Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 1:35pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting in on a taller opponent

I'm not very tall so my opponent usually has a reach advantage on me. Frequently when I spar I have trouble getting close enough to my opponent- too often when I try to close the distance I end up eating a jab without making much progress. Clearly a big part of my problem is that I need to work my foot work. If you've been in this situation what strategies have worked for you? I'm asking this in the context of boxing, but I'd be interested in hearing from kick boxers as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if I'm against someone significantly taller than me, I stay low to offset the reach of their jab and weave my way in.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search function. Topic covered recently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Search function. Topic covered recently.

My search didn't come up with anything, can you post the link? I've been thinking about this all day because this is the reason I got owned sparring last night. The guy I was working with had my number, but if I'd had a better game plan it would have gone a long way.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    if I'm against someone significantly taller than me, I stay low to offset the reach of their jab and weave my way in.
    She's right. As a taller guy, this is how short people get inside on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:52pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is probably a stupid way to do it, but I've had some success just covering up and walking forward, eating punches til i get close enough to swing back.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep punching. You're not going to be able to out jab so don't bother trying. The classic moves would be right hook up top or straight to the body just under the heart.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 2:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    This is probably a stupid way to do it, but I've had some success just covering up and walking forward, eating punches til i get close enough to swing back.
    That's one way to do it, and it'll work on most schlubs I reckon, but a good counter fighter or someone with good footwork will tear you up before you get inside.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    This is exactly what was getting me in trouble; it was like Kid S. said, his footwork was too good for me to just over-power him like that. When I took the defensive I didn't have a problem but when I went on the offensive he was able to land a lot of shots while keeping his distance. Once I calmed down and stopped being recklessly aggresive I started to be able to slip his jabs (I'm fairly new to boxing so this is something I'm just starting to be able to do) but I ran out of time before I could take advantage of it. My coach suggested that I might have been able to get in an over-hand right when I did that.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to work more on cutting off the ring. Force them into to the corners. Try working more movement drills with a partner where you cut off their movement.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast