Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bok Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I know both of the individuals personally, and no, I cannot comment in any detail because their names are not being released to the public. The story is much more complicated than the media would suggest.

For argument's sake, if the instructor admits to, say, poking a student in the ribs as a joke, then it comes down to his word against the student's as to wether this contact was done with intent of "arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust, passions, or sexual desires of that person or the child." California penal code is very much open to interpretation here. The press makes it sound as nasty as possible in order to sell more papers.

If I had a daughter, I would definitely feel comfortable having her work with this instructor.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bok Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, yeah, and class sizes at the school have been exactly the same. Things are running as normal at the school since the incident, which happened over a month ago. So, it is obvious that the other students and parents feel the same way I do.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:42pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    So why does the article say that he admitted wrongdoing to the police?

The article seems to indicate that the students were minors. How old were they?
    You didn't answer these questions. Then you're implying that the contact was accidental, joking, or misinterpreted and then say the situation is "complicated".

We didn't ask for the girl's names, thats a misinterpretation on your part.

If you are claiming the contact was innocent, then what did he admit to the police.

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:08pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I called the prosecutor's office. He was arrested for two counts of 288(c)(1) and one count of 647.6 (a) which is the misdemeanor charge. The office tells me his arraignment is on 9-27-2006 and typically, but not always, the District Attorney's Office will decide to file charges by that time. If they decide not to file charges the arrest would be either dismissed or vacated depending on what terms they use out there.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 7:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

He wasn't upstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous25 View Post
    "Inappropriate contact" can mean anything. I have had students run up and hug me after class. This could be construed as inappropriate. The nature of martial arts when you are doing self-defense manuvers is that you have to touch other people.

is a junior instructor training program for the kids and teens, and another for adults. Sometimes in rare instances, teens (14 and above) that show an unusual amount of maturity and dedication to the school are allowed to join the adult instructor training program.

This is not a "McSchool" by any means. This school does not hand out belts. This school has very high standards; it has been open for 5 years and does not have any black belts yet. It is associated with 3 other schools in the area that were started by Mr. Terry Kane, who has been in the business for over 30 years. All four schools have a very good reputation.

The only thing that this instructor has ever done wrong is to care too much about his students. He is too friendly, too approachable. I guess in this business, you can't do that. You have to be cold and impersonal. It is a sad world we live in where a teacher cannot hug a student for fear of being arrested.

It's been a while since this has happened, I knew Mr. Smith personally. At first he did come across nice and caring, but with girls he was totally inappropriate. I was a teenager at the time and he did some very inappropriate things. I wasn't the one to come forward, but after hearing that two girls came forward, I felt guilty about not filing a complaint because others were hurt and I didn't say anything. He is very good at hiding this part of him, most abusers are. Lots of abusers come across as wonderful people, and when they are inappropriate they have a way of sweet talking you into not telling anyone, or questioning yourself even though you know it was wrong. He didn't do these things unless he was alone with a girl, he didn't want anyone else to see or know about it. You can't tell by looking at someone that they are this way, and when you think highly of someone it's hard to accept that they are a sleeze. I know without a doubt that Mr. Smith did this things to those girls because he did some things to me as well, but I was too young and niave, but now I know better.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noobgrl View Post
    It's been a while since this has happened, I knew Mr. Smith personally. At first he did come across nice and caring, but with girls he was totally inappropriate. I was a teenager at the time and he did some very inappropriate things. I wasn't the one to come forward, but after hearing that two girls came forward, I felt guilty about not filing a complaint because others were hurt and I didn't say anything. He is very good at hiding this part of him, most abusers are. Lots of abusers come across as wonderful people, and when they are inappropriate they have a way of sweet talking you into not telling anyone, or questioning yourself even though you know it was wrong. He didn't do these things unless he was alone with a girl, he didn't want anyone else to see or know about it. You can't tell by looking at someone that they are this way, and when you think highly of someone it's hard to accept that they are a sleeze. I know without a doubt that Mr. Smith did this things to those girls because he did some things to me as well, but I was too young and niave, but now I know better.
    Would you be willing to go into greater detail on the extent and manner of Mr. Smith's inappropriate behavior?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 9:05pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there:

Without going into graphic detail, what were his actions that were "inappropriate?"

Was he ever convicted of any crime, and if so, which one or ones?
    Last edited by Sam Browning; 8/24/2010 9:12pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12