Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sentence in choking death jolts victim's kin

excerpted...
    Sentence in choking death jolts victim's kin

By Natalie Singer and Nathan Hurst
    Seattle Times

Alan Cole was killed while wrestling with a friend.

Robert Burke tearfully told the family of a friend he accidentally killed during a wrestling match that he was sorry and would take it all back if he could.

But Burke's apology wasn't enough for the family of Alan Cole, the 26-year-old man who died in November after the two wrestled in a Shoreline apartment while drinking. And for Cole's family, Burke's punishment wasn't enough either.

Police and paramedics who were called to a Shoreline apartment on Nov. 19 found Cole on a bedroom floor, not breathing. In another bedroom was Cole's roommate, passed out from drinking, according to the police report.

Burke and a fourth friend were out on the balcony, where Burke was crying and talking on his cellphone, according to the charging papers.

Police said Burke later told them what had happened: Burke, his friend Cole and a third friend had been drinking. Burke and Cole started wrestling, and Cole demanded they continue wrestling after Burke tried to go to sleep. Eventually, Burke placed Cole in a chokehold.

According to police reports, Burke said he was on top of Cole's back, put his left arm around Cole's neck and held him there for a moment while Cole was talking to him.

Burke told King County sheriff's investigators that when he released Cole, his friend just "lay limp on the floor," and that after noticing that Cole's hands were blue, the friends called 911 and tried to resuscitate him.

Cole died from a lack of oxygen to his brain, caused by a compression of the neck during a physical struggle, according to the King County Medical Examiner's Office.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...&date=20060812
    (Full article)

This is a weird case, read the full article for all the sentencing details.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This almost happened to me once. I don't drink and grapple anymore...
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 2:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Undeclared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, the family members of the poor victim sound like a bunch of asshats. "He needs jail time." Please. Don't they think Burke is going to be tormented for the rest of his life after accidentally killing a friend under his own arm? What could be worse?

Well, yeah, 8 years in prison would be worse.

But why can't they just admit that it's a terrible and tragic thing that happened, and move forward?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 2:46pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FormatC
    Man, the family members of the poor victim sound like a bunch of asshats. "He needs jail time." Please. Don't they think Burke is going to be tormented for the rest of his life after accidentally killing a friend under his own arm? What could be worse?

Well, yeah, 8 years in prison would be worse.

But why can't they just admit that it's a terrible and tragic thing that happened, and move forward?
    I'm not saying you're wrong but it sounds to me you don't have kids.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Undeclared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Haha. No, you're right: I don't.

So it's just objective vs. subjective reality then? Damn, I hate that.
    Last edited by FormatC; 8/29/2006 3:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 3:42pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M.A.D.A.G.

Mothers against drunking and grappling

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    I understand the point that you're making but I have a son and I'm still not sure what side of the fence I sit on here. Someone intentionally hurting your kid is one thing but two guys play fighting and one accidentally chokes the other out a little too hard or for too long? I don't know...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 7:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    M.A.D.A.G.

Mothers against drunking and grappling
    M.A.CH.A.D.O.

Mothers Against CHoking A Dumbass Out

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 7:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungkorn Dam
    I understand the point that you're making but I have a son and I'm still not sure what side of the fence I sit on here. Someone intentionally hurting your kid is one thing but two guys play fighting and one accidentally chokes the other out a little too hard or for too long? I don't know...
    It was more in the statement that they were a bunch of 'asshats'. You with a son can at least understand. I don't have to concur with them to understand how they feel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 12:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got choked unconscious in a fight with one of my old housemates. He was being an asshole so I started to beat on him. :boxing: We were real drunk, by the way. So I knocked him on his ass, stood back to admire my work, and he got up and tackled me and busted my face open. I was covered in blood and there was blood all over the carpet and sprayed on the walls. For weeks afterwards people would come over and think someone got killed in the livingroom. Then for some reason he let me up, and we squared off. I went to kick his knee, meaning to break it, and he took me down again and choked me out. :new_sleep It was awfully nice of him to do that, since I was trying to cripple him and all. I didn't die, though. Good times.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast