Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 4:44pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lost alot of weight... what should I do.

Aright, so I just got mono.. went from about 200 to 179 right now, I'm still losing weight though because I'm still stick. It wouldn't surprise me if I got down to 170 or so, so how should I go about properly putting on the right kind of weight?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop being sick and start eating. That should get you fixed.

Do you lift at all?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ What Poops said. Also, how tall are you, and how old are you? It makes a difference if you are 5'4" or 6'4" or if you are 18 or 38.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mono sucks cock...back in the day when I was a baller ;) I caught mono the summer between my sophomore and junior years in High School. Missed all the prep star camps I was supposed to play in and didn't get "noticed" until my Senior year.

I dropped 21 pounds in 10 days...no energy, can't eat...mono sucks cock.

It took about 2 months for my body to recover.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 8:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what this mononucleosis is. I mena, I've only heard about it in this forum and a lot of american movies and TV shows, enough times mentioned as to beleive is pretty common (or at least, not unheard of) there, but I don't know a single person who ever got mononucleosis or who knows somebody who got it.

Why is it (seems) so common there and uncommon here?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BANJO THE GREAT!!!! LMAO!!

He's a handpuppet from a webcomic called Order of the Stick (which, I'll admit, is considerably funnier if you're familiar with... D&D).

Sweet.

Ahem.

Ok, you're down 21 pounds, which is not great, but it's nothing you can't recover from. Two things jump to mind immediately:

A) Remember, protein is NOT just for gaining muscle. Nearly every metabolic process in the human body either directly or indirectly requires amino acids. Insufficient dietary protein (at regular intervals) requires the body to catabolize existing muscle tissue to free up these amino acids. Keep your protein intake up to help prevent further weight loss.

B) Stay hydrated. Water is fairly heavy. Just under 8 & 1/2 pounds per gallon. Flush a cup of pee and you just lost over a pound. Drink a 32oz Gatorade(tm) and you just gained back two pounds.

When you're sick you probably don't have an appetite. Get SOME protein even if you have to toss down a scoop of Designer Whey, and get some fluids, even if it's just chicken broth.

Get some sleep!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2006 1:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo(THE)Great
    Aright, so I just got mono.. went from about 200 to 179 right now, I'm still losing weight though because I'm still stick. It wouldn't surprise me if I got down to 170 or so, so how should I go about properly putting on the right kind of weight?
    Mono is awesome for lifters/MAists from what I've heard (although this may just be a meaningless isolated incident freak of nature but this is a true story.) I have a friend who was in good shape before he had mono and he was about 9-12% Body fat. He lost 20 pounds and then gained them right back within 3 weeks after he got beter and now he is literally 6% body fat at the same weight he was before he got mono without even lifting or doing anything evcept laying in bed sick. It seems to have some kind of wierd condition where it eliminates fat and builds back muscle.

NOTE: I am fully aware of how stupid this sounds but again I will repeat that it IS a true story
    Last edited by kracker; 8/18/2006 1:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2006 1:47pm

Style: Linear Hand Techniques

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought he was gonna say he just got divorced.

..... anyway, sounds like you got some good advice already.

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 3:15pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    I wonder what this mononucleosis is. I mena, I've only heard about it in this forum and a lot of american movies and TV shows, enough times mentioned as to beleive is pretty common (or at least, not unheard of) there, but I don't know a single person who ever got mononucleosis or who knows somebody who got it.

Why is it (seems) so common there and uncommon here?

Infectious mononucleosis (commonly called "mono") is a viral illness usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Mono most commonly develops in young adults between the ages of 15 and 24.1 The virus can be spread through contact with saliva, mucus (from the nose and throat), and sometimes tears. Rarely, EBV is spread through blood transfusions. Because the virus can be spread through saliva, mono is sometimes called the kissing disease.

Once you have been infected with EBV, your body may periodically shed (or give off) the virus throughout your lifetime, possibly spreading the virus to others.2 This can occur despite the fact that you do not have symptoms after your initial mono infection; the virus may still be found in your saliva many months after you have recovered from your symptoms. Some newly infected people may not have any symptoms of mono and may not be aware they are spreading the virus that causes mono.

It is estimated that 90% to 95% of adults in the world have EBV-antibodies, having been infected with the Epstein-Barr virus at some point in their lives. The vast majority of infections do not result in the development of mononucleosis. The virus infects B cells (B-lymphocytes), producing a reactive lymphocytosis and the atypical T cells (T-lymphocytes). Early childhood infections often cause no symptoms. In developed countries with less crowded conditions and better hygiene, children do not commonly become infected until adolescence. Since they also typically begin dating at that age, the co-occurrence of mono and kissing have led to its being called the "kissing disease," although this is but one of its modes of transmission.

The incidence of clinically recognizable infectious mononucleosis caused by EBV is estimated at 45 per 100 000 in the US. In developing countries, an estimated 90% of children undergo an asymptomatic EBV-infection, and thus are not susceptible to infectious mononucleosis of EBV.
    Last edited by War Wizard; 8/19/2006 3:19pm at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the explanation, Hitman.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast