Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 6:06pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sierpinski, yes, I meant folks who will still chamber their kicks 20 years after they learned them.

Forms will teach you an incredible amount of stuff. Not fighting, but a lot of what supports it past a "kicking superficial ass" level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 10:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if we assume that the 20 year practitioner doesn't suck and has in fact been told for the past 19 years to quit chambering kicks, then necessarily it must be a part of correct form (or, to avoid confusion, letís say correct technique).

Chambering as a concept varies greatly from style to style. In wushu, kicks that at the outset I would have described as having a chamber, there's no breakdown of parts of the kick, you kick, if you have to bend your knee some, then whatever, it's still just part of the kick. That's opposed to the TKD I've done, which is taught in a very broken-down manner, meaning every technique has different parts, then to put them together real fast, but there are still distinct phases to every move. Is this method of thinking/teaching good or bad...hard to say, some will respond well to it, others not so much.

But to give my answer to your question, I would say that if I learned Kick X in Form Y as having a chamber, then it always will. Later on there may be a variant that has less chamber for more speed or less telegraphing or whatever, but many kicks in the syllabus of the system will have chambers forever if they have them on day one.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123