221942 Bullies, 4157 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhistate
    Next up the gov gets involved, and they start taxing and regulating instruction, and unless you want to learn a clean and sanitized version of MMA (lawsuits, remember, from stupid people will show up left and right), you won't be able to do any MA unless it is underground.
    That would already be the case. This would just be an independant org that would create a database of quality schools. Hardly something that the gov could get involved in.

Sounds like your idea, while well-intentioned, aims at all schools looking the same, acting the same, and striving for the same thing, which is hardly the case. You'd turn MA into boxing.
    This is like arguing that MMA venues aim at making everyone do the same thing. Yet we still have various arts that focus their expertise in various ranges of fighting. Why is that?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 11:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like your idea, while well-intentioned, aims at all schools looking the same, acting the same, and striving for the same thing, which is hardly the case. You'd turn MA into boxing.
    I don't think anyone is interested in schools looking or acting the same. The goal is for students striving for the same thing (in this case improved fighting ability) to be able to get it in a semi-quality controlled manner. By and large, that simply means training that consists of resisting opponents and frank, honest instruction about what can realistically be expected to work.

From this point of view, you could look at a school that does forms and other...I'll say 'less-than-realistic' training, but that also encourages hard sparring, good fighting habits, etc. Is this type of school going to pump out world class fighters, no. But so long as this school is directly making its students better fighters, and encourages students who want more to go out and get it, I say fantastic. I should note that I've qualified the outcomes as 'direct' because many might make the case that a more fit student is automatically a better fighter, but the instruction should do more than that.

I should say that I don't necessarily believe that a school needs to train fighters (I mean, I train wushu...I'd never use it to fight, it's an absolute blast and far and away one of the best workouts I've ever had); but if that's what they say they do, then they better do it right.

There is a right and a wrong way to learn to fight. The problem is that most people don't know any better and thus prefer to train the wrong way...so schools have solved that problem by saying the wrong way is in fact the right way and come up with lots of excuses to prove it.
    Last edited by Lv1Sierpinski; 8/13/2006 11:11pm at .

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 6:19am

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No...

How many businesses belong to the BBB? A school belongs and has a review on the Org website. Mabey a scale of 1-10 or a five star rating like this.

John doe's martial arts center:

Score 1-10. 1 being the worst 10 being the highest.

Overal rating 8
    Mcdojo traits 3 (charges, teaches children,)
    Mcsensei traits 3 (charges, teaches children,)
    Instruction 9
    Student quality 9
    Competitive quality 1 (students don't compete)
    Club quality 7 (new building)
    When You absolutely have to hide a body...try Alaska.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 6:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do like the thought of some type of centralized system to give info (of a general nature, like can I drop in if I'm just in town for a week) as well as ratings. It is tough to get rating systems to give an accurate account of a school. I think providing a good breakdown of different areas is the key, make performance indicators very specific. You're also then left with the issue of who rates them...students know the place, but are hardly good objective judges of a school's shortcomings.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good idea, needs better execution. Building quality? Nyet. Same with kids. Just teaching kids doesn't mean it's a mcdojo. See boxing, wrestling, judo. Same as with adults, the difference is aliveness and competition.

A simple pass/fail would help keep politics and subjective judgements to a minimum. Do you train 'alive'? Then you meet the minimum requirements.

You'd turn MA into boxing.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Alive sparring, focus on competition, great conditioning, effective technique, low cost, free youth programs (PAL), good infrastructure, etc. More 'MAs' should have those.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12