Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No style yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Where I trained in the late nineties my instructor used me as the nOoB and giant killer. I would always be the first person they sparred with and I guess it was to prove a point. It does make for some cool success stories for sure although it didn't always work out as planned. haha
    lol, on a couple of occasions when I visited classes, I ended up being that giant.

What I find kind of amusing is that a lot of people seem to think that if you're a 6'6" bodybuilder, you must necessarily have a big ego and you need to be put in your place. Great, you kicked my ass. Yeah, sure showed me. Would you like me to sign an official notice of vanquishment?

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 12:05am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glutamine
    lol, on a couple of occasions when I visited classes, I ended up being that giant.

What I find kind of amusing is that a lot of people seem to think that if you're a 6'6" bodybuilder, you must necessarily have a big ego and you need to be put in your place. Great, you kicked my ass. Yeah, sure showed me. Would you like me to sign an official notice of vanquishment?
    admittedly, alot of smaller guys have the tiniest bit of a napoleon syndrome, but guys who look like :wcacjack usaully are cocky as all hell about their ability to kick a little man's ass. and hey, if getting your ass kicked by a smaller dude is not the same type of thing as getting your ass tapped by a little lady for your ego, i don't know what is.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:17am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can pretend you're a weak, innocent little ***** who doesn't want trouble, whilst lining yourself up to unleash the perfect sucker punch.

Caveat: This does not work in a ring fight scenario.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it hurt your feelings to loose to a small guy. Have you gotten over it yet? Notice where I said "my instructor used me" and re-think your reply to my post. I have no ego, nor do I or did I have little man's syndrome or a Napolean complex. But if it makes you sleep better at night, then send me your official notice and I'll sign it.

:binkybaby
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Embarassing aspiring thugs since 1991

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:26am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the hindrance to bodybuilders' speed is big muscles, per se. It's the stiffness and tension that often results from heavy lifting.
    Dont know many professional bodybuilders huh? Ever see a posing routine?That **** about being stiff and too tense is an old wives tale made up by pussies that want an excuse not to lift. Ronnie Coleman is damn near 300 lbs of muscle and can almost drop into a full split. **** for that matter im 285 ask anyone that has ever rolled with me how slow or stiff I am. Its all about the training regiment brother.

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by groundcontrolba
    Its all about the training regiment brother.
    True dat, true dat...

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:40am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally see being small as an advantage when learning. Big strong guys can often muscle things, that is until they go against someone far superior or stronger. Little guys have to learn things right otherwise they just don't work. Of course being big and having a strong focus on technique would be better, but being small lends itself to being forced into a more technical learning approach.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    if getting your ass kicked by a smaller dude is not the same type of thing as getting your ass tapped by a little lady for your ego, i don't know what is.
    You're right; it's pretty much the same thing. The only difference is the orgasm.

But anyway, to un-derail this post--obviously my opinion is biased (and I'm an MA noob to boot), but I can't think of any reason I'd want to be smaller than I am. From a self-defense perspective, being huge seems to be a pretty good deterrent against being bothered in the first place.

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a self-defense perspective, being huge seems to be a pretty good deterrent against being bothered in the first place.
    Yup. I know a lot of big guys who can't fight for **** and some who have never fought period. Why, cause they are big and they are cool. Big is deterrent #1, cool is deterrent #2.

Deterrent #3 for my high school buddy is he gets mistaken for Tank Abbot. That actually could be good and bad. Somebody may pop his ass one day...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 1:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    I guess it hurt your feelings to loose to a small guy. Have you gotten over it yet? Notice where I said "my instructor used me" and re-think your reply to my post. I have no ego, nor do I or did I have little man's syndrome or a Napolean complex. But if it makes you sleep better at night, then send me your official notice and I'll sign it.

:binkybaby
    Re-reading the post, I can see why you took it personally when I didn't mean it that way. I in no way meant to imply that *you* had insecurities or had something to prove. I was only making a general comment on what I've experienced personally during my own visits to different schools. I could have been clearer.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast