Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 3:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thread states that only the founder is worth a **** @ utilizing it's functionality, therefore a teacher is only as good as his best student, this form is more for show than play alot like the cracker box variety of tae kwon do practiced in shopping strip malls all over the US. If your looking for something that will teach you functional martial arts, keep on looking.

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 6:53am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it has been years since I worked in and out of Binghamton in the late 1960's and early 1970's; when in town, I used to work out with Hidy Ochiai but only Judo and he was a fairly good Judoka as memory serves me, sandan maybe.

Being a former practitioner in Matsubayashiryu I would talk about the various karate stuff with him and assumed that he had learned Wado ryu and/or shotokan, maybe something esle, somewhere in Japan, then decided to mix a few methods and called washin ryu. He seemed to be okay with that since he was raised in Japan and that was the way he wanted to continue karate.

Given the dismal state of karate in the States at that time I didn't care what he called his method -- he was much better at it than all the rest of the phony dick wipes I had met after retuning from Okinawa; so whatever he did was okay by me. He was a fun guy to work out with and always laughing, so he is okay in my book. I figured if my Okinawan sensei made up his own method to honor his past sensei then Hidy could too.

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Washin Ryu, Iaido

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Works fine for me!

When I lived in Buffalo I was mugged by two men, I told myself that isn't going to happen again so when I moved back to Norwich I studied Washin Ryu at the YMCA. I practiced my katas in the yard until the pattern was worn through the grass (all linear type).
    I know from first hand experience the system does work. The good news I think that if you are diligent probably most systems would work. What I practiced in katas I was able to put in practice in the streets. They wouldn't show me advanced techniques because of my temper but I've had criminals pull weapons on me, I've had to get rough with them but I sent them packing because I am determinined not give them another thing.
    I would give you this advice though. Practice until it is a reaction. When you are in a real life situation a criminal with a weapon will already have it out and ready to shoot it at you or strike you with it. The criminals I ran into in Buffalo, Harrisburg and New York City were not expecting to run into someone who would grab their hand and twist it into an uncomfortable position. Don't be cruel though civil suit defense = $75,000.00 and it's decided by a jury majority who may decide you didn't have to be so 'forceful' and that you should pay medical care for that poor mugger.
    I would also say that the training I received has helped me keep my temper in check and not to over react to a coward who thought some puny knife or pistol was going to steer me like the rudder on a ship.
    As far as all the trash talk by the entrant whose user name is 50/50 my advice for you for a long life is stay on your campus and play touch with your boyfriends. Stay off Grant Street or Peace Park in Buffalo after dark, stay out of The Hill in Harrisburg and stay out of Alphabet City in NYC. In other words avoid the areas where your training will be tested in fire. All the technique and dance class isn't going to help you if you wet your pants when you have a sawed off shotgun stuck in your chest. My advice to trashtalkers is stay out of the jungle.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 6:32am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No0b necro of a 2006 thread which was originally posted in MABS, and wasn't MABS worthy by today's standards, hence moved here.

Given this is now a YMAS thread, please feel free to lambast said No0b's opinion(s)
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 6:43am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lolol

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 7:48am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberg View Post
    When I lived in Buffalo I was mugged by two men, I told myself that isn't going to happen again so when I moved back to Norwich I studied Washin Ryu at the YMCA. I practiced my katas in the yard until the pattern was worn through the grass (all linear type).

I know from first hand experience the system does work.
    O'Rly ?

The good news I think that if you are diligent probably most systems would work.
    You're wrong

What I practiced in katas I was able to put in practice in the streets. They wouldn't show me advanced techniques because of my temper but I've had criminals pull weapons on me, I've had to get rough with them but I sent them packing because I am determinined not give them another thing.
    In reality, there's no such thing as an "advanced technique" ... Just ordinary techniques which someone with a greater understanding and ability can perform to a higher standard.

I would give you this advice though. Practice until it is a reaction. When you are in a real life situation a criminal with a weapon will already have it out and ready to shoot it at you or strike you with it.
    Flawed rationale based on an assumption that what someone studies is actually useful in the first place and not some cobbled-up, untested bullshit.

The criminals I ran into in Buffalo, Harrisburg and New York City were not expecting to run into someone who would grab their hand and twist it into an uncomfortable position.
    Nor were those who Steven Segal is shown doing the same thing to on screen (fiction) however, he couldn't stop someone used to fully resistance based training choking the **** (literally) out of him (the reality). My point is, your opinions are not only flawed but also nothing more than rhetoric rubbish.

Don't be cruel though civil suit defense = $75,000.00 and it's decided by a jury majority who may decide you didn't have to be so 'forceful' and that you should pay medical care for that poor mugger.
    What ?

I would also say that the training I received has helped me keep my temper in check and not to over react to a coward who thought some puny knife or pistol was going to steer me like the rudder on a ship.
    Stupid, plus more rhetoric.

As far as all the trash talk by the entrant whose user name is 50/50 my advice for you for a long life is stay on your campus and play touch with your boyfriends.
    Ban please for homophobic undertones.

Stay off Grant Street or Peace Park in Buffalo after dark, stay out of The Hill in Harrisburg and stay out of Alphabet City in NYC. In other words avoid the areas where your training will be tested in fire.
    Dumbass

All the technique and dance class isn't going to help you if you wet your pants when you have a sawed off shotgun stuck in your chest. My advice to trashtalkers is stay out of the jungle.
    My advice is shut the **** up.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 12:36pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Long retarded story...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doublefacepalm.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	14602

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its like back on the mean streets of Bakersfield, Kalamazoo and Forks Washingoton when knife wielding thugs would try to stab me, but I was like "LOW X BLOCK, BITCH" and then start knocking out teeth with shutos and front snap kicks. "It's a good thing I practiced kata until it parted the mighty grass" I thought to myself as I rode away on one of their motorcycles.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Its like back on the mean streets of Bakersfield, Kalamazoo and Forks Washingoton when knife wielding thugs would try to stab me, but I was like "LOW X BLOCK, BITCH" and then start knocking out teeth with shutos and front snap kicks. "It's a good thing I practiced kata until it parted the mighty grass" I thought to myself as I rode away on one of their motorcycles.
    Should I start another eBay auction for the latest batch of Black Widows' bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 3:25pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The criminals I ran into in Buffalo, Harrisburg and New York City were not expecting to run into someone who would grab their hand and twist it into an uncomfortable position.
    ... like, against your crotch?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast