Style
    Undecided.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to martial arts, looking for direction and some recommendations for Indianapolis.

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking in Bullshido for a while now, I read all the threads, and I feel ready to post.

I'm new to martial arts, so of course I won't pretend to know diddly-squat. I was interested in a few martial arts now that I've come down from my obesity. (Used to weigh 310, now I'm down to 280.)

I've looked at a couple of things, but sadly, they don't seem to be readily available in my area. I'm interested in Capoeira because of how free the movements are. I'd LOVE to be able to move like a capoerista, but I'm a little worried that my build is wrong for it. I have a very classic Scottish build where my upper body is rather tall, but my lower body is a tad shorter (which includes my legs).

I do still have quite a bit of fat left to burn, as well, but I've come a long way. I can bench 113 kg (250 lbs) now, where I used to be able to just barely lift the bar. All the fat has been burned from my neck area, and my heart is in much better shape. Still have a long way to go, but I'm feeling confident about my path and progress.

Another thing I was looking at was Hapkido, or perhaps, Combat Hapkido. I did read a few threads here, and people say there isn't much difference. (The whole "sport vs street" argument is silly, apparently.) I was more interested because the wikipedia article said that it was a mix of JKD and Hapkido, both of which I was independently interested in, so you can imagine the attraction. (It could be totally wrong, though.) I have this strange, almost forced habit in real fights to grapple, and I liked the versatility of JKD, so that's where my attraction for that art comes from.

Lastly, I was looking at Ninjutsu, if for no other reason than to be able to learn the various weapons of the trade. Perhaps this one has a bit too much romantic appeal to be practical, or not.

Well, the whole reason for posting here is to find out if all of this is bullshido, as well as finding out if it's all out of my reach. I live on the west side of Indianapolis, and while there are a few dojos around, they are consistently traditional karate or TKD, neither of which particularly capture my interest. Would anyone have any particular recommendations for the Indianapolis area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: Anyone have any experience with Indianapolis Martial Arts Institute? It's master, Jason Michael Thomas, was supposedly taught by a fellow by the name of Robert J. Cooper, who, to quote the Nuvo page I'm not allowed to link to yet, is "a 10th degree black belt level in Jujitsu, a 9th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and on the Mestre level (highest attainable) in Capoeira Angola". I don't know, smells fishy.
    Last edited by wolvenreign; 3/01/2013 3:28pm at . Reason: Added info about a potential candidate.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may not enjoy capoeira much at 280lbs- it takes a level of athleticism that people who aren't obese have trouble with. Ninjutsu is such a fiction that even if you find someone who will teach you ninjutsu weapons, its likely they're teaching something that they or someone else in the last 20 years thought up while swinging a sword around. Plus, ninjutsu isn't well known for physical fitness- there's lots of high level ninjutsu dudes that are obese. Hapkido is a very mixed bag of things and varies depending on where its taught. Since you mentioned grappling you'd be well served getting into Brazilian jujitsu or judo. Or if you want to stick with weapon stuff you should look into Filipino martial arts- a more realistic array of weapons and trained in a way that's not showy or contrived.

Style
    Undecided.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, thanks for the help, guys. Now to find a reliable Judo place in Indy.

Edit: Let's say I wanted to get into good enough shape to do Capoeira. Would you have any particular recommendations for that? I'd likely end up using it as a form of cross-training, anyway, as I know it's not supposed to be useful in a real fight. I just think about how it would feel to do such free motions and get all giddy inside. =P

Oh, and is it impossible to do Capoeira if you have relatively short legs to your tall torso?
    Last edited by wolvenreign; 3/01/2013 3:31pm at .

Style
    Undecided.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the double post, but it seems I'm not allowed to edit my post any more.

Wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about "Mudokwan", a Judo dojo that is within my area.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, Capoeira is known as more of a dance than an actual martial art. Even the members of said discipline will readily admit that.

If you really want to have some cool and awesome movements like that, I'd recommend a tricking school.

If it must be a "true" martial arts, then I'd recommend TKD, if you can find one that isn't a Bullshido but still teaches you to do those awesome flip kicks.

At 280lbs, I'd say you're a bit top-heavy to trick or flip. However, don't let that stop you. With training, I'm sure that you can do it.

As I am a relative beginner, I'll allow others to answer how to train. We do have a Physical Training forum just for questions like that though. However, you can NEVER go wrong with cardio.

Judo is an extremely effective and, in my humble opinion, one of the best styles to learn.
    Good luck