Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a waste of $$$ IMO. You are going to buy it, use it for a few days and they you will forget about it. I'd rather keep a log of stuff I see at class, and mentally go over stuff at home, OR work on my conditioning in a way that's specific for grappling. I would do that if I were you.

****, if you have the money to blow, go for it. However, the way things are. I doubt it will be THAT useful. I guess it would be useful for practicing throws without risking hurting your partner... and that's if and only if the dummy is as heavy and stiff as a resisting man. Even then, that's such minimal gains from a $600 investment.

Meh, better work on your grappling-specific conditioning when you are not training. Try this http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

Or get a basketball (or medicine ball) and use it for these drills:

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/basketball.html
    http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/basketball2.html
    http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/basketball3.html

There man. Don't buy that thing. I just don't see how you are get a good return on your investment.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 2:43pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glutamine
    I actually already have about $2,000 worth of weight equipment that I bought without considering that I might, you know, want to move out of my mom's house someday. I'm now trying to sell it. On top of the fact that it would be a pain to pack 1,000 pounds of metal with me, I've decided that sleeping on the floor because there's no room for a bed and worrying about putting a hole in the wall with the barbell is for the birds. As soon as I get this stuff sold, I'll be using a commercial gym.

And BTW, if anybody is interested in buying a very nice home gym...
    Then where do you plan on using the dummy?

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you're reasonably well off and can afford the extra expense, so buy whatever you like.

But logically (in my head), unless the average size of your grappling buddies is 6'2", I don't see how training with a large dummy will be better than a 5'10" dummy. Get whatever is closest to your opponents.

And if you really want to grapple non-resisting dummies, $500 will buy a lot of Bujinkan classes...
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 12:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No style yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsufubu
    It sounds like you're reasonably well off and can afford the extra expense
    Not really. I've just made a lot of sacrifices and stretched my money so I could buy this stuff.

The sandbag idea looks promising. I'll try that. I might also make one of those cheap DIY dummies that I've seen linked in other threads. If it turns out I hate it, I guess I can always spend the 500 or 600 later.

Maybe it's good you guys talked me out of this. I just wish I could take classes 6 times a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 1:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While everybody has already beat me to this one, I would cast a vote for skipping the dummy as well based upon my past experience with similar items.

However, if for some reason you do decide to purchase one, I would suggest staying with the standard model for two reasons. First, I would guess that it would approximate more opponents, being closer to the "average" height of males.

Second, it would be smaller and thus easier to manipulate. Perhaps it would be lighter as well. I remember purchasing a full sized, 100 pound takedown dummy when I was overly interested in highschool wrestling. Even though I outweighed the dummy tremendously, it was way beyond my capabilities to throw effectively, or even move. It is very easy to overestimate our abilities on a seemingly inanimate object.

You would, however, get a decent tax deduction when you inevitably donate it to a wrestling program. That's where mine ended up, though I didn't bother with the deduction. $600 could buy alot of beer . . .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12