Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 10:21am

Style: Some time ago: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Basic Road Running Advice

I realised the other day that I haven't one any sustained physical exercise in the last 5 years, partly due to a lack of time but mostly because I'm a great big lazy ***** about it.

So, to ease myself back into physical exercise, I've decided to start doing some road running in the morning,. At the moment I've just started doing a quick and easy 1-mile loop but obviously I'm looking to increase that once my body gets over the shock of moving at speed.

I'd like to know what people would recommend as a decent ramp-up and sustained distance would be. All the training plans I've googled up are for training for doing a marathon or half-marathon. I'm not looknig to do anything that specific, just get my CV so that my heart-rate doesn't spike when I wander from the kitchen to my study. I've also got a large (hilly) park practically next door to my flat is off-road and gradient running would add to the exercise

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first, get good shoes.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 11:01am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know your age, but I would say don't jog.

Over the long haul jogging will mess up you knees.

If you can't maintain a full stride then walk awhile.

The best (and hardest) way is to sprint for say 100 yards and then walk 100 yards and repeat. And it may sound weird, but it is actually easier on your legs to run up hill than down hill. If you have hills sprint up the hill, and walk down the other side.

I worked my way up from 1 mile to 5 miles over the last five months. I do the sprint walk thing (mostly walk when it is 103F).

I would concur with the previous advice on shoes. I had old sneakers that I cut the grass in that I started with and my heels would hurt. I finally broke down and bought some actual running shoes and I could feel the difference 3 steps out my front door. No foot / leg pain at all.

p.s. I'm 45.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 11:14am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha ha just re read the title of the thread...

My main advice is stay one step ahead of the Cyote! then grab some :new_popco
    and watch him get squished or fall off a cliff or blown up. :toothy2:
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go easy at first, and, mucho importante, flex and stretch your ankles, calves and shin muscles, and massage your shins, before and after jogging. Last thing you want is splin shins.

As Rhamma said, going up hill is easier and safer. That's one of the reasons I prever to jog on a threadmill (which I usually set at an incline). If you develop shin splins, just stop jogging, do extra shin stretches and wait until they are gone.

Honestly, for a daily or sort-of-daily exercise, I prefer doing 10-15 minutes of jumping jacks or skipping (both barefoot) with short breaks in between than jogging on the pavement. I found them to be easier on my shins.

Jogging on the road is something I wouldn't do more than twice a week... maybe because I'm a lazy *****, I dunno.

btw... get good NEW shoes.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 6:16am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running used to kill my knees and ankles, I thought because I'm not built like a runner. (That should read "less than svelte")

My running stride was too long. If you are a heavy heel striker, it will trash your joints in the long run. Shorten your stride a bit and try to come down on you midfoot. This will make a huge difference, as will good shoes.

don't be afraid to slow down. Give yourself one day a week where you do a long slow run. That means at a pace where you can still talk or sing. Running hill sprints, like someone mentioned, are great also.

Go slow when you are starting out. If something hurts, figure out why and do something that alleviates the pain.

A good thing for shin splints, sit down on a bench, lay a 45lbs plate on your toes and lift your toes up. This will help strengthen the muscles.

Buy good shoes.
    Buy good shoes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 7:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So just to be clear, the main message I'm getting is that I can wear any old pair of shoes?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes! perhaps it's time to break out those heels you've been saving for a special occasion?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, preferably stilletos.

Seriously... the buy good new shoes is spot on... but try and research and analyse whether you over-pronate, supinate, masturb... erm... can all make a difference to which kind of shoe you buy. Should buy, I mean.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2006 8:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's amazing how good even a small amount of physical exerise can make you feel. Thanks for all the advice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast