Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 10:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, it's not just about hurting people. Other things, bad things, are conjured up by the term.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 11:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I talk to newbs because I'm stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lv1Sierpinski
    Exactly, it's not just about hurting people. Other things, bad things, are conjured up by the term.
    WTF? Did I not say otherwise a few posts back? Let's see? Yep, here it is,
    Quote Originally Posted by random site junkie
    Ahem. Around these parts, martial arts means training with the intent to learn how to hurt people, first and foremost.
    See that part that says 'first and foremost'? I thought that was pretty clear. Guess not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you doing Wushu for cultural preservation reasons, to enjoy a good workout or just so you can get your flips, err, kicks.

Bullies object when you practice Wushu and think it teaches you to fight.

If you spar hard, under adequate instruction, in a fully resisting manner, then you're probably learning how to prepare yourself for a fight.

All clear now? I hope so.
    Last edited by jnp; 8/16/2006 11:14pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    WTF? Did I not say otherwise a few posts back? Let's see? Yep, here it is,

See that part that says 'first and foremost'? I thought that was pretty clear. Guess not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you doing Wushu for cultural preservation reasons, to enjoy a good workout or just so you can get your flips, err, kicks.

Bullies object when you practice Wushu and think it teaches you to fight.

If you spar hard, under adequate instruction, in a fully resisting manner, then you're probably learning how to prepare yourself for a fight.

All clear now? I hope so.
    I've said on many occations that I do wushu for a workout and that I in no way believe it teaches me to fight, a la post #31 in this thread:
    and I couldn't care less what wushu is classified, I get a hell of a workout for $140 a year...and as I've mentioned before elsewhere, the combat training I do at wushu class is traditional Chinese boxing, i.e. stand up with hands up and punch 'em in the face/body and kick 'em in the legs, so I'm well versed in the difference and would never for a second think that the wushu forms are in any way training for fighting beyond fitness.
    and I'd also like to point out that I've listed another style for a reason, I don't just jump around and do forms.

And I do understand what you're saying about the primary definition of martial arts here on Bullshido. My point was that even though people may ultimately agree what it means, they don't always use it in conversation that way. It's perfectly fair for Kidspatula to agree with the 'accepted' definition of martial arts while at the same time choose not to use it as such because of all of the other things that are associated with it.

*EDIT* I know what you mean about some people confusing learning forms with learning to fight...and I agree that it's a pain in the ass and it needs to stop.
    Last edited by Lv1Sierpinski; 8/16/2006 11:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:46am

Style: Isshinryu, goju, japJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd rather skip right to the beer.
    F the beer wombat, after those last two pages were going straight to car bombs

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:47am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never F the beer, ever. We can plant car bombs and drink beer. It's twice as deadly.

Edit: Oh and did you see the post I left last page. It was pretty impressive, yet nobody has responded. I want to cry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 3:19pm

Style: Isshinryu, goju, japJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing being used for competition and money is not a reason why it is not art. Think of all the movies that are doen solely for money. Let's look at Battlefield Earth (since we can all agree on its horribleness, or Gigli). Definately not art in anyway. However, this does not mean film is not an artform, nor does it mean Sci-fi movies cannot be art or are not incorporated into the artform of film. Thus even if the majority of boxing is done for competition or money or whatever (and this would mean it isn't art, which you haven't proven yet. But for the benefit of argumentation I will concede this point for my rebutal only), the whole of boxing is not affected and can still be considered an artform.

Back to my parentheses statement, competition does not negate art. If martial arts are based on combat, which they are, then the only way to fully realize that art is through a form of combat. Compliant demonstrations are more a form of Martial Arts within the category of acting (or acting within the category of MA perhaps), and solo demonstrations are more gymnastics. Thus, if combat between two individuals (even in a sport setting) is not the realization of the art, then what is?
    Here this way everyone gets a second chance to read it. Its a good solid argument.

Car Bomb = Droping a shot of baily's/jameson into a guiness and chuggin it down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh hell, at this point all manner of car bombs wouldn't be out of line.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    8/18/2006 11:36am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hvyhands81
    Here this way everyone gets a second chance to read it. Its a good solid argument.

Car Bomb = Droping a shot of baily's/jameson into a guiness and chuggin it down.
    Ohh. Awesome, I'm all for it. Thanks for the reposting of my argument, lets be friends.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567