228363 Bullies, 4288 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 68
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Samfoo is offline
    Samfoo's Avatar

    Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), WA
    Posts
    1,023

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:20pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Western Martial
    The thing is though, not everybody studies martial arts for the same reasons. Would you tell a 60 year old man who was interested in learning a martial art to go and join a muay Thai class. Might not be a good idea. Also, some people just want to study the martial art for the actual art side of it, and not the fighting side. Others may wish to take some techniques from that art, and apply it to their own art. So to say that somebody is a moron for choosing to study an art other than MMA, or Muay Thai, etc, is wrong, as you have to consider all of the above. However, yes, there are some morons who fell like you have stated, and they annoy me!
    What would you tell a 60 year old man interested in learning Football (as in Pigskin)? Or Rugby?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.
  2. Western Martial is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:30pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WMA, JJ, JKD, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    What would you tell a 60 year old man interested in learning Football (as in Pigskin)? Or Rugby?
    That's completely different. there arn't many different branches of football. There arne't any alternatives, and football is at a much lower intensity than some martial arts.
  3. Samfoo is offline
    Samfoo's Avatar

    Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), WA
    Posts
    1,023

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Western Martial
    That's completely different.
    No it's not. Both are physically demanding activities with a high correllation of physical fitness to performance.

    there arn't many different branches of football. There arne't any alternatives,
    That's the point. There aren't alternatives because competition is the primary goal of football and thus constant improvement of both the mental and physical aspect of the game is necessary. There aren't different branches of football like there are martial arts because it would be football if you were just running plays by yourself all the time and never tried it against another team.

    and football is at a much lower intensity than some martial arts.
    Those aren't martial arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.
  4. RunningDog is offline
    RunningDog's Avatar

    nail conditioning

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,301

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:46pm


     Style: Rehab

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    Yes i said it..

    Why? Because its not as good as my art, its not effective, and because i just fucking said so. You spend your time training your fag techniques in a fag fashion for a fag ranking. If your training was any less effective, you'd get more results out of running around in your grandma's underwear spreading peanut butter on yourself and singing "Hooked on a Feeling".

    Your techniques suck. They fall apart under resistence, and most of them couldn't be pulled off any easier than Superman's pecker. Not only do your techniques themselves suck, but the way you perform them sucks. You practice maybe two hours, two days a week, and spend the rest of the week sitting your fat ass at your desk job eating Ho-Ho's and tater chips and arguing on internet boards about art lineages and politics.

    Your instructor sucks, if for nothing else, for allowing you to be such a ***** and remain a part of his school. He should be beating the cookie dough out of your ass every chance he gets, but most likely, he won't have time because he's busy in the office quite often, balancing out the school's books from the latest dues, belt test fees, Organization fees, and whatever other bullshit fees he can slap on.

    Your outlook on Martial Arts sucks. You prefer to mediate, read books, and do mundane **** that you think is training, like duck walking from the computer to the refrigerator. You do these things instead of pushing yourself, and still expect to be a badass. You think that next belt rank is going to mean an automatic increase in your badness of ass, so you study for it instead of actually training.

    You have the ignorance and audacity to think that if you had a friend who studied Mixed Martial Arts, you'd probably save his life by fighting off the multiple opponents with your deadly force if the two of you ever got jumped.

    If someone calls your bullshit and challenges you, you immediately say such things as "I'll just bring my gun." If that's the case, you are studying MA for absolutely nothing. You're wasting your time. And why do you say such things? Two Reasons: #1...deep down you know the **** you train in doesn't work, and #2...you're scared of defeat..scared of losing face.

    So you go right ahead and keep doing what you're doing. It makes me no difference. Just don't ever speak to me in a condescending way as if you think you could kick my ass, otherwise you may end up just having to prove it.


    10-4, over & out.
    *looks over shoulder*

    Who are you talking to?
  5. Western Martial is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    16

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:49pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WMA, JJ, JKD, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    No it's not. Both are physically demanding activities with a high correllation of physical fitness to performance.



    That's the point. There aren't alternatives because competition is the primary goal of football and thus constant improvement of both the mental and physical aspect of the game is necessary. There aren't different branches of football like there are martial arts because it would be football if you were just running plays by yourself all the time and never tried it against another team.
    Ok. But how long do you think a sixty year old guy is gonna survive in a game of football if he has no previous experience. In Martial Arts, to throw him into something like Muay Thai, would be to pretty much send him to be killed. However, if he were to develop a certain level of fitness, and an understanding of martial arts, maybe he'd be able to handle something like MT.



    Those aren't martial arts.
    How are you qualified to determine what a martial art is? I have already said what i would say now in my earlier thread.
  6. Neildo is offline
    Neildo's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 7:57pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    ...otherwise you may end up just having to prove it.
    Them's Fightin' words!
  7. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 8:06pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Western Martial
    Ok. But how long do you think a sixty year old guy is gonna survive in a game of football if he has no previous experience. In Martial Arts, to throw him into something like Muay Thai, would be to pretty much send him to be killed. However, if he were to develop a certain level of fitness, and an understanding of martial arts, maybe he'd be able to handle something like MT.


    How are you qualified to determine what a martial art is? I have already said what i would say now in my earlier thread.
    There's nothing wrong with people studing martial arts for the health and art aspect. Just that those who do aren't martial artists.

    The problem is a lot of people want to use the word to make themselves feel better and come up with a false sense of achievment.

    The soccoer mom doing cardio kick boxing or the 70 year old gand mother doing tai chi, or the 60 year old male doing kata are not equivelent to the people in the UFC or those who train to fight.

    Nothing wrong with that but what is wrong is when people equate forms and one point sparring with full contact fiighting and call themselves martial artists.

    Using the football analogy it would be like someone doing the drills and practice techniques of a line baker but never playing a game and calling themselves a football player. It's not the same.
  8. colonelpong2 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,090

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 8:25pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkengata
    you'd get more results out of running around in your grandma's underwear spreading peanut butter on yourself and singing "Hooked on a Feeling".


    10-4, over & out.
    Is that what your sex therapist said? Or have you bbeen hanging out with Wushu guys again?
  9. Tshin is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    320

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 8:36pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To previous posters: I'm friends with a 65 year old man doing Muay Thai.


    How are you qualified to determine what a martial art is?
    How are you qualified to argue that? Really you have to take his post as an opinion, if he feels that way then who are you to say otherwise? What are your credentials, and if they are worthy do you feel that his definition (which seems to be someone who fights full contact and trains like an MMA fighter does) is one you would agree with?

    I'll leave with a quote - "Don't take the Martial out of the Art, fuckhead"
  10. hl1978 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860

    Posted On:
    8/15/2006 9:28pm


     Style: Aunkai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    No it's not. Both are physically demanding activities with a high correllation of physical fitness to performance.



    That's the point. There aren't alternatives because competition is the primary goal of football and thus constant improvement of both the mental and physical aspect of the game is necessary. There aren't different branches of football like there are martial arts because it would be football if you were just running plays by yourself all the time and never tried it against another team.



    Those aren't martial arts.

    Kyudo, iaido, tai chi aren't martial arts?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.