Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Old School questions

I've been playing with Eddie Bravo's "Old School" sweep quite a bit recently and I figured I'd drop a couple of my questions here and see what other people's experiences have been.

Problems I have with the sweep:

1) With flexible opponents, it becomes hard to get the right leverage to get them to fall to their back, however, and perhaps more importantly they're sometimes able to take my back similar to a failed single leg.

2) Larger opponents can just sprawl/squish me when I get ahold of their foot and that effectively stops the sweep.

Suggestions on overcoming these problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The number one thing to do in the half-guard - especially when attempting "old school" is to get your opponent's weight on his hands. That way he can't drop his weight on you. So keep pulling your opponent forward at all times.

Also, once you join your hands, start bridging from side to side. Your opponent with have to go one way or the other. If he manages to successfully base out with his hands, you should still be able to come to your knees and have his back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome bit of advice JohnnyS. This has been a hit-and-miss for me, but the advice about the hands on the mat really helps me. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 10:39am

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great stuff, JohnnyS. I will try that at my next class.