Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wong Fei Hong
    How is that nearly the same thing? Lightning striking someone is a freak occurance outside your control.
    He is talking about frequency of occurrences. Though perhaps the lighting strike is a bit of an exageration, it does make a good point.

Something like happens once in a million, really. You are most likely to get knocked out or break a hand than to break your shinbone. Apart from the skull, shinbones may be the hardest part in your body, harder than the hand bones brought together in a fist.

The leg didn't break by the kick alone. It must have been a pre-existing fracture that didn't heal, or a microfacture that developed by overtraining and constant contact. There is a reason why sportmen and women must rest and heal. Obviously this wasn't the case.

Ergo, he didn't get his leg broken by doing Muay Thai. He had the fracture for lack of attention to his own medical well-being, for overtraining and for lack of rest. If one can develop a microfracture - or a full fracture on the ball of your foot for overtraining in dancing, you can certainly break your shinbone for overtraining in kicking the **** out of things.

*** EDIT ***

That's not a commentary. Those are random sentences that don't convey anything other than the fracture in the videoclip freaked you it (which is understandably freaky, btw.)

Be more elaborate next time. Write about cause and effect, or what you think about the clip beyond "oh ****, that's scary". Or at the very least, explicitly ask your potential readers what their opinions are on the subject. :icon_mrgr
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really doesn't matter since you (the OP) are obviously too much of a ***** to ever step in the ring anyway.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    It really doesn't matter since you (the OP) are obviously too much of a ***** to ever step in the ring anyway.
    What ring? I'm into street self defense. Piss off kid.

Anyway, I understand and accept that it was a stress fracture. How do you guys prevent such occurances? Do you, and can you afford to go to a physician regularly for checkups?

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkchair
    You don't have to fight if you go to Muay Thai gym. Most of the gyms I have been to only about a third of the students fight. If you are just sparring and not entering the ring, you usually wear shin pads anyway.
    Again, I'm not balking at live sparring, it's just that seeing that video made me have a knee jerk reaction against the kicking part. I was wrong though.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyway, I understand and accept that it was a stress fracture. How do you guys prevent such occurances? Do you, and can you afford to go to a physician regularly for checkups?
    Well I don't know about the rest buy my job provides me with a little something we like to call "full medical benefits"! I recently broke my nose and they pay for the x-ray's, consultation, and probably a good chunk of the surgery if I get it. There will be some out of pocket I'm sure for the surgery but that's why I also have "Aflac" through my work as well to suppliment that. They pay you set amounts based on certain types of medical procedures are performed on your and cut you a check for whatever the cost is for others. Whatever you have leftover after paying your bills, you keep; although you have to claim it on your year end taxes as income. That's how I do it. Most others here have the same or similar setup.

Hope I didn't scare you with the broken nose thing, but it happens when you spar with resistance, you get injured sometimes. As for me, I was out of class for 3 weeks and I'm back again for 2 days now. I do wear a broken nose guard when I spar. Only downside, the padding creates a dead spot for low kicks when kickboxing and it when doing jiu-jitsu it tends to slide around but it's better then sitting on my ass getting fat.

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Well I don't know about the rest buy my job provides me with a little something we like to call "full medical benefits"! I recently broke my nose and they pay for the x-ray's, consultation, and probably a good chunk of the surgery if I get it. There will be some out of pocket I'm sure for the surgery but that's why I also have "Aflac" through my work as well to suppliment that. They pay you set amounts based on certain types of medical procedures are performed on your and cut you a check for whatever the cost is for others. Whatever you have leftover after paying your bills, you keep; although you have to claim it on your year end taxes as income. That's how I do it. Most others here have the same or similar setup.

Hope I didn't scare you with the broken nose thing, but it happens when you spar with resistance, you get injured sometimes. As for me, I was out of class for 3 weeks and I'm back again for 2 days now. I do wear a broken nose guard when I spar. Only downside, the padding creates a dead spot for low kicks when kickboxing and it when doing jiu-jitsu it tends to slide around but it's better then sitting on my ass getting fat.
    I've gotten my nose broken (and my bell rung) when I started amateur boxing. That's cool with me. It's just something about breaking a limb that irks me. It reminds me of wartime **** with soldiers getting injured and missing limbs and all that. My brother's friend was in the Marines and lost his hand a couple years ago in Iraq. So yeah one is being broken the other lost but it's all the same to me. That scares me more than being cut.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You can't prevent 100%, but you can reduce the risks by being smart. For starters, I dunno, Kids, correct me if I'm wrong, but a good Muay Thai instructor would train you in a way that minimizes unnecessary risks, right?

Wong, you listen to your body. Your body tells you if something is wrong. Really.

A fracture of that kind doesn't develop overnight. It first develops from microfractures. You feel the microfracture when you apply pressure of any kind to it. It is no longer the burning feeling or pain of constant hitting, which is usually felt accross the area being inpacted.

A microfracture gives you a puncturing, pulsating, deep, penetrating pain localized in a very small area, point or imaginary line. It would feel like a needle or knife going through your bone. Really. It's a feeling you can't mistake for anything else.

At that moment is when you say to yourself "****, I gotta stop this ****, consult a doctor, and rest until it heals 100%." I have a strong suspicion the broken-legged dude in the clip never allowed his fracture to heal completely.

Regarding the cost of medical check ups, well, you shouldn't be training in a contact sports if you don't have insurance (or the financial means to cover your medical expenses.) I don't know about countries with socialized health care, but here in the US, if you **** yourself up and you don't have health coverage, you are pretty much fucked up.

It makes no sense to fork money in MA classes if you can't fork money for heath coverage. You have to prioritize. In my case, I have a health coverage with a $2k deductible. Plus I'm planning to get a $2K accident insurance (that way I cover my deductible.)

Doing MA without health coverage in a country that does not have socialized health care is like shoving a grenade up your ass, pulling the pin and squeezing your buttcheeks in hope it doesn't go off. Really.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 3:08pm

Style: pa-kua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The amount of PSI to break human bone varies based on density, shape, direction, and type of force applied. Can shins snap around someone else's leg? Sure, and I'm sure it happens more often than we see online. Does it happen often enough to be of any real concern to the average person training? Highly unlikely.

If you are concerned about injuries received in training, you can just ask the possible instructors. I ran from a place that boasted people missed class all the time because of injuries (they meant it to mean "see how badass we are we train like psychos!" and I understood is "our training methods and attention are poor and we don't know how to train safely"). Talk to some of the students, see what the average is for that school. This can be enough to help you make a decicsion.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be more concerned with the 'I'm into self defense because I don't want to get hurt' line of thought.

By 'hurt', do you mean 'stomped into the ground by bigger, stronger men'? Or do you mean 'I have a low pain threshold'.

The first is what I would call 'motivation'. The second, well, I'm guessing you already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 3:24pm

Style: Isshinryu, goju, japJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I'm into self defense, in which case, hell yeah I'm afraid of getting hurt, which is why I'm into self defense in the first place. :|
    Oh your one of those guys ... good luck.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast