232653 Bullies, 3980 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sister almost knocked out a guy who tried to grab her from behind using what I could best describe as a spinning open hand back slap to the face.
    that's one hell of a way to grab someone from behind.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    My sister almost knocked out a guy who tried to grab her from behind using what I could best describe as a spinning open hand back slap to the face.
    that's one hell of a way to grab someone from behind.
    The whole episode was surreal. She was coming back from school, and getting off at a bus station near our home around 10PM. This dude came and touched her ass first and then tried to grab her waist. Don't ask me how, but she stepped forward and away from him as he was trying to grab her, spinned like the Tasmanian Devil, and wham.

Next thing she is is pulling a metal ruler she was carrying on her purse but that was necessary as the guy was holding his jaw with both hands with one knee on the floor. Priceless, man, priceless I tell ya.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For grapplers, it seems logical that Pankration style "Pimp Slaps" striking with the heel of the hand would work well.

No worries about breaking your fingers and screwing your grappling game, easily transferable to a grab, and appears non-threatening.

The humiliation factor of getting knocked on your ass by a slap is also a bonus.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i've found i'm a lot more likely to hurt my wrists with open hand strikes than with proper punches. given that my preference is to hurt the other person rather than myself, i have developed a low regard for open handed striking relative to punching.
    That is interesting, as the only time that I've ever hurt my wrist striking is when I've been doing heavy bag work and after I've gotten fatigued my wrist would collapse (usually with my fist bending palm side to forearm, HURTS!). Good sign that I had worked enough for that day.

I've never had a problem with palm strikes of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Angle is important. Hit with the heel of the hand, along your 'power line'. If you're hitting so your hand stretches back you'll get hurt.
    I didn't think that there was any other way to do a palm strike.

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 7:18pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Non- fist techniques are very effective providing they are applied correctly.

...you silly sally...

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is interesting, as the only time that I've ever hurt my wrist striking is when I've been doing heavy bag work and after I've gotten fatigued my wrist would collapse (usually with my fist bending palm side to forearm, HURTS!). Good sign that I had worked enough for that day.

I've never had a problem with palm strikes of any kind.
    maybe it's just me and my bad wrists. all i know is, last time we worked open hand techniques on a bag, i nearly had to stop training for the night after the first ridge hand. worked better when i turned it into a forearm strike. knife hands have a similar effect on my wrists, and i'm extremely leery of palm heels - i understand how they're supposed to be applied, but it's a hand positioning i studiously avoid in everything else i do (based on experience), and i've yet to find something i could palm heel that wouldn't respond at least as well to knuckles.

i just can't find any reason to open up perfectly good fists that doesn't involve grabbing/grappling. those, i'm all for :)

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 10:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Pimp slap is the deadly. No one can defend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 11:12pm

Style: mantis kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mantis style theoretically employs the use of the back of the wrist for striking ala "mantis fist". seems pretty solid. with the mantis fist you're also able to transfer quickly between an open hand , fist, or claw, whatever is appropriate for the situation.

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 2:06am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This topic comes up every so often and for whatever reason I always am interested in what everyone has to say.

The threads usually go like this: Are non-fist strikes good?
    1: Yes, they are safer than a closed fist and can still do damage. Just look at Bas Rutten highlights.
    2: But Pancrase rules didn't allow closed fist strikes to the head and Bas said he would've punched closed fist if he could.
    1: That doesn't change the fact that he still knocked out people with palm strikes you ninny. The fact is he used palm heels consistently and effectively and there is no denying that.

In many MMA events you can see hammerfists on the ground regularly. Sakuraba (not a good example) used knife hand strikes in quite a few fights. I've heard (but have no experience with)palm heels are better on the ground than punching when you don't have much space, due to their slightly shorter reach. Supposedly you can put your arm and body into it more due to more space to move, so a palm heel in a tight space is often better than a punch.

The consensus seems to be they are safer and marginaly less effective in terms of power and reached when compared to closed fist strikes. They also need to be trained equally if not more so if you intend on using them in any sort of combat.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 2:22am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having slapped my girlfriend many times, she gets outa line alot, I came to these conclusions. Slaps are ok but palm strikes are much better. The difference is what you hit with. I like to make a leapord fist, curling the first knuckles, and bend my wrist back just a bit. I then hit with the spot just above the wrist where the meat is. Theres some hard bone ther and it shuts her right up.

That'll teach her. I said dinner at 5 not 5:05 BITCH!!!!!!!

In all seriousness the palm hurts, Ive hit people with it sparring and its great for hitting the ribs or looping to the kidneys.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast