Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 12:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Effectiveness of non-fist hand techniques

All apologies if this is a dead horse, but I searched and did not find anything.

Pretty simple, is anything besides a palm or closed hand (fist) strike useful? IE, knife-hand, "leopard" hand, fingertip srikes, ridge hand... etc.

In working with the bag, I simply could never hit as hard or as effectively with one of these hand positions as with a fist or palm strike.

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 12:39pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slapping people can be pretty effective.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Palm strikes can be usefull. You can't really break your hand doing palm strikes. But generally, if you're going to be fighting someone, you're probably going to be in too much of a panic too say "hey, I don't want to hurt myself...", especially if by punching you can get that extra inch of reach and power.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you haven't seen Bas Rutten fighting in pancrase matches, do a search on YouTube or even here on Bullshido to see how effective a good palm strike to the face is.

And I mean that in a good, ass kicking way.

Ah, hell: here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:18pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfe
    If you haven't seen Bas Rutten fighting in pancrase matches, do a search on YouTube or even here on Bullshido to see how effective a good palm strike to the face is.

And I mean that in a good, ass kicking way.

Ah, hell: here.
    Yep...that was my first thought...anybody who thinks an open hand can't hurt anybody, check out how Bas can even liver shot people with his palm and hurt them pretty bad...

Hell, his palm strikes to Frank Shamrocks head were freaking brutal as hell. I think it may feel awkward and you may not have as much power because you've probably punched and trained punching 100X if not more than just palm strikes...as with any good technique, they have their time and place...

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:31pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade of the hand to the throat can be uncomfortable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:45pm

Style: Isshinryu, goju, japJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade of the hand to the throat can be uncomfortable.
    Good call, and you can usually sneak that in a lot easier then a fist.

Ridge hand to the sack is always a good way to go when your in close.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've found i'm a lot more likely to hurt my wrists with open hand strikes than with proper punches. given that my preference is to hurt the other person rather than myself, i have developed a low regard for open handed striking relative to punching.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 1:59pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i've found i'm a lot more likely to hurt my wrists with open hand strikes than with proper punches. given that my preference is to hurt the other person rather than myself, i have developed a low regard for open handed striking relative to punching.
    Angle is important. Hit with the heel of the hand, along your 'power line'. If you're hitting so your hand stretches back you'll get hurt.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personal/family anectode: My sister almost knocked out a guy who tried to grab her from behind using what I could best describe as a spinning open hand back slap to the face. Hmmm, maybe it was more a hammerfirst, I dunno. But I'm sure it was with the back of her hand.

Anyways, she didn't knock him out, but he certainly stumbled on his knees and walked away holding his jaw in obvious pain. We had to ice her hand to treat the swelling, but despite the pain, she couldn't get rid of this smile that said "I clocked the ************."
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast