Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a Schwinn stationary recumbent bike a while ago. Good for the knees, back, and crotch, plus I can watch TV. I'm going to watch TV anyway, so I might as well get some exercise.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 4:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jogging is actually quite good in getting or keeping your weight down. For a competitive fighter, it does have its benefits. But with that being said, sprints will do better for your fight game itself.

Personally, I'm quite the cross trainer. Here are a few of my routines, and why I do them:

1. Distance jogging, moderate pace 3-7 miles. This is pretty much just to get my weight down. I got to be quite the fatass for awhile, and have been trying to shake a few more pounds.

2. Stairs. Moderate pace x4, sprint ups x1. For weight loss/maintenence, sprint ups for more purely cardio.

3. Sprint/Jog lightpoles, about 2 miles. Sprint from one light pole to the next, then jog to the following one. Sprint again. Purely for cardio.

4. Jumprope. For Seattle winter days when it's too damn cold and wet to run.

5. Rollrollrollroll. Always. Technique+Cardio. Throws + groundwork.

6. Heavy bag rounds. 5-7 three minute rounds. High intensity power shots.

7. Bike commute. About 45 minutes for bonus workout, break day, or to give my knees/ankles a break from running.

8. Whack tire with stick. Alternative to heavy bag, but actually more taxing.

9. Endurance weightlifting circuits. Moderate weights, high reps until failure, rotate with no breaks. Not ideal for strength training, but tiring as hell. I saw Rich Franklin do something similar, and thought that I'd give it a whirl. I usually go bench, leg extensions, leg curls, rows, dumbell presses, body weight squats, dumbell flies, crunches, curls, then back to bench. 3-4 circuits, or until all around failure. Even though it's not intended for major strength gain, I did actually gain quite a bit of muscle from this little routine.

10. Swimming laps. Just because I like it. Don't do it very often though.
    Last edited by Ryno; 8/28/2006 5:20pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    8. Whack tire with stick. Alternative to heavy bag, but actually more taxing.
    Yep!!! On Saturdays I whack a heavy bag at my gym and the end of my workout, 20 minutes usually. Two weeks ago, I decided to do at the beginning. Big mistake. I got too exhausted to weightlift the way I usually do. :eusa_doh: :icon_conf :seppuku: :suicide:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? It is more taxing? Perhaps I should try it out...

Who would have thought...

:qgaraduat
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 8:36pm

Style: Hashashin.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stationary bike when I'm feeling lazy, and ellyptical when I'm feeling less lazy. I hate running on asphalt, it's bad for the knees.

(I also installed a nuclear fusion reactor in my appendix so I never run out of energy. Seriously.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ride my bike a lot. I have to stop though and start running. Usually I'll ride my bike about 20 miles, half uphill, the other half down. Occaisionally I'll go for a 40 or 50 mile ride. I find it's too easy to cheat by switching gears and cadence to really be sure to get an efficient cardio exercise. I recently bought a heart rate monitor watch, and I'll be running and developing a program to increase my stamina using that. I definitely need to do something. I get gassed so fast rolling. Part of it is not relaxing enough and going apeshit every now and then, but part of it is just my shitty cardio.

btw what are burpies?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Looking around

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BURPIES!!!!!!!!!!!! In the Army we would run in place and then drop for push-ups and we called those burpies. I loved burpies!

BTW, I love running too.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:25pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Parkour makes running fun. I've taken to vaulting over fences and gates, or rolling under bars, chin ups from bus stops, fartlek running (google it) and other novelties.
    But then, I can't afford gym membership currently.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin
    BURPIES!!!!!!!!!!!! In the Army we would run in place and then drop for push-ups and we called those burpies. I loved burpies!

BTW, I love running too.
    You are a sick, sick, man.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found something very interesting in the last couple of days. As I mentioned before, running on pavement for more than 10-15 minutes gives me the shin splints. But if I do sprints with walks in between I do not. As long as I wrap my right shin with an ACE wrap (with mandatory tiger balm applied to it first) I'm fine.

So what I've been doing is that I warm up first by running for 5 minutes. Then I go to this street behind my apt. (secluded and with little traffic) where I do the following:

1. sprint as fast as I can for about 1 block (which I think it's about 80 meters)
    2. walk back to starting point
    3. at moderate speed, run backwards same distance as in #1
    4. walk back to starting point
    5. repeat (or take a fucking break :dead:)

I do that for about 10 minutes. Then I massage my shins again, and if I have time, I go to the gym. I've noticed a noticeable reduccion in body fat in the last 5 days, and I've been hitting my hamstrings like I haven't before. It's a different feeling from what I feel with hamstring curls. I'm working my hamstrings in a differen way.

Plus, I'm not getting shin splins, which is the weirdest thing of all :icon_scra

*** EDIT ***

KP, do you have a link to the larger version of your avatar???
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/31/2006 11:39am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast