Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 7:46pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I run circles around the parking lot of the boxing gym every day that I train (usually about 2 or 3 miles) and on my off-days I (sometimes) run on the sidewalk in my neighborhood. There's a track around the inside of the gym so in crappy weather I run on that.

So instead of roadwork I do parking lot work and sidewalk work and indoor track work.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I roll.
    Ditto.

It also comes down to life conditions / age / goals, etc. Between the job, wife, kids, house, blah, blah, blah, I can get away about three times a week for a couple hours.

Getting in shape to support my MA habit just isn't an option timewise, so I have to make MA my workout. That's how I've gravitated almost completely to grappling, I find that I can do a "technical" workout (i.e. working technique) but can go full bore as far as exertion against a fully resisting opponent. When I was a _ing _un two step sparring drill master, my training would not count as cardio by any stretch of the imagination.

My conditioning may not be as great as if I was really training to be a fighter, but I need to face the reality that I'm a dad, husband, employee, etc. first who happens to do combat sports as a hobby. Most of my "peers" think waddling around a golf course is exercise, so I'm ok with where I'm at.

Short answer: I'm a ***** who says my training is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I predominantly use my class as cardio due to weight training 3x a week and trying to fit in school and work around that as well.

On my off days, I'll do shadowboxing, swim, use the rowing machine, strongman cardio, anything really that gets me moving and doing something. I do run a few miles a few times a month, but mostly to keep a good level of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 9:56pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I can get on the water I row 20 km in a practice. If I can't get on the water I either do 10km on the erg machine, or 40km on the roadbike.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 10:09pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit people hard enough that by the time I'm gassed out they dont want to engage anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 10:13pm

Style: mantis kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i bike everywhere and breathe really deeply while doing it. it helps. i need to start running though, i have super low blood pressure.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While my cardio is at the suckage stage, I've recently started using Mike Mahler's High Octane Cardio in addition to running 2x/week. I use my kettlebell's and do stickwork as a substitution for the "Heavy Bag HOC Combo" (sticks on a tire instead of punching the heavy bag and kettlebells instead of dumbells).

It always kicks my ass.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 11:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cycling.

Half hour to work, half hour back.

20 mins to training, 20 mins back. It improved my cardio no end. I noticed a big jump after I'd been cycling for about a month. Now it has kind of plataued but I am sure if I stopped cycling regularly, my cardio would suffer. (My knees would LOVE it though - stupid little Japanese bikes.)
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: budo core body training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, running is hard on the knees and ankles, so do a lot of work to try and strengthen these areas of the leg, usually involving straightening the leg as much as possible, and bending it as much as possible, while going down low, sort of like ballet exercises, but keeping the body connections that I am learning from Akuzawa up in Tokyo. Running would be nice, when my ankle recovers.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Taku's intervals on cross-country ski machines, which are much easier on my knees than running sprints.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast