GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Conditioning and me

I just started conditioning work so I need some help here. I have been lifting weights and doing BJJ for a while. I just started conditioning today and here is what I posted in my log:

Warmed up with some shadow boxing.
    I started off with 4 rounds of bagwork, just boxing. 3 minutes on 1 minute off.

Next was 1 minute burpees, 1 minute jump rope, 1 minute rest. Three rounds of that.

After a few minutes brake was 10 minutes on the bike, 2 minutes at 25% resistance followed by 60 or 30 second sprints at 100% resistance. I just got home and will probably go on the bike again for 20 minutes with some sprints in there.

Feel good now that it is over and I see I need more cardio work definitely.
    My question is what can I do to improve this. I think burpees are a must, I am doing the pushup variation. They seem good for conditioning and explosiveness. I don't want to run as I want less stress on my knees, but I can switch it up with the bike, elliptical, rower, stairmaster etc. Also, I would assume intervals like when I was on the bike are best?

BTW my goal is to increase my cardio for MMA/grappling.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 8:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if it helps, here is me in a nutshell.

5'11" at 175-180lbs
    Maxes last time they were tested (month ago so they should be similar):
    Bench-305 Deadlift-430 Squat-290

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LI, I would definitely give running a try unless you suffer from a very debilitating pain in your knees. I like to run at least 1 mile on the road, but I try to go over 3 whenever I have time. And every now and then I do a few variations to keep it going, like this:

I usually just run slowly for half a mile, just to warm up, and then, depending how my shins are feeling, I do one of the two:

1. I sprint as fast as possible, 1 to 1.5 blocks, then come back walking to the same starting point. I repeat that 4 to 5 times... more if I feel pumped and my shins can take it. My shins give me more problem than my knees.

2. If I'm really shitty, I ran backwards 1 to 1.5 blocks, then come back walking to the same starting point, and I repeat that about a dozen times. It's a different feeling, more intense that regular running for cardio and for engaging the quadriceps and ankles, but much easier on the knees and shins.

If you really, really can't run, then you could use the eliptical or a stationary bike for HIIT. Go balls out as fast as possible out for 1 minute, then go to a normal speed for 2-3 minutes and repeat ad nauseum.

You got the right idea with the push ups burpees and the ropes. I think push ups to failure as fast as possible after a compound exercise help a lot to increase your anaerobic capacity. You should throw a few sets of clasping push ups to failure into the mix. You are going to like them.

One routine I came up that helped me a lot for not gasping out like a beached whale on the mat was the following (no break between individual sets):

1. Squats, 12-15 reps, butt all the way down.
    2. Push ups, 40 reps as fast as possible
    3. Towel chin ups (or chin ups or barbell rows if my hands are tired) to failure

1 minute break and repeat. I keep doing that for 30 to 40 minutes. I stick to 40 push ups, which are not a big deal during the first 3 rounds, but after that, it becomes a bitch. By the end, I can't do more than 25 push ups, so I stop for 30 seconds and resume until I get 40. By this time I'm already fatigued and gasping for air.

It's not the best way to build muscle or strenght, but it surely makes you sweat and increase your anaerobic capacity.

The key is in the push ups being done as fast as possible right after the squats, and to immediately do the chin ups/rows without taking any breaks. I throw in the towel chin ups/barbell rows for **** and giggles, to really hit everything and not just my legs and chest/triceps.

-- Ed. I still gas out, but at least, but it's no longer the shitty "oh ****, oh ****, I'm gonna die" feeling I used to have :) My goal is to run 5 miles on the road (not threadmill) without having my shins cramping on me... someday, someday.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/17/2007 9:16am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 11:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would imagine you both mean interval running and sprints? Long mile runs seem out for me. Seems more practical to do some other stuff. Plus, I quit cross country in high school due to the knee pains. I want to save my joints you know. I am not against long cardio sometimes but think the interval stuff is better for fighting.

I am not doing cardio for health concerns and want it to be kept short so as to not take away from my lifting.

thanks so far.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 11:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    I would imagine you both mean interval running and sprints?
    Yep, pretty much :) I didn't know if by running you meant running even for short distances or long runs. There are people for whom even short runs on pavements are a no-no due to knee injuries, thus the caveat.

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Long mile runs seem out for me. Seems more practical to do some other stuff. Plus, I quit cross country in high school due to the knee pains. I want to save my joints you know. I am not against long cardio sometimes but think the interval stuff is better for fighting.
    The interval stuff is good, but I find jogging once in a while to be a good way to keep it going. Nothing major, just 2 miles on average. But like you, I keep it simple as to not take time from other things, including lifting.

Sometimes I feel my quadriceps all stiff and in a bit of pain no matter how much I stretch them. A 2 mile jog at a moderate pace relaxes them enough so that I can stretch them well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 1:45pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Medicine ball work.

Last night I jumped rope for 3 rounds, shadowboxed 3 rounds and did bag work 4 rounds.

Then pushups on a medicine ball where you keep one hand on the ball and one off, then pushup and switch hands.
    Hold the ball at chest height. Squat down just abit and then on the way up throw the ball over head, like a push press. Do it for a round or two.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i love the medicine ball, there's a great instructional from title boxing with a lot of geat exercises.

i wish i had someone to do regular routines with, but a lot of the great exercises require a partner and are best done outside to minimize the chance of smashing something in my apartment.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 5:59pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 10:31am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you do mountain climbers?

I hate mountain climbers, they really tire you out when you do them correctly. (You must arch your back and look up.) But I think it really helps your cardio conditioning.

They look kinda like one legged burpees.

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Do you do mountain climbers?

I hate mountain climbers, they really tire you out when you do them correctly. (You must arch your back and look up.) But I think it really helps your cardio conditioning.

They look kinda like one legged burpees.
    I hate/love mountain climbers!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast