Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Guns & Wist grabs/locks

Having read another of the "no-one-will-grab-your-wist-to-stop-you-drawing-your-sword" I was just wondering if these techniques, or modifications of them, would be equally usefull if someone grabed your wrist as you went for a gun, baton or even radio etc.

If the techs are sound then this would be a legitimte aplicaiton for them, and might be especialy applicable to LEOs.

p.s. this is partly in here to see if a disscuson can start before the flames.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 12:23am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes Virginia there....

Yes Virginia there are ways of grabbing someones wrist to slow down their draw. It can be a valid technique to buy you time, however, the fact is it only buys you a few seconds. In that time you MUST get neutralize the weapon with striking or grappleing and/or take your opponent out of the fight. Would i try it? No that is why i carry a gun in case of fire fight return fire is the only way to go. The other issue here is very few people (smart people that is) will pull a gun at grabbing range.

PT

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 8:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry if I didn't make it clear I was refering to the wrist locks etc you learn FROM a wrist grabs in some traditional JJ and Akido.

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of aikido techniques are based in this type of scenario: the bad guy attempts to control the hand which have better access to the weapon or the weapon itself and can be modified for modern weapons as retention techniques.

Even the most basic tenkan (pivoting/turning) can be useful to avoid the weapon taking from your holster and regain positional advantage at the same time.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 3:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate1481
    Having read another of the "no-one-will-grab-your-wist-to-stop-you-drawing-your-sword" I was just wondering if these techniques, or modifications of them, would be equally usefull if someone grabed your wrist as you went for a gun, baton or even radio etc.

If the techs are sound then this would be a legitimte aplicaiton for them, and might be especialy applicable to LEOs.

p.s. this is partly in here to see if a disscuson can start before the flames.

Short Answer : Yes

Long Answer: Yes, but I wouldn't spend much time training them . If you do find you wrist seized a higher probablity move to do would be a quick escape then draw.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most LEO's focus on their own weapon retention at close range. Not on techniques based upon the off chance a bad guy will attempt to draw his weapon within grabbing distance. There might be something tought in that regard but I doubt its very complex or Aikido'sh.

Most want to maintain distance between themselves and a suspect to prevent a armed/unarmed attack and to allow themselves time to react and to draw if need be until such time the perp is in a position of disadvantage. i.e. face down on the ground spead eagled with empty hands.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 8:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Most LEO's focus on their own weapon retention at close range. Not on techniques based upon the off chance a bad guy will attempt to draw his weapon within grabbing distance. There might be something tought in that regard but I doubt its very complex or Aikido'sh.
    The point was someone trying to stop you going for your weapon by grabing your wrist.

Re-reading I didn't make this claear sorry
    Last edited by Nate1481; 8/09/2006 8:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 9:27am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point was someone trying to stop you going for your weapon by grabing your wrist.

Re-reading I didn't make this claear sorry
    Well in responce to your specific question. If were attempting to draw my weapon and someone grabbed my wrist. There are two forseable situations that i see as being viable.
    1. Most likely since a wrist grab is pretty poor in the case of short weapons (gun ~6 in sword 18in and up) I may still be able to draw the weapon and get atleast 1 shot off. Human reactions are such that unless they are specially trained this is going to (if i miss) cause my opponet to let go.
    2.) If for some reason i cannot get my weapon out (I will test the above idea with water pistol and an akidoka friend as soon as i make one) Then i might use my opponents focus on my gun hand to Club/Strike/Whatever with my free hand.

Change it up for Radio bag guy grabbs radio....bad guy gets Shot/Clubbed/Chemical spray.....Assuming I am an LEO.

Change again for club. Now you come into the long weapon range and the rules change abit (except ASP style batons.) My cop friends train specifically for this situation as they do the gun hand grab. Tech's vary widely from shitty standing armbar to numerous Krav style defenses. I would probably revert to number 2.

Hope that helps you out if you have more questions or this did not answer yours let me know

PT

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 9:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    2.) If for some reason i cannot get my weapon out (I will test the above idea with water pistol and an akidoka friend as soon as i make one) Then i might use my opponents focus on my gun hand to Club/Strike/Whatever with my free hand.
    I've done simmilar experiments with a guy who was training to get a job as a LEO. The focus in the gun/gun hand is also a issue for the LEO: while he was trying to avoid losing his weapon, he received multiple "strikes" and "stabs" from the aikibunnie.

Posted On:
    8/10/2006 9:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unlikely to affect me personlly, it just occured & didn't think I'd seen it disscused befor. Thanks to the feed bk may try my own water pistol experiments.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast