Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 5:48pm

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This time last year....

Funny, I was reading Bullshido, digging up every Wing Chun (or _ing _un) thread, reading every page and desperately convincing myself that sparring was NOT necessary. That hardcore chi saoing would suffice. That I could stop all takedown attempts with either gaan sao or a low bong sao. That if I ended up on the ground, I'd just use Wing Chun, and if that failed I'd just do some of that BJJ **** I saw on the UFC. That trapping works. That it is worth learning counter-counters to Wing Chun movements. That my punches have real power. That I can throw effective kicks. That, if need be, I can throw a knee. That once I learn the full Biu Tze form, I'd be invincible. That all answers to all combat are in the forms. That eye gouges ARE effective against everyone, all of the time. That if someone clinched with me, I could still use Wing Chun. That I knew how to close the distance and attack. That I had enough conditioning to get through most fights. That if I could do Siu Nim Tao for 45 minutes every day I would become a more effective martial artist. That I could last more than 5 seconds against a decent striker. That I could last more than 5 seconds against a decent grappler. That Wing Chun was the answer.

It didn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 6:01pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

.....Bjj wins again?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 6:18pm

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

.....Bjj wins again?
    Common sense wins again.

It was less to do with BJJ, and more to do with coming to terms with the lies, bullshit and almost-mysticism that I had just strolled into without even thinking at the time.

I guess that's what happens when an impressionable teenager takes up Wing Chun. Disaster is inevitable really.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 6:23pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chain punches lose again.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 7:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/enshin karate/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i mean i will agree that bjj and mma are more practical ,but most wing chun guys i know never lost a street fight. i grew up on the south side of chicago in the ninety's there was gunplay, stabbing drug dealers fight all that.

the bigest dojo on my side of teh city was like 3 schools in one. We had a kenp class kick boxing class and a wing chun class also a shaolin kungfu and judo. the place was real big. alot of class were ran at teh sametime in different rooms. we also had tkd for kids. i was in the kenpo and kickboxing class. after our class were over we could all spar on the mats or one of the rings if it was up.

i use to spar wing chun guys all the time and they seemed ok to me i never got dominated by one, but i dont remember them getting dominated by anyone either.

some of my best freinds were in that class and they lived i nthe worst parts of the city. and e verybody in their neighbor hoods knew they could brawl. my freind once got thiis guy in a trap and they guy had to get cosmetuc surgery.

all im saying is if im the average guy on the street i dont want to run into a wing chun guy who knows what he is done.

oh yeah when grow out of mystcism did it take the fun out of martial arts for you is was that way for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 9:46pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    Funny, I was reading Bullshido, digging up every Wing Chun (or _ing _un) thread, reading every page and desperately convincing myself that sparring was NOT necessary. That hardcore chi saoing would suffice. That I could stop all takedown attempts with either gaan sao or a low bong sao. That if I ended up on the ground, I'd just use Wing Chun, and if that failed I'd just do some of that BJJ **** I saw on the UFC. That trapping works. That it is worth learning counter-counters to Wing Chun movements. That my punches have real power. That I can throw effective kicks. That, if need be, I can throw a knee. That once I learn the full Biu Tze form, I'd be invincible. That all answers to all combat are in the forms. That eye gouges ARE effective against everyone, all of the time. That if someone clinched with me, I could still use Wing Chun. That I knew how to close the distance and attack. That I had enough conditioning to get through most fights. That if I could do Siu Nim Tao for 45 minutes every day I would become a more effective martial artist. That I could last more than 5 seconds against a decent striker. That I could last more than 5 seconds against a decent grappler. That Wing Chun was the answer.

It didn't work.
    Wow, that one hit so close to home I shed a tear. Too bad I've had to wait a few months to move near a real school, and I still have a few weeks to go. :(

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 10:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TheSparrow - vocalizing the most private concerns of ing unners everywhere since Nov. 2005.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 11:42pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anything crossovered from wingchun to your current training? Or was it really back to the starting point?

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 2:44am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This time last year....

This time last year....

TheSparrow started posting a new "_ing _un sucks" thread every day. Some of them are still going. Why do we need another new one? You've already posted "
    Should I burn my Wing Chun books?
    ", and "Anti-Grappling Resources Webpage", and "Please share your Wing Chun delusions....", "Sad, but true- TMAs will never die", "_ing _un Pics of Disaster", "Why are people so good at lying to themselves?", "Anti Grappling", "Taking on the _ing _un Anti-Science", "Wing Chun", and "Wing Tsun in Street Fight?", along with some of your really unique gems like this or this. We get it. We've gotten it for the past year. You don't need to start a new thread every month once you've realized your other threads have died down. We understand. You were delusional. Woot.

Dagon

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 3:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad I never had to go through that. I'm part of the MMA generation! Cowabunga! Or something.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast