Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    whatever
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your standup fighting sucks.

So I'm going through some threads, and I keep seeing the same consensus:

Boxing, kickboxing, Kyokushin, Muay Thai ... all seem to rank about the same for the stand up game.

Well, that's BS.

I don't know what's with the Karate guys standing toe to toe with each other slugging each other in the gut ... tough sport, definitely, but I'd hate to have to use it against someone trained to hit me in the head.

Boxing, interesting thing here. The heart of combat tends to gravitate towards simplicity. So one would think that the boxers would clean up. Unfortunately, when you start dealing with limited weapons ... considerable complexity starts working itself into the puzzle. I remember the first time I stepped into the ring with an experienced boxer, having only trained a few months in Muay Thai ... he bobbed and slipped into my knee.

Kickboxing, yes ... everyone says their kickboxing is Thai Boxing. It's not. Sorry. Having trained in a number of kickboxing schools that "train Muay Thai" and having trained IN Muay Thai, there is a difference.

I'd hazard a guess it's about on the same magnitude as the difference between TKD and Kyokushin.

Muay Thai is the ****. True, you'll see some little whipper snappers get tossed around from time to time, but get a big man with real Muay Thai skills ... it's scary. And I think it's something for fighters to aspire towards.

So, I'm nutriding (is that the term around here?) MT. Here's a clip of a big, scary man with real Muay Thai skills. He drops a wrestler, a kyokushin guy (the nose job), a boxer, and a few kickboxers.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JetiC...related&search=

Best,
    Death

(ps No thoughts on takedowns and the ground game. I'm inclined to believe that wrestling trumps judo for moving the game to the ground.)

Style
    Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by death walker
    So I'm going through some threads, and I keep seeing the same consensus:

Boxing, kickboxing, Kyokushin, Muay Thai ... all seem to rank about the same for the stand up game.

Well, that's BS.

I don't know what's with the Karate guys standing toe to toe with each other slugging each other in the gut ... tough sport, definitely, but I'd hate to have to use it against someone trained to hit me in the head.

Boxing, interesting thing here. The heart of combat tends to gravitate towards simplicity. So one would think that the boxers would clean up. Unfortunately, when you start dealing with limited weapons ... considerable complexity starts working itself into the puzzle. I remember the first time I stepped into the ring with an experienced boxer, having only trained a few months in Muay Thai ... he bobbed and slipped into my knee.

Kickboxing, yes ... everyone says their kickboxing is Thai Boxing. It's not. Sorry. Having trained in a number of kickboxing schools that "train Muay Thai" and having trained IN Muay Thai, there is a difference.

I'd hazard a guess it's about on the same magnitude as the difference between TKD and Kyokushin.

Muay Thai is the ****. True, you'll see some little whipper snappers get tossed around from time to time, but get a big man with real Muay Thai skills ... it's scary. And I think it's something for fighters to aspire towards.

So, I'm nutriding (is that the term around here?) MT. Here's a clip of a big, scary man with real Muay Thai skills. He drops a wrestler, a kyokushin guy (the nose job), a boxer, and a few kickboxers.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JetiC...related&search=

Best,
    Death

(ps No thoughts on takedowns and the ground game. I'm inclined to believe that wrestling trumps judo for moving the game to the ground.)
    I hate the universe.

Style
    Not.....working
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It says in the clip he's 196cm.Isn't that 6f4?Or close there.anyway,he's big.

What point are you trying to make?Are you a fan of his or just the art?Because what those it mean if an MT'er (a guy who does Muay-Thai) beat another MT'er.

Because it seems what you're arguing is that Muay-Thai is great so long as you're taller than your opponent?I'm only 5f6 so I can't aspire to being 6f4.LOL!

You should watch Buawka?I think that's how it spelled.

Style
    Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Looks at Canuckyokushin's avatar*

Someone is overcompinsating...

Style
    Kickboxing/Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A highlight real of a K-1 athlete sure looks better than some guys you saw boxing once. I wonder why?

Style
    whatever
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, you guys are right.

Doesn't make much sense to aspire towards being a big, tall MT'er ... if you're not big and tall.

I think it was more for my benefit, I've been letting myself go a bit and needed some inspiration to get back into training.

I was in good shape while in Japan when Alexey looked to dominate the K-1, I'm in Thailand now ... and even though there are Muay Thai gyms all around me, I find myself relatively ambivalent to the scene.

Very odd, Is this how one starts aging?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Best,
    Death

Style
    Muay thai - Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cro Cop does kickboxing.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit confused...

Is this a "Muay Thai rocks, I do Muay Thai, therefore I rock" thread?

If you've read ANY of the threads here at Bullshido, you'll notice that EVERYONE has a high opinion of Muay Thai, and that a good majority of the posters here put "MT" in their style block.

In otherwords...what is your point?

(By the way, if you really have been in the Thai Boxing scene for a bit and travel around for training/competition, you're relatively safe using your real name. In fact, using your real name and providing info like your fight stats will go a LONG way towards earning immediate respect from people here)

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'cause there's never been an MMA even where someone with a striking background in boxing has ever beat someone with a striking background in MT.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truely you have shown me the light, i'll now stop boxing because it cannot compare to the godly Muay Thai.

Thank you! Thank you! I'm so thankful that you came along, to this forum, to show us poor pitiful stand up fighters the way. I woulda never thought MT was a great style before you came along, never had an inkling, nope...

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last