10/06/2006 5:44am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bujutsuboy
    MAC -

http://www.moderncombatives.org/pages/1/index.htm

The WW2 guys class this as BJJ, and decry it's use for soldiers. Now there is some BJJ in there, but there are also other influences.

The advantages of it are :-

It is competitive, so people actually train it.

It is alive, so you work against resisting opponents and

It makes ya aggressive!
    Most of the pple who decry it have NEVER trained in it or haven't viewed any of the material about level 1. So their veiws are based on ignorance. And UNLIKE WWII material there is more evidence that the system actually WORKS during war time. Plus I teach this on a daily basis (since the fucker have me working 6 days a week!!!:BangHead: ) and the training is done not only in the pit (sand filled area) but also in a MOUT enviroment with the soldieris in full battle rattle. There was word that Mr Larsen will be having a column in GRAPPLING butsince I have't picked up the mag lately I don't know if it started or not.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 9:39am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For self protection I would recommend the following.

Geoff Thompsons "Dead or Alive" book. Within those pages are great "soft skills" that will help you stay away from any potetnial trouble in the first place.

Geoff Thompson's "The Fence" video. It lasts about an hour, and has two guys standing there..... with only one doing the talking. But listen to what he is saying..... no matter how often you play it you'll find something new.

Richard Dimitri's "The Shredder." Now he rates it more highly than I do, but it is still a great tool that helps youget/regain the advantage in a real go. I've used it myself and it works fine in most instances).

Ideally you d need some kind of base from which to learn self protection fighting techniques, be it boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ or whatever. But the knowledge in the above goes a long long way.

The problem with WW2 Combatives is that they want to feel that they already have the "best" method, so they glorify in staying static - "There is nothing new under the sun" is a favourite saying.

Maybe there isn't. But the world is changing all the time, and we've got to change with it.
    Bujutsuboy, thanks for the recommendations. I'm currently reading Dead or Alive, and it has some good stuff. The best thing I've learnt from it is to stay away from trouble, instead of learning how to handle trouble. Will try to get the fence video.

Just to clarify, Richard Dimitri's "The Shredder" is that a book or a video?

Thanks.

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 9:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Most of the pple who decry it have NEVER trained in it or haven't viewed any of the material about level 1. So their veiws are based on ignorance. And UNLIKE WWII material there is more evidence that the system actually WORKS during war time. Plus I teach this on a daily basis (since the fucker have me working 6 days a week!!!:BangHead: ) and the training is done not only in the pit (sand filled area) but also in a MOUT enviroment with the soldieris in full battle rattle. There was word that Mr Larsen will be having a column in GRAPPLING butsince I have't picked up the mag lately I don't know if it started or not.
    Asia,
    One question I had in my mind for a long time ever since I saw the combatives FM, how do you guys do all the BJJ stuff with a pack on your backs? Not to mention a skeletal battle order (I don't know what you guys call it, it's the harness thing where your magazine pouches and bayonet and water bottles go?)

I have no doubt of the effectiveness of BJJ in a real fight as I'm learning BJJ myself, but was just wondering how you guys do it with all the gear you're carrying in the field.

Any stories to share on it's effetiveness in the field? Will like to hear those stories if you care to share them!

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Asia,
    One question I had in my mind for a long time ever since I saw the combatives FM, how do you guys do all the BJJ stuff with a pack on your backs? Not to mention a skeletal battle order (I don't know what you guys call it, it's the harness thing where your magazine pouches and bayonet and water bottles go?)

I have no doubt of the effectiveness of BJJ in a real fight as I'm learning BJJ myself, but was just wondering how you guys do it with all the gear you're carrying in the field.

Any stories to share on it's effetiveness in the field? Will like to hear those stories if you care to share them!
    -A BJJ game from the top with gear just makes it more painful for the guy on the bottom. Combatives is about the top game.

-I'd like more info on the Shredder too, as I've read mixed reviews of it.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    Asia,

1) You typically don't got into a fight with a ruck on your back. Even on patrols if you are going to ambush someone or take an area you would cache your gear (ruck, litter, etc) save for the radioman.

2) With the your web gear (or combat vests as we wear now) and IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) it takes some getting used to but you can still move pretty well and as RoninPimp said its about the TOP game. If you are on the bottom you either a) hold keep the guy tied up until your buddy bashes him in the head or b) sweep and get the top position.

As for the stories I am thinking of making a thread on them to shush the RBSD naysayers of MAC.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    10/06/2006 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makes sense, looking forward to reading the stories!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 3:04am

Style: Self Protection

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I would like to see that thread.

Re the Shredder. They do something called "the Shredder package" which includes a DVD and a book.

I did a search here and say quite a comprehensive analysis by some guy, but the general consensus here was that it was bull ****. I was surprised, and read the thread again and found that the guys slamming it had never done it, but the guys supporting it had.

How can they slam something they have never done? They must be wankers.

I thought Bullshido was about investigating things, not just discounting them because you don't know what they are.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 6:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I would like to see that thread.

Re the Shredder. They do something called "the Shredder package" which includes a DVD and a book.

I did a search here and say quite a comprehensive analysis by some guy, but the general consensus here was that it was bull ****. I was surprised, and read the thread again and found that the guys slamming it had never done it, but the guys supporting it had.

How can they slam something they have never done? They must be wankers.

I thought Bullshido was about investigating things, not just discounting them because you don't know what they are.
    Not true. One of BS things if to have pple reveiew the material and it does get passed around.

Thats why Phil pitches a fit. He discounted pples negative reviews of his book stating that we didn't read it but when pple quoted passages from it the was oddly silent. :qgaraduat
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats great!

Can you post a link to where it got reviewed and passed around please? Try as I might, all I can get is glib put downs without any evidence whatsoever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 6:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any update?

I'm still trying to find reports of someone visiting this guy, or any of his instructors. Or even buying any of his stuff. Or anything. But all I can find are people (many of whom are long standing posters) dissin his materials without knowing anything about them whatsoever.

Please find me some proper research to justify this abuse. At the moment it is pretty mindless and makes Bullshido look pretty crap.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast