228851 Bullies, 4737 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. SifuJason is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 3:37pm


     Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Would you say the reputation is good or bad? Are you making a joke that you wish the reputation wasn't good because they're your competitors? I just want to get what you're saying.
    I am fairly new to the area, so I don't know them personally, but people who have encountered them and talked to me about it often observe that KI has programs such as this for rank. That is all that I am saying. I would say that the Bullshido crowd views this as a negative, as do many others, but I am not going to mention my personal value judgement on this subject.
  2. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,767

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 4:26pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    I am fairly new to the area, so I don't know them personally, but people who have encountered them and talked to me about it often observe that KI has programs such as this for rank. That is all that I am saying. I would say that the Bullshido crowd views this as a negative, as do many others, but I am not going to mention my personal value judgement on this subject.


    Oh, you're referring to the original post about the JJJ ranking in a few hours. I got off on the Judo tangent and sort of forgot what the original post was about, since the thread's kind of old. Yeah, that program sounds very McDojoesque. However, I think their Judo program is legit. And it's one of the few schools around that offer Judo.

    Their karate program is probably par for the course, from what I've seen. It's karate, they market to kids a lot, etc. Typical, but they don't make any BS claims from what I've seen. I'm not interested in karate anyway. I want to learn to toss people like ragdolls.
    Last edited by Devil; 8/26/2007 4:29pm at .
  3. SifuJason is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 4:32pm


     Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Oh, you're referring to the original post about the JJJ ranking in a few hours. I got off on the Judo tangent and sort of forgot what the original post was about, since the thread's kind of old. Yeah, that program sounds very McDojoesque. However, I think their Judo program is legit. And it's one of the few schools around that offer Judo.

    Their karate program is probably par for the course, from what I've seen. It's karate, they market to kids a lot, etc. Typical, but they don't make any BS claims from what I've seen. I'm not interested in karate anyway. I want to learn to toss people like ragdolls.
    Ya, I was referring to the OP. As for their judo classes, I can't comment, but I am glad you have had good luck with it. I do know they offer an "MMA" class, but as far as I understand it, they don't compete in any MMA events or train MMA fighters. As for schools that offer pure judo, you are right they are pretty rare in the area. I and a few other mixed schools in the area offer it, but not as anything stand alone.
  4. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,767

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 4:51pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Ya, I was referring to the OP. As for their judo classes, I can't comment, but I am glad you have had good luck with it. I do know they offer an "MMA" class, but as far as I understand it, they don't compete in any MMA events or train MMA fighters. As for schools that offer pure judo, you are right they are pretty rare in the area. I and a few other mixed schools in the area offer it, but not as anything stand alone.

    Well, I haven't had good luck with it, because I haven't tried their Judo classes yet, although I probably will.

    Yeah, I know about the MMA stuff, too. In fact, I think I made a thread on it at some point. I think their "MMA" program consists of karate, judo, jjj, and kendo (wtf?) It's a case of them trying to capitalize on the MMA hype without actually learning anything new or changing what they do at all. It's BS.

    The sad thing is the guys probably have the ability to train amateur level MMA fighters, but they just don't do it. I can't say why they don't, but a lot of traditional schools take the attitude that MMA is below them. Schools like that are going to get ran over as the instructor pool becomes more saturated with guys who have actually fought. People would rather train with someone who is speaking from experience when he teaches them about fighting.

    And I know of a few other schools that "mix in" Judo with their training. But Judo is mostly just an afterthought in those schools and usually taught by people without advanced rank in Judo. I don't want to train Judo piece meal. I want the real thing. And options are limited in this neck of the woods.

    Maybe RaleighJudo can give us some insight into the "MMA" program, since he trains Judo at the school. I am curious what the deal is with that.
  5. SifuJason is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 5:24pm


     Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Well, I haven't had good luck with it, because I haven't tried their Judo classes yet, although I probably will.

    Yeah, I know about the MMA stuff, too. In fact, I think I made a thread on it at some point. I think their "MMA" program consists of karate, judo, jjj, and kendo (wtf?) It's a case of them trying to capitalize on the MMA hype without actually learning anything new or changing what they do at all. It's BS.

    The sad thing is the guys probably have the ability to train amateur level MMA fighters, but they just don't do it. I can't say why they don't, but a lot of traditional schools take the attitude that MMA is below them. Schools like that are going to get ran over as the instructor pool becomes more saturated with guys who have actually fought. People would rather train with someone who is speaking from experience when he teaches them about fighting.

    And I know of a few other schools that "mix in" Judo with their training. But Judo is mostly just an afterthought in those schools and usually taught by people without advanced rank in Judo. I don't want to train Judo piece meal. I want the real thing. And options are limited in this neck of the woods.

    Maybe RaleighJudo can give us some insight into the "MMA" program, since he trains Judo at the school. I am curious what the deal is with that.
    Ya, I also don't understand while most traditional schools stay away from training amateur MMA fighters. I am doing it and I love it, because those students who are interested tend to be some of the most intense and dedicated that I have.

    As for your judo training, what exactly are you looking for? I understand that you want to learn judo, and not as an after-thought, but that isn't neccesarily incompatible with an MMA school that focuses a lot on throws as part of their strategy.
  6. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,767

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 5:45pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    As for your judo training, what exactly are you looking for? I understand that you want to learn judo, and not as an after-thought, but that isn't neccesarily incompatible with an MMA school that focuses a lot on throws as part of their strategy.

    What am I looking for? That's simple. Like I've already said, I want to develop throwing skills at a high level.

    That is incompatible with MMA schools. Sure, MMA schools incorporate throwing, but it's not their specialty. Just like MMA schools incorporate boxing, but it's not their specialty. Just like BJJ schools incorporate standing grappling, but it's not their specialty.

    If I want to prepare for MMA competition or work on my overall game, I'll go to an MMA school. If I want to concentrate on developing my punching, I'll go to a boxing gym. If I want to concentrate on my ground game, I'll go to BJJ.

    Right now, I'm interested in developing my throwing skills, and nobody does throwing better than Judo.
  7. RaleighJudo is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 6:55pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the school's "MMA" flyers...very misleading in my opinion as it's not what anybody else would consider MMA as that label is used today. They do have a great kendo class...which is even more rare than Judo if you're looking for it. In their MMA thing they have some deal to get classes in karate, kendo, and judo...or their jiu-jitsu...anyway, all of the classes at the Raleigh KI are expensive.

    So, my opinion if cost is a real issue for any of their classes then you should look into the other schools in the area since there are plenty. I like the folks in the Judo class, and the location and times work for me so it's worth it for the 75 a month.

    From what I've seen being in the Judo program the rank integrity for the Judo and kendo programs are on average to forgiving, and the karate rankings are probably too forgiving. I am not a martial arts expert though, so my opinion here is not that meaningful.

    However, as anyone should know the whole deal with belts is just to keep people interested in coming back...so I think its just their strategy to keep people interested until they can really develop a personal interest in their style and keep with it. But, don't judge that too harshly since as I understand the practice of giving ANY colored belts has developed for just that reason.

    Personally, I don't care about belts at all and just enjoy Judo for sport because you can get a great workout and it's alot of fun even if you get thrown...and even more if you get a good throw. I think people who care too much about belt color are more likely to hurt their training partners or themselves.

    As far as Judo is concerned, I've never met anyone who wanted a Judo rank before they were up to it as that normally means you're even more likely to get your arse handed to you on a stick and quickly at the next tourney.
  8. SifuJason is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 7:02pm


     Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighJudo
    I've seen the school's "MMA" flyers...very misleading in my opinion as it's not what anybody else would consider MMA as that label is used today. They do have a great kendo class...which is even more rare than Judo if you're looking for it. In their MMA thing they have some deal to get classes in karate, kendo, and judo...or their jiu-jitsu...anyway, all of the classes at the Raleigh KI are expensive.

    So, my opinion if cost is a real issue for any of their classes then you should look into the other schools in the area since there are plenty. I like the folks in the Judo class, and the location and times work for me so it's worth it for the 75 a month.

    From what I've seen being in the Judo program the rank integrity for the Judo and kendo programs are on average to forgiving, and the karate rankings are probably too forgiving. I am not a martial arts expert though, so my opinion here is not that meaningful.

    However, as anyone should know the whole deal with belts is just to keep people interested in coming back...so I think its just their strategy to keep people interested until they can really develop a personal interest in their style and keep with it. But, don't judge that too harshly since as I understand the practice of giving ANY colored belts has developed for just that reason.

    Personally, I don't care about belts at all and just enjoy Judo for sport because you can get a great workout and it's alot of fun even if you get thrown...and even more if you get a good throw. I think people who care too much about belt color are more likely to hurt their training partners or themselves.

    As far as Judo is concerned, I've never met anyone who wanted a Judo rank before they were up to it as that normally means you're even more likely to get your arse handed to you on a stick and quickly at the next tourney.
    Good to hear they have some good quality classes to offer. As I said, I have only heard things through the rumor mill, so I am glad that to hear some positive perspectives as well.

    On another note, Devil and RaleighJudo, I am attempting to host an NC throwdown (check the throwdown board), so if you are interested, post on that thread and hopefully we can get something going.
  9. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,767

    Posted On:
    8/26/2007 7:18pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    On another note, Devil and RaleighJudo, I am attempting to host an NC throwdown (check the throwdown board), so if you are interested, post on that thread and hopefully we can get something going.


    I'll have to catch up with you for a throwdown at a later time. Like it says in my style field, I'll be out of the mix until the beginning of next year. Probably February. But I'm not planning on moving any time soon, so I'll be around. Let me know how the first throwdown goes. Maybe we can get another one together next summer.
  10. RaleighJudo is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5

    Posted On:
    8/31/2007 2:35pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a workout with the Carolina Judo Club this week. I was really impressed...there were around 30 guys there, all sizes, almost all novice...but it was really a great workout. The instructors are very good and of good attitude. Its not the most convenient drive for me, but I'm definitely going back. They have class on 2 days which complement my NRJC days which is great for me.

    $3 bucks per session for a non-student...the 30 min drive will be worth it for me to train with such a large group of people. Granted, it is the beginning of the semester, but it still looks like a large club compared to what I'm used to.

    The mats are wrestling mats...and the room is hot as hell right now. All the same, I was blown away by what a good crowd was there and the training atmosphere.

    http://www.unc.edu/judo/
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.