Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2008 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I have been training BJJ for a few months now, and I am starting to get into boxing (though I am, at this point, an ultra-noob.) I've had one full-on MMA-style sparring session that had me badly pwned (by a very good kickboxer + NAGA champ.) However, it was really fun and eye-opening.

That sparring session convinced me even more that I really want to train MMA (as a style) now. MMA is just different. Allowing for strikes changes grappling immensely. There are positions in BJJ that are worthless for submissions, but potent if strikes are allowed. Also, really useful positions in BJJ (closed guard, for instance) are less effective in MMA. Adding kicks is a great way to setup takedowns, etc., etc. So what is all the "you're not ready" talk about?

It seems like a common thing for boxers and MMA folks to say, though this doesn't hold true for BJJ. A difference in culture, certainly. I really wish that there was more of a culture of beginner/novice MMA competitions like there is in BJJ. I guess the SoCal pankration scene has some of this, but unfortunately I ain't anywhere close to the West Coast.

My gym is great, and I'm definitely able to work on putting all the pieces together there (we have BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing.) But there is definitely an attitude there that mostly intermediate and advanced players can train with an instructor in the cage. If I want to do MMA, I have to find willing partners and set aside time apart from class. This may change soon, there has been talk of an MMA specific class.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. A novice that wants to train MMA, but is putting the pieces together, hoping for a more integrated class that I can step into.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2008 12:34am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    MMA fighters don't do pure MT, then switch to pure BJJ and back again like Mortal Kombat characters. MT has to be modified to be takedown aware, BJJ has to be modified to take account of being kicked in the head and so on.

At this point the MMA fighter is, at every point, doing something that is very different than any of the 'base' systems.

What exactly are the criteria for a new style anyway?
    Put it this way, we don't WANT MMA to be considered a 'style'. That would defeat the purpose of it, which is the spirit of mixing martial arts "to find out what is best" (which is a fantasy, in a way, but it is still a dream worthy of pursuing though it possibly has no end in sight). All we can say is that MMA has its staples: punching, elbowing, kicking, kneeing, wrestling, submitting.

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 2:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMAmanager

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with annapaxis, martial arts has soo many greatly respected styles/arts to study, but in the new, and emerging the most popular sport of MMA, yes its called MMA, its important for fighters to train MMA, makes sence huh..lol. Integrating those styles together into what works best for your game, is what will make u the best fighter you can be.........the colourful belts on your waist line mean nothing when u step into the cage. When you step into a MMA cage, you better be versed in the style of MMA fighting, or get back to style specific tournys :)

GlenRoy is a fantastic MMA teacher :)

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 2:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMAmanager

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh forgot to add,,,,yes the fantasy of which style is best is great n all, BUT in the evolving sport there are so many styles i mean these days camps invent their own fighting styles/systems,,,,,,so while the fanatsy lives on, to keep up with the times it hink fighters need a good MMA program to further their game :)

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 1:14pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am with the MMA is a rule set camp. There seems to be a style developing that is designed to cover all the situations found in MMA matches and that's a good thing since the style is a lot more effective than a ton of crap out there. (even, dare I say it, on the street.)

Going back to the rule set side of things, when MMA started in the US with the early UFC, the big thing was to have a rule set that was not biased for or against any style. For the sport to stay relevant to all martial artists I think that needs to remain a core value: no bias in the rule set.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789