Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 8:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA training equals learning striking, grappling, take downs and submissions AND
    how to apply them all together. For example using a kick to set up a take down to using ground and pound to set up a submission.

Alot of MMA schools besides teaching the seperate styles have some sort of class they call MMA or CSW or freestyle or whatever where the approach is to use it all together.

IMO

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:16am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    I am about to start training in MMA soon, and wanted to get a few questions cleared up.

Right, so im soon to check out a club in Ontario,Canada, named Glenroy Browne Intergrated Martial arts, which offers MMA training, by Glenroy Browne(www.glenroybrowne.com).His program offers both grappling and stand-up work, with a mixture of quite alot of styles, as you can see if you go on his site. I wanted to know, if you train in a club that offers MMA training, what style are you training in? for example, say a club offers MMA training, and the styles that they intergrate into the training are BJJ,MT and Wrestling, would that i mean that i am learning BJJ,MT and Wrestling, or would it be correct to say that im doing MMA training?
    Basically, if someone asked me what style i do, would it be right to say that i do BJJ, MT and Wrestling or would it be right to say that i do MMA training?
    Hope it didnt confuse you guys =/.
    Just a couple of thoughts after looking at that website:

1.) The instructor is not listed and neither are his credentials
    2.) Glenroy Browne does not have a record on FC Fighter's Data Base (now I know this isn't the definitive source but it is one of the best out there.)

If you're going to take a martial art (any martial art) you should be able to verify who the instructor is very quickly and easily.

TKD

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw poop! Okay, I'm going to suggest running like the wind from this club. I wouldn't normally make a second post in a row but this is the link that opens up from the 'store' portion of the website!

Health Food?!?

Damn!

TKD

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Aw poop! Okay, I'm going to suggest running like the wind from this club. I wouldn't normally make a second post in a row but this is the link that opens up from the 'store' portion of the website!

Health Food?!?

Damn!

TKD
    Hahahaha, my mother is part of that company! The guy is advertising that on there, because it's a pyramid/tree type business so he's just using the website to get the name out. It's completely unrelated to the martial arts school, the guys just using his school to advertise his side business. No harm done in my opinion.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:44am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    MMA training equals learning striking, grappling, take downs and submissions AND

how to apply them all together. For example using a kick to set up a take down to using ground and pound to set up a submission.

Alot of MMA schools besides teaching the seperate styles have some sort of class they call MMA or CSW or freestyle or whatever where the approach is to use it all together.

IMO

EXACTLY. These MMA classes simply teach the effective use of multiple styles of combat in a singular engagement.
    Allow me to explain this mathematically if I may.

(West Coast Stance [boxing] + Sub wrestling) = MMA
    ALSO
    (Muay Thai + Brazilian Ju Jitsu) = MMA

AND BECAUSE

(WestCoast), (SubWrestling), (MT), (BJJ) = Fighting Styles
    AND
    (West Coast Stance [boxing] + Sub wrestling) =/= (Muay Thai + Brazilian Ju Jitsu)

WE CAN LOGICALLY DETERMINE THAT

MMA =/= Fighting Style

I can break it down some more, but I think this is pretty clear and simple to understand.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Hahahaha, my mother is part of that company! The guy is advertising that on there, because it's a pyramid/tree type business so he's just using the website to get the name out. It's completely unrelated to the martial arts school, the guys just using his school to advertise his side business. No harm done in my opinion.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not faulting the guy for it. Its just that when the thing that has the most information on his website is the link to his Health Food business, I have to wonder.

ALso check out the Fang Shen Do thread for more insight into Pyramid Schemes and MAs. These guys where selling vitamins like it was going out of style for a while.

Any thoughts on my above post though? I'd be very leery about taking MMA classes from someone who isn't listed on one of the top sites for MMA tracking. Most fighters are tripping over themselves to get their fights up on FCFighter or Sherdog.

TKD:karated:

PS - My last opponent had the fight on FCFighter before I was even home, and he lost the fight!
    Last edited by TKD Black Belt; 8/07/2006 10:53am at .

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:13pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I'd be very leery about taking MMA classes from someone who isn't listed on one of the top sites for MMA tracking. Most fighters are tripping over themselves to get their fights up on FCFighter or Sherdog.
    So true. Check into it further, at the very least. If you start to hear an excuse that resembles, "All my fight records are classified due to my involvement with the CIA," then you should probably avoid it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a couple of thoughts after looking at that website:

1.) The instructor is not listed and neither are his credentials
    2.) Glenroy Browne does not have a record on FC Fighter's Data Base (now I know this isn't the definitive source but it is one of the best out there.)

If you're going to take a martial art (any martial art) you should be able to verify who the instructor is very quickly and easily.

TKD

I asked someone about this club on another forum, one of the guys there claimed to train with him once and said that Glenroy Browne is a very good instructor. Im going to Email Glenroy Browne asking for his lineage under ALL those arts he claims to know. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz
    I asked someone about this club on another forum, one of the guys there claimed to train with him once and said that Glenroy Browne is a very good instructor. Im going to Email Glenroy Browne asking for his lineage under ALL those arts he claims to know. I'll let you guys know what happens.
    I rolled with a boxer yesterday. He's been on HBO and fought in and won a few RingSide tournaments. After about 10 minutes he's pretty much convinced I'm the most amazing grappler he's ever met. **** I don't even have a BJJ rank.

I'm not saying the guy isn't good I'm just saying do some research. There is another guy I know who works as a cop. He can't compete by virtue of his job but his credentials are top notch.

TKD

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:40pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that he lists Aikido as part of his grappling teaching looks bad, VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY bad.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast