223815 Bullies, 3922 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quixote, here's a trick I learned on how to teach people how to punch right (I usually use this more with children, but since I can't stand over you and fix your form/body structure this is the best I can do).

Ball your hands into fists, and place your lower knuckles (where your digits bend) on your cheek bones so that your eyes are looking out over the top of your fists. When you punch think, "something always has to be touching my cheek/chin" so that when you throw your jab/cross touch your shoulder to your cheek. Now when you do this you will either be not torquing and in a sense shrugging your head into your shoulder. That would be incorrect. Pivot your body so that it turns perpendicular to the front and this will cause you to throw your arm in perfect line while utilizing proper hip movement. By keeping your free hand on your other cheek you are essentially covering up to the best of your ability during your most vulernable moments when you place an attack. Remember whenever you strike you are also opening yourself up to a counter-strike, so it's best to stay as covered as possible during those brief moments. When done striking bring your hand right back to your cheek/chin.

For a visual aid: Mike Tyson teaching "How do jab"

Notice how his chin is covered by his shoulder preventing a counter-punch to the jaw which could result in an instant KO. Free hand covers the other side of the face with elbows down to protect the ribs if need be.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 4:18pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was gonna say that you've got no guards and your hands always fall down when you throw a punch, but I guess kempofist said it in a better way.

You shouldn't be throwing combos when you can't even throw a correct left-right, when I began muay thai, the coach asked me to hit the bag, and I was doing like you did in that video. He told me that I should always have my hand next to my chin when I throw the other arm, or else I'm asking for the knockdown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I have suddenly less posts than before by the way? I remember having about 80 posts or something like that, and now I've got only 63 posts, what happened?

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 7:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaku
    Why do I have suddenly less posts than before by the way? I remember having about 80 posts or something like that, and now I've got only 63 posts, what happened?
    Threads may have been deleted or moved to sociocide.
    ~Bruce Lee

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Threads may have been deleted or moved to sociocide.
    That means sociocide should also be known as post-o-cide.

BTW Kempo, that was a nice explanation of punching!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    That means sociocide should also be known as post-o-cide.
    Nah, only post-o-cide if a thread gets moved there ;)

BTW Kempo, that was a nice explanation of punching!
    Thanks. Yeah that was the way I learned to punch and cover properly as taught to me by my friend who kickboxes. For adults it's usually easy to teach proper punching with bagwork without using that explanation, but sometimes it's necessary. With children, considering they don't have the benefit (at least at my school) to be fighting and learning the "hard way" how not to get hit in live sparring right off the bat, I find this to be the most efficient way to get the point across. All I have to do is tell them that their chin is getting chilly and they cover right up.
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:13pm

Style: mma, TAKEDOWNS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take a class...please

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, stfu-k-thnx. Get off my case.

Quote Originally Posted by dburton
    take a class...please
    I would if I could. I have searched fairly extensively and there are no Muay Thai schools in or near my area. But if you could find one near 10707 area, I would be extremely appreciative =]. There used to be one 10 minutes away but apparently it closed in 1997.

I use the workout for a workout not a way to teach me how to fight. Maybe it will help me get stronger and greater endurance for a fight. But I asked for constructive criticism about my shadowboxing in it... hoping that you guys can point out the bull in my pseudoshido. If I was gonna do it I thought I'd might learn it the right way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you go to a gym then? Do some musculuation and jog a bit, wouldn't that be more useful than practicing in the wrong way and maybe getting bad habits? Or at least go to a boxing class so that they teach you how to throw punches and dodge them, it's better than nothing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 10:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokaku
    Why don't you go to a gym then? Do some musculuation and jog a bit, wouldn't that be more useful than practicing in the wrong way and maybe getting bad habits? Or at least go to a boxing class so that they teach you how to throw punches and dodge them, it's better than nothing.
    That is a good idea. I may join a gym in the future but I do like being able to workout at home whenever I want. I do have some equipment at home. I used to be a hardcore computer nerd and then I started getting into martial arts around Feb. this year and I started working out - I'm still pretty lean. Dunno if you can tell from the vid but I'm 6'1.5'' so I'm not that small.
    Last edited by quixote; 8/08/2006 10:45am at .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast