Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:24am

Style: Tsd,fencng,jkd,kali,silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ummmmm............. well, you didn't put your body into any of the punches when you were shadow boxing, you stopped short on your uppercuts, like people said before your push ups sucked and maybe you should use the punching bag for more than just doing some wierd ass exercise. My geuss is that you could punch it more... But instead of wasting your time just go find a muay thai gym.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cskidd359
    maybe you should use the punching bag for more than just doing some wierd ass exercise
    lol, that's supposed to be the 'bicep excercise'. I used it because I don't have a barbell at home and don't have 2 of the same dumbells.

Thanks for the advice though.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well for some "constructive" criticism (btw you meant, "critique" not critic your video...pet peeve of mine) I'd say your striking was devoid of hip or body movement. Very little power like that. Also try to push off your rear leg and sometimes flare your heel out when throwing crosses.

Also when throwing your hook punches, you have to have to pivot your body towards your punching hand and shift your weight forwards else you will just be telegraphing and swinging your arm in an arc (like you did a few times) and essentially leaving yourself wide open to an array of counter-punches and ducks (think Jackie Chan movies when the guy punches like that....see what happens? Remember Jackie Chan is watching you! He doesn't sleep!)

Anyway, have fun with your workout, and have fun getting flamed over here :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:24am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, looks like KempoFist beat me to it. There's no ankle rotation in your punches, which means no hip rotation, which means no torque, which means no power. Especially on those lead hooks, (your left), rotation your left hell clockwise as you throw. You're also just using your arms. Drop your weight "into" the target when you hit. This is kind of hard to explain in a post, so I won't try. The rotation thing, however, you can fix.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, with the hook punches you should sink your weight forwards slightly and in the direction of your punching hand while staying covered before torquing back the other way swinging the punch. A hook punch done properly arguably doesn't need any arm movement at all.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:43am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's purely emulatory, but... I guess that works for some folks. The trick to actually making that work is thta you MUST find somebodyto fight against. There's no way to determine if your new self-styled MT skillz mean a damn thing if all you are doing is shadow boxing. Go beat up one of your friends who does karate or kung fu or somehting like that. Better yet, try it against somebody who can actually fight. Trial and error can sometimes make the best scrappers.

But seriously, find a gym... and props on the video post.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want me to watch you prance around your room in shorts doing exercises for nine minutes? Your on the wrong forum mate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    It's purely emulatory, but... I guess that works for some folks. The trick to actually making that work is thta you MUST find somebodyto fight against.
    I do actually "spar" with my neighbor who says he has some boxing training. He's older, stronger and tougher than me. But since I started training, I think I'm coming out on top. I would like to start training then sparring with people who really know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    But seriously, find a gym... and props on the video post.
    Unfortuneatly there are no Muay Thai gyms in my area. And I don't want to do Tkd or settle for some other kickboxing style.

Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Also when throwing your hook punches, you have to have to pivot your body towards your punching hand and shift your weight forwards else you will just be telegraphing and swinging your arm in an arc (like you did a few times) and essentially leaving yourself wide open to an array of counter-punches and ducks (think Jackie Chan movies when the guy punches like that....see what happens? Remember Jackie Chan is watching you! He doesn't sleep!)
    Haha. That's awesome, thanks.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

To the others: kiss my sweaty ass. Ok, seriously, I won't post anymore videos of myself... so now you won't have anything to cry about.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:52pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quixote
    I won't post anymore videos of myself... so now you won't have anything to cry about.
    Aw, come on, don't be like that. I post vids even though I'm SURE they're gonna get flamed. In fact, I plan on posting another one soon enough. SO, go out, get some video of you sparring, fighting, or whatever, and come on back to have us review it... objectively... maybe.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's alomst impossible to post a vid here and not get flamed. Just take the advice you want and ignore the rest or not.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast