Sponsored Links Spacer Image

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 6:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That said, I bet a fair few of the posters here would lose to a good TKD'er.

Why does it suck? The same reason most MA's suck: money, leading to watered-down bullshit pandering to kids.

Omoplata the little shits, I say. Catch 'em young, no harm done*

*This is not a paedophilic reference, thank you very much.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 7:17pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But ITF TKD seems to be decent tho.

WTF TKD's guard seems to be one of the worst ever made, and jumping all the time is like asking for the knockdown ('cause it looks pretty gay).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:09am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is about flicky kicks with the toes and this is bad for power and bad for your toe bones.

It encourages people to jump up onto their toes which is bad vs a grappler or boxer.

It neglects the fists as the primary weapons and legs as things to enable us to walk around. Really that is their natural purpose - legs walk and we use hands to do things like punch/grapple or pick tools up.

The kicking from MMA resembles Muay Thai/kickboxing/Kyokushin because they deliver force using the shin/instep and not the toes. This is a far more powerful way of delivering force because you are hitting with bigger bones.

Many TKD people fight with their hands by their sides or need to adhoc adopt a mock boxing hand guard. So they leave their head wide open or dont fight how they train.

TKD is not 4000 years old as many claim but was developed in the 60's.

TKD lacks a sparring/alive training emphasis and is mainly about kata and kicking/punching the air. Kickboxing/boxing/MT etc. mainly hit pads and other people. If you want real power you will deliver strikes to real objects and spar so as to develop power delivery. Without powerful weapons you have nothing to threaten with.

The punching in TKD is flawed because it emphasises punching with the two big bones and not a flat fist as is done by anyone who can hit a heavy bag hard. Using the two big bones means the wrist is slightly turned which can break your hand/wrist bones more easily when you learn to hit hard. Also the punching is flawed because it is chambered from the hip rather than a defensive guard position.

I could go on...

So what's right about TKD?

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You had to leave this thread open to shameless posting of asian women, didn't you?
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:19am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    TKD is about flicky kicks with the toes and this is bad for power and bad for your toe bones.

It encourages people to jump up onto their toes which is bad vs a grappler or boxer.

It neglects the fists as the primary weapons and legs as things to enable us to walk around. Really that is their natural purpose - legs walk and we use hands to do things like punch/grapple or pick tools up.

The kicking from MMA resembles Muay Thai/kickboxing/Kyokushin because they deliver force using the shin/instep and not the toes. This is a far more powerful way of delivering force because you are hitting with bigger bones.

Many TKD people fight with their hands by their sides or need to adhoc adopt a mock boxing hand guard. So they leave their head wide open or dont fight how they train.

TKD is not 4000 years old as many claim but was developed in the 60's.

TKD lacks a sparring/alive training emphasis and is mainly about kata and kicking/punching the air. Kickboxing/boxing/MT etc. mainly hit pads and other people. If you want real power you will deliver strikes to real objects and spar so as to develop power delivery. Without powerful weapons you have nothing to threaten with.

The punching in TKD is flawed because it emphasises punching with the two big bones and not a flat fist as is done by anyone who can hit a heavy bag hard. Using the two big bones means the wrist is slightly turned which can break your hand/wrist bones more easily when you learn to hit hard. Also the punching is flawed because it is chambered from the hip rather than a defensive guard position.

I could go on...

So what's right about TKD?
    Well now you're talking another extreme. TKD was developed before the 60's. There are some serious TKD schools out there that would give a lot of stand up fighters a run for their money but 99% them suck the big one. We can say that because there are so many TKD and American Karate/TKD schools out there. *snif, yup they smell like and are crap.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:26am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
    Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like these bad TKD threads come in waves. I hope not because that means we're in for a lot more.
    How about I start a _ing_un thread right now? would you like that? WOULD YA?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:34am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Foam dipped helmets
    2. Chest Pads
    3. Forms
    4. No hand Techniques practiced
    5. Shitty waist guard
    6. Low contact (via 1,2)
    7. Moral and economical corruption
    8. Some of the worst nutriders
    9. Bad kicking techniques
    10. Nearly useless on the street

Note this is all my opinion, not saying there aren't good schools out there, but of the 4 or 5 i've visited I feel this way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:40am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshin
    1. Foam dipped helmets
    2. Chest Pads
    3. Forms
    4. No hand Techniques practiced
    5. Shitty waist guard
    6. Low contact (via 1,2)
    7. Moral and economical corruption
    8. Some of the worst nutriders
    9. Bad kicking techniques
    10. Nearly useless on the street

Note this is all my opinion, not saying there aren't good schools out there, but of the 4 or 5 i've visited I feel this way.
    1. no
    2. yes and no
    3. another subject
    4. No
    5. ah what?
    6. Yup
    7. Yup
    8. debatable
    9. yup
    10. Hell yeah.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:09am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5. deals with the let me have my hands at the waist to block things.

Edit:

Also I came from quite the McDojang so my views are probably quite skewed.

Students had a cult like worship of the Master, volunteers basically lived there, sometimes putting the master infront of family. This place had Chi believers to an extreme (DBZ style) and people who felt that TKD was the ultimate art...grappling was strictly forbidden unless it was hapkido.
    Last edited by Tshin; 8/07/2006 1:12am at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any questions?
    Attached Images  
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast