Posted On:
    7/30/2004 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FARANG BA (Crazy White Foreigner)

"Farang Ba" is Craig Wilson.

Craig Wilson is an amateur boxer (western style) in Thailand. He is also 47, a harvard educated lawyer, wears coke-bottle glasses, didn't start to training until he was in his 30's, and a cancer survivor!

A documentary was made about him in 2002. This man is an inspiration to us all! He overcame many obstacles, his dedication is fantastic. His work ethic is phenomenal.

I encourage all bullshido readers to watch the documentary of the same title of this thread.

Here is a link to the film maker's page: http://www.thenakedemperor.com/farangba/index.html

On the left, there are links to a interview with John Sullivan (director). There are audio clips from the documentary in the audio interview file.

My hats off to Craig Wilson - Farang Ba!

Edit: DVD now available: http://www.buyindies.com/listing/1091054311859
    Last edited by Mr. Mantis; 7/21/2006 9:01am at .
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western boxing in Thailand? I had no idea there was much call for that. He sounds crazy in a good way.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 11:37am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, his coaches and friends who gave him the nickname said he is crazy in a good way, and that "Ba" is a good kind of crazy. Nice observation.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOOD KIND OF CREZZY
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 2:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The documentary is available here: http://www.buyindies.com/listing/1091054311859

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    8/01/2004 6:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he's crazy to do western boxing in thailand but it's a good kind of crazy because it brings in tourist dollars.

Posted On:
    8/06/2004 9:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A better pic of the crazy foreigner

Amateur Boxer

Posted On:
    4/17/2005 11:30pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reply from "Farang Ba"

I don't know about good kind of crazy or bad kind -- my coach originally came up with the nickname because I didn't want to stop training after a hard, sweaty workout, and the nickname just sort of stuck. I think it's more in the sense of "crazy about boxing" than insane or deranged, although you could make an argument on that one.

As for why I do western boxing: muay Thai, the national sport, is a wonderful sport that I love to watch. It is also medically impossible for me to fight muay Thai. As a result of the colon cancer surgery, I have an "ileostomy" (a pouch through which I go to the bathroom) just below my stomach. So long as I can wear a foul protector (and not just a cup), I can box. Because of the nature of muay Thai, with all of the knees to the midsection, wearing such a protector is a non-starter in muay Thai. Without it, I would certainly wind up in the hospital. I may be crazy, but I'm not suicidal.

Western boxing is in fact quite popular in Thailand. Most universities have teams. In the last couple of years, I've become friends with the Thai Olympic team -- they won a gold, bronze and silver at the last Olympics -- and have had the honor of sparring with the gold and the bronze medalists. Out of my league? Of course! But it was great fun, and it's kind of neat to tell someone that your black eye came from an Olympic medalist!

I don't follow the point about tourist dollars, though. I'm not a tourist -- I now consider Thailand my home, having been here 7 years, and I intend to remain. I generally fight at events up-country, where I am the only foreigner anywhere in sight.

Craig Wilson
    "Farang Ba"
    Bangkok

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 12:20am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Western style boxing is huge in thailand. At the camp i train in at Chiang Mai (Siam number one) alot of the coaches were/are champs in muay thai and western boxing. Plus Thai (western boxing) comes on TV just about as much as Muay Thai here in thailand. The boxing game in muay thai is constantly getting better and better. Most of the knock outs ive seen first hand here in thailand are from hands, most of the elbows ive seen dont put anyone down unless its on the jaw. And i dont think ive seen a knock out from a kick yet, ive seen a couple knees to the head tho, that ended one match i saw.

FARANG BA, by up country do you mean Chiang mai and more north ? i cant beleive the ammount of muay thai festivals here in Chiang Mai. I generally go to 2 a week on the weekends and watch our team fight. And im generally the only foreinger there beside my friend. I started off training in phuket and the boxing instruction/fights there were horrible. Im blown away by Chiang Mai, the level of skill is 10 fold here compared to phuket. And you dont have to pay money to see most of the boxing here. Im sticking it out in Chiang Mai for a long time for sure.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/18/2005 12:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido guys
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast