Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fucking fear uchi mata, even with a cup!

Good to hear have balls... I mean, that you still have your balls. That was a close call. Scary. :icon_conf
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalCrowley
    I've never worn a cup grappliing before. When I start BJJ after I recover from my injury (hopefully October) I'll be sure to wear a cup. Hell, I might as well throw a mouthpiece in there too.
    Wear em both. Train how you compete.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 6:36pm

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    I guess you had to figure out the hard way that a cup is a good idea, huh?
    Yes, yes I did. But then, as Lefty points out:

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    To my knowledge people dont generally wear cups in Judo
    Which is exactly the situation at my club. Also, hard groin cups are banned in competition. If you follow the discussions at judoforum.com, there are various ridiculous rationalizations for this, such as:

-Groin cups help too much with armbars

-If you practice armbars with a cup, and try to do an armbar without one, you'll hurt your testicles

-If you fall down while wearing a groin cup, you could injure yourself

Switching to BJJ is starting to seem like an attractive option.

Soft groin cups are legal in judo, but I get the feeling that soft groin cups or jock straps essentially do nothing. Anyone have some advice on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    If a guy kicks you that hard in the balls when doing a throw in randori I would seriously talk to my instructor and tell him about it.
    That's the thing, it wasn't *that* hard. The kick was definitely an honest accident. My friend who did the deed has only a bit more experience than I do. (I have one year, he has about two.) His Uchi-mata clearly needs some work, but there wasn't any malice involved.

Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Good to hear have balls... I mean, that you still have your balls. That was a close call. Scary.
    Thanks, EM.

An update: my scrotum is no longer the size of a grapefruit. (It swelled a bit after surgery.) My urologist told me today that he's very happy with how my testicles are doing, but that I shouldn't do anything like judo for at least a month.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/11/2006 9:16pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This reminds me of a friend of mine who jammed his stick into his groin while playing hockey.

He went to the doctor with some swelling and bruising. The doc's solution:

"Go home, run a hot bath and have a wank" (jerk off for Americans).

Apparently he told him it would relieve the pressure on the spermatic cord.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by "soft" groin cup? Mine's made out of plastic, but I've never been hurt while wearing it (and I had a guy literally drop his knee into my nuts in an attempt to shoot through my guard. Didn't feel a thing.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 12:35am

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    What do you mean by "soft" groin cup? Mine's made out of plastic, but I've never been hurt while wearing it (and I had a guy literally drop his knee into my nuts in an attempt to shoot through my guard. Didn't feel a thing.)
    By hard, I mean made of rigid plastic or metal, possibly covered in padding. By soft, I mean nothing but padding. (This latter option is what they suggest on judoforum.com, and it seems more or less useless.) According to to competition rules, I'm apparently not allowed to wear anything hard under my gi, even if covered by padding.

Is your plastic cup hard, or does it have some flex? (If it does have some flex to it, then this may be the judo-legal, testicle-saving device that I'm loooking for.) Can you tell me what make/model of cup you have?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/12/2006 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gotten bruises in my inner tights from uchi mata. There is no way I will anything but a hard cup. No way Jose.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:39pm

Style: Beating Children

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude don't feel bad myself and two of my other friends have had the ball surgery and everyone of us are still packing both nuts. I think the worst part besides the horrible pain was the fact I couldn't even walk well for over 2 months.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by missile
    By hard, I mean made of rigid plastic or metal, possibly covered in padding. By soft, I mean nothing but padding. (This latter option is what they suggest on judoforum.com, and it seems more or less useless.) According to to competition rules, I'm apparently not allowed to wear anything hard under my gi, even if covered by padding.

Is your plastic cup hard, or does it have some flex? (If it does have some flex to it, then this may be the judo-legal, testicle-saving device that I'm loooking for.) Can you tell me what make/model of cup you have?
    I have seen people wear cups all the way up to the classics. Metal cups are banned, IRC, not plastic.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the facts:Testicular Torsion.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAxrlICeXE[/MEDIA]
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast