224956 Bullies, 3503 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    If I wanted to come play at one of these things, would I be able to? I'd assume that there arent really any chicks doing it but I've no qualms about beating guys up with sticks.
    Good news and bad news.

Yes, women are allowed to fight at these gatherings and many have. Check out the photo album from November of 2004. There were three female fighters and there fights were scrappy as hell. Good technique, lots of heart and they went all out. Very entertaining to watch and I even posted a write up about one named Linda in particular here just after the event. Not sure she fights anymore though.

The bad news is that women fight women and men fight men. At least that is my understanding. The potential to get seriously hurt at these events may be the issue (don't know) as the only people who stop the fights are the fighters. No referees.

I think it would be sweet if you came and represented. The best way is to sign up and post in the open forum of the website and make your intentions known that you are looking for female/s fighters to fight at either the June or November event. That way you can line up some fights. Otherwise I don't think it will happen. (They tend not to just show up). :cry:

There is a girl that trains with us in North Hollywood but she isn't serious and I doubt she will want to fight. (Especially with your level of experience.) If you decide let me or Poidog know. You can come train with us prior to the event and we can give you some good inside advice. Or at least, Poi can... I'm still low on the totem pole...
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 7:50pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's great that they do full contact stick fighting. I really do.
    But that doesn't excuse poor grappling.

#1: Incredibly shitty armbar. If he does have control of the knife, as you say, it's hardly for more than a couple of seconds, and he's about to get passed.
    #2: Crossed ankles
    #3: Both knees on the ground, no penetration, no drive, no leverage, no nothing.
    Last edited by Mjelva; 8/06/2006 8:03pm at .

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 8:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva

#1: Incredibly shitty armbar. If he does have control of the knife, as you say, it's hardly for more than a couple of seconds, and he's about to get passed.
    #3: No penetration, both knees on the ground, no drive.
    You're right and now I see the light!
    :beatdead:

There is no excuse for poor grappling from people who may not even know how to grapple or from people who didn't want to grapple but were unfortuantlry put there by someone who did. I'm going to write the Dog Brothers and tell them to ban all people who are not blue belts or above in BJJ as the pictures will look horrendous on the internet. While I'm at it I see some terrible MT techniques that shouldn't be allowed either! What the hell was Marc Scott thinking when he teeped Dog Richard and got whacked across the thigh!

Along that same thought process I suppose any good FMA guy will critique my fights and pictures and tell me, "good application of punching, kicking and grappling Red Elvis but shittastic stick work" or perhaps "I think it's great Red Elvis that you decided to fight full contact with sticks but that doesn't excuse your poor FMA skills." Then I'd feel all bad at my lack of stick fighting ability (only been doing it for less than a year after all) and I'd give up and go back to BJJ and MT.

Or, I could take it as a lesson that perhaps my stick work needs improvement, go and train it more, grab my balls and fight again in November to see how my shittastic stickwork has improved. Just as I'm sure the guy I out-grappled in June is training his ass off in ground fighting after having been put in the triangle choke. Yes, I think I will do just that as the whole point of the Gathering is to test yourself after all. :toothy5:

All joking aside, I've been doing BJJ since you were seven years old and I would have to say that in my three fights even I probably looked like a crappler. Something about getting punched in the face repeatedly, head butted and hit with the butt end of a stick changed my game slightly and I missed some good sub and sweep opportunities. This was foreign ground for me and I learned alot by doing some things right and some things wrong. Lucky for me they will let me fight again even though I was clearly outclassed on my feet.

You live in Norway? A bit far from Switzerland no doubt but if you ever get a chance to train with this guy I highly recommend it. (Notice the head shots with the stick around 1:20+ and how it changed the grappling.)

He's also doing a seminar in Sweden which is *somewhat* close to you.

October 28 + 29, 2006
    Sweden Seminar
    with: Guro “Lonely Dog”
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 8/06/2006 8:54pm at .

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 5:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying they should quit. I'm saying their grappling has room for improvement.
    If critiquing someone's performance is frowned upon, exactly why does Bullshido still exist?
    Why is it ok to criticize a wing chunner who doesn't know how to grapple, but suddenly inappropriate to criticize a dog brother who doesn't know how to grapple? It makes no sense.

I mean, for the love of god, the guy is crossing his ankles in backmount!
    Last edited by Mjelva; 8/07/2006 5:10am at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 5:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

#3: Both knees on the ground, no penetration, no drive, no leverage, no nothing.

Yeah only crapplers cross their ankles. Freaking Dog Brothers . . .

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 11:19am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying they should quit. I'm saying their grappling has room for improvement.
    If critiquing someone's performance is frowned upon, exactly why does Bullshido still exist?
    Why is it ok to criticize a wing chunner who doesn't know how to grapple, but suddenly inappropriate to criticize a dog brother who doesn't know how to grapple? It makes no sense.

1) Your critiquing still photos. A frozen instant in time -- optimal or sub-optimal or even shitty -- does not necessarily represent the entire technique or exchange.

2) Criticize positively and constructively if you want to crticize at all -- don't just post "hee hee crappling hee hee neener neener". OK, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. :)

3) Ever grapple with someone (or yourself) wielding a knife or stick? I suspect it makes a huge difference in your responses to technique. I've trained FMA, and I'm a BJJ noob. I've never tried combining the two, but I bet it changes alot of things dramatically. Even if you choke out the knife-guy, it takes little effort for him to bury that knife in your body somewhere if you don't deal with it...

I don't doubt that most of the DB are probably not grapplers -- nothing wrong with that. They go all out anyway in any range with and without weapons, and my hat is off to them for that -- even though I think it's a little slice of crazy. :)

-dagorilla

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 3:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My grappling has plenty of room for improvement and like I mentioned earlier I have been doing BJJ since you were 7 years old and I was wrestling in state championships when you were 4 years old. Are you that good that you have no room for improvement? I hope for your sake not!

If critiquing someone's performance is frowned upon, exactly why does Bullshido still exist?.
    No problem with critiquing at all if you actually formalize your critique and back it up. Your first arguement was basically "I see shittastic grappling" based upon still photos and then your second arguement was then posting said photos. When I countered that you can't judge a still photograph and gave my rationale you followed with an arguement that didn't even address mine.

I.e. I explained that perhaps the guy wasn't going for an armbar, indeed wasn't in the position for an armbar and still you countered with "shitty armbar". Hello? Maybe he had an armbar and his opponent being the better grappler was already passing his guard? Maybe it was all the guy could do to keep control of the knife hand at that point? You don't know these things and neither do I. They could both be BJJ blackbelts or they could both be wing chunners. Therefore I think your rationale (or lack thereof) is lacking evidence hence my arguement. Just as you are allowed to critque (which is why bullshido is here), people are allowed to refute and debate your critique. That is what I am doing and I have nothing against you personally. Just trying to figure out how you arrived at your immediate conclusions and debating them.

I would never critque someone who didn't know how to grapple unless they were trying:

A. To claim they did and they clearly didn't
    B. To claim they can defeat it with said style (Which I think WC does often)
    C. They were trying to teach it without experience (crappling)
    D. So on and so forth...

Why it might be inappropriate to citicize someone at the Gathering is that none of these guys are claiming to be excellent grapplers. None are claiming there style is going to defeat grappling with their deadly FMA skills. None are trying to teach the deadly grapple who themselves don't know the deadly grapple. (Some are actually BJJ teachers though but you didn't post their pics). These guys are in a full contact stick fight and may know how to grapple and may not. Maybe they didn't even want to grapple. The point of the event is to try your knife or stick fighting in a no holds barred scenario with no judges, no points and no referees. Your looking at it with the wrong paradigm. Just as I am not going to criticize a world champion thai fighter who doesn't know how to grapple. (**Unless he claims he does**).

BTW - You weren't criticizing a Dog Brother either. You were critizing some random people who had the balls to fight in that setting. Anybody can come from anywhere and fight. It doesn't make them a Dog Brother. It doesn't cost any money, it's completely free, you can use any style and you can use any weapon as long as you can find a partner to fight. Even you could come and show your deadly grappling and it would be cool. You did critique a "Candidate Dog Brother" who you probably know on this site as PoiDog. But again I will not speak for him.

FYI - A Dog Brother name is only given to people who have fought in numerous events and have proven themselves to be good solid fighters. Some have backrounds in grappling, some have backrounds in MT and Krabi Krabong, and some have none of these. Most fighters at these events are not Dog Brothers. (Just trying to help educate you btw so you can make better arguements moving forward).

HA ha... I think God will forgive him. If not then I'm going to hell too as I've done it. :new_vampv
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 8/07/2006 3:07pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say you people have balls. And by that, I mean those that engage in full contact stick fighting.

:bowdown:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have room for improvement, as anyone else. If I do stupid ****, I prefer to be called on it, so I can improve my game.
    Therefore, I also call other people on it when I see what I consider stupid ****.

Criticizing stick fighters for flawed grappling is no different than criticizing a wrestler for poor striking. Both are fine in my opinion.

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 8:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    Yeah only crapplers cross their ankles. Freaking Dog Brothers . . .

Ahhh, grasshopper, you forget Rickson can't loose and is made of adamantium.

:eusa_shhh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast