Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overtraining at work

My friend has a job as a cartpusher, and it's incredibly strenuous for him, yet he tries to push more carts every day. He comes home exhausted, and regardless of what food he eats, he falls fast asleep, and is consistently sore the next day.

He's tried stretching and doing other ****, and it barely helps.

I was thinking about this the other day. If your day at work way like a strength workout for you, and your muscles were pumped and worn out at the end of each day, what would you do? I was thinking of warming up for the day like you would for a workout, and taking gatorade and protein shakes to drink so your muscles have the protein then and to speed recovery, until it becomes a cardio workout, but I don't know if it would work. He wants to join Judo with me and begin weightlifting, but he's afraid he'll pass out at work.

He tried weightlifting once and that's what happened. He's charged almost 3/4ths of his paycheck(s) every month in rent, so he can't break out of this rut, since he's too tired to even look for a job. He'd got a resume on Monster.com, and he checks his email daily, but this is the full extent of what he can do, since he makes 8.50 an hour and can't just put in an application anywhere else and expect more. He works 6 days a week, then 5 days a week, you know? 12 hour days.

I was wondering, what would you do if your job was this strenuous, and was trapped there? How would you get around it?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    My friend has a job as a cartpusher
    Well duh.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering, what would you do if your job was this strenuous, and was trapped there? How would you get around it?
    First of all, I'd worry about getting a better job. The rest is secondary.

If you don't have time or energy to improve your life, you don't have it for anything else.

Or, in other words, if you have tiem or energy for anything else but improving your life, you're spoiling it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a cartpusher?

Is that the guy at Walmart who cruises around and picks up all the shopping carts in the parking lot, then uses that motorized thing to make a huge train?

Back when I was young (20ish) I worked in a lumber yard loading up 50lbs bags of concrete, loading hundreds of sheets of drywall, etc all day long and still found time to train. I think it was mainly because of my incredible guns. Those of you who have seen the size of my arms know that I am a manly man. The kind of guy who can flex and rip a shirt. It doesn't even have to be my shirt. I could be on some guy walking across the street, or one sitting in my closet. I just flex these cannons and shirts just lose all integrity.

Oh yeah, I used to train when I did construction work too. It made me hella strong. Even for a guy with arms my size when you swing a hammer all day you get muscles on top of muscles. Not the kind of bodybuilder muscles you are thinking. You actually grow whole new muscles. Like the forearmus dorsi. People sitting in a bank all day will never have that muscle. Or maybe incredibus maximus. You get that muscle from holding stuff over your head all day.

So anyways back to the topic at hand. Tell your friend to quit being such a woman.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 3:36pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'd got a resume on Monster.com, and he checks his email daily, but this is the full extent of what he can do, since he makes 8.50 an hour and can't just put in an application anywhere else and expect more. He works 6 days a week, then 5 days a week, you know? 12 hour days.
    Instead of worrying about martial arts and weightlifting he should be thinking about better employment and school. No, having a resume on Monster doesn't count. Since he's a cartpusher I'm guessing that he has a high school deploma at the most. He doesn't have much in the realm of job qualifications, so he needs to work on that first or else he'll be pushing those carts until he's old and they switch him to being a greeter.

Your friend isn't trapped in his job, he's free to quit whenever he wants as long as he isn't under a contract. Since I've never heard of a cartpusher being under contract, I'm going to assume that he's not.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he quits, he's homeless. I think he could manage classes online, I'll suggest that to him.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    8.50 an hour? That's like 6.60 euro, which is criminal (Minimum wage is 7.60 here). Your friend should get himself a better job.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Min. wage here is being changed to 7 per hour, it's 6.50 now.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Min. wage here is being changed to 7 per hour, it's 6.50 now.
    Dollars?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. Cost of living is likely a lot lower than where you live, so it kind of makes up for it. For example, minimum wage is $7.36 (or something close to that) in Washington.

Though, making $8.50/hr I couldn't survive at all. And I did make $8.50/hr at my last job.

Anyway, he needs to get his ass in gear. Worst case scenario is he needs to get himself into the military. Which isn't bad at all. Especially if he goes to the Air Force. He can learn some useful stuff and not get shot in the face.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast