Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 1:13pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    laid back

The only formality is the slap hand before a roll.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    How do you deal with's guys who have big ego's in you school Yrkoon?

There's too many people to worry about it. I don't roll with the same people all that often. All the hard core peeps are cool. The egos don't last that long because eventually they get thier **** broken off.

We all have egos. Nobody can deny this. But if you can keep it in check you are fine. The problems occurr when two guys with egos keep escalating it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 7:21pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to consider my school laidback...with a sprinkle of respect! From what I heard it's more or less like in brazil. It's not bootcamp, but it sure ain't the daycare center, so we talk sometimes, joke around other times, but training as hard as we do normally makes you wanna close your mouth and breath trough your nose, which means, no talking for you or anyone else. The only two times when you're not doing anything is when you're watching someone else fight or when you'te getting a one minute breather between drillings!

There's a sense of respect for everyone or else...

And there's some hierarchy...everyone knows their place in the foodchain.:toothy10:

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 7:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we are extremely laid back, in which the instructor and the students treat eachother with the same level of respect.

no one ever bows.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i get the impression that while i (coming from a karate background) consider my bjj school quite laid back, we may in fact be somewhat more formal than most.

• bow on and off the mats
    • line up in order and bow at the beginning and end of class (including games about staying bowed until the instructor stands up, mostly as an excuse to make us do pushups once we're already worn out).
    • nominally not supposed to ask a senior student if they want to roll (primarily to keep the kids in line so the adults don't get swarmed, i think).
    • not supposed to stand or sit behind the instructor when he's demonstrating a technique (not like you can see what he's doing from there, anyway).
    • a quick bow before slapping hands and rolling. kiotzuke, rei, combate.
    • intermittent OSU, mostly from me.

i like it. quite relaxed, but just a bit of structure. and i do like structure. and bullet points.
    Last edited by pauli; 8/05/2006 8:28pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    There's too many people to worry about it. I don't roll with the same people all that often. All the hard core peeps are cool. The egos don't last that long because eventually they get thier **** broken off.

We all have egos. Nobody can deny this. But if you can keep it in check you are fine. The problems occurr when two guys with egos keep escalating it.
    Which is exactly what I expected your school to be.I'm just going to assume that anyone who can't deal with being tapped on a regualr basis ends up leaving.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 6:26am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.
    We're hardly ever more than ten people on a practice, and we're extremely laid back.
    You obviously shut up while the instructor is talking, but there's no bowing or lining up what so ever, and everybody rolls with everybody.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I'm instructing, class consists of some stretching (optional...if they wanna pull something, who am I to stand in the way?), warm up (optional, hit the bag for 10 mins...if they don't want to, again, I just don't give a ****), then spar, however they want to.

With new people, I run through the basics for the first half of every class until they feel comfortable sparring.

At any time, anyone can ask me for help with whatever they want to do, or just tell me to go **** my self.

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the beginning and end of class we line up from highest belt to lowest and the instructor at the front. This way there's a clear delineation of the class starting and ending. It also makes it easier for the instructor to address everyone with announcements for the club, gradings etc. At the end of the class the instructor will shake the hand of the first person in the line, then the next person whilst the first person in the line goes behind the instructor and shakes the second persons hand etc until you've shaken everyone's hand in the club.
    Generally, the more people in the club the more structure is required. We also have rules such as no talking when the instructor is talking, no trash talking, no swearing on the mat (to make it more female friendly and also as a sign of respect to your fellow students and instructors) and other rules which are not difficult to comply with but make a more respectful and enjoyable club, as well as keeping egos in line.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 9:03pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at JohnnyS, no swearing. Its a good rule, but you can sometimes hear a "****" or "o ****" at my club. Its very small and laid back though, maybe 10 people max show up for a class. Some classes its only 4 or 5 of us.

I think the bigger the classes get though, the more structure places use. Although I am still a fan of unstructured classes even for large classes. Just like a boxing school. You come, workout and the trainer walks around.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast