Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 1:22am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have met Rommel a few times, my friend trains with him. He was a long time TKD teacher & competetor before he started BJJ with Pedro Carvalho.

He is a VERY good black belt (under Pedro Carvalho) though I believe they no longer are on good terms/affiliated.

Dunbar got a SILVER Medal in THE MUNDIALS as a Brown Belt (In the Masters or Seniors division).

When I have met him he has always been nice enough, but I don't know him well. His school puts a BIG emphasis on conditioning/cardio.

Also in the Rancho C. area we have Pedro Cavalho's school & Millenia Jiujitsu. Not to mention Rodrigo Texiera's (EXCELLENT) school in Walnut.
    Last edited by Spezza; 8/06/2006 1:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 4:46am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunbar's is close to UCR, just down the freeway.

Posted On:
    8/09/2006 6:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Afrin:

I go to UCR and the jiu jitsu club you mention is a class that's 45 dollars per quarter under a Joe Moreira blackbelt (that's what he says, couldn't find him on bjj.org). It's a fun place to go to twice a week but it's not really if you're serious about competing. I've been looking for bjj and mma schools in this area too.

Two of them I've come across are: USKO ( www.uskokarate.com) and KO Boxing and Fitness. I haven't had a chance to check either of them out in person yet. (Actually I went into USKO because they had grappling advertised on the window; seemed very kid oriented). Sorry I googled it but I couldn't find a website for KO Boxing and Fitness. If you go to this link:

www.usadojo.com/kata/schools1.asp?state=CA

about 3/4 of the way down you'll find "Streetwise Karate at KO Boxing and Fitness"
    The style is listed as MMA. It's on Indiana off of the Tyler exit (apprx 10 mins from UCR)

If anybody can shed more light on either of these gyms, it'd be much appreciated.

Good luck finding a school Afrin and let us know how each of your visits go.

P.S. I should be more clear about USKO. Although the website doesn't really say so clearly, there are adult grappling and muay thai classes offered. (Or so they say)
    Last edited by christ0ph; 8/09/2006 6:38am at .

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out WWW.ULTIMATETRAININGCENTER.COM its in Riverside and offers BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, Eskrima. Its a nice facility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2006 8:01pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by technician79
    Check out WWW.ULTIMATETRAININGCENTER.COM its in Riverside and offers BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, Eskrima. Its a nice facility.
    That's awesome, I'll definitely look into it. It looks intimidating considering that I've never done martial arts before whatsoever.

Given that, it occurred to me that I could have my own "diary." The true diary of a MMA graduate student starting at day zero. hmm

Posted On:
    3/29/2007 2:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rommel Dunbar is great training

I have trained with Rommel for about two years, I have known him for about 7 years. We have had our ups and downs, but he is a good guy. The point is his school is one of the best BJJ schools out there. I have trained at many of them.
    Each class is one hour and a half, lots of killer cardio, great technique, great bunch of guys. It is an aggressive school, great place to train to win at a tournament.
    He has had a multiple degree in Japanese Jujitsu for years, he got his BJJ Black Belt about three years ago from Pedro Carvalo in Rancho Cucamonga, another great school.
    His website it www.unitedbjj.com. check out one class for free, or go and watch,you will see what I mean.

Great training.

As far as being a ref and making a bad call, who knows. I have been a ref and it stinks as a job. Nobody is happy, everyone is mad at you, very diffucult job. If you have never been a ref, do it and you will see what I mean. Maybe it was a bad call, so what.

Great training. He is over off of Van Buren in Riverside (951)687-9000 Tell him Martin Walker sent u over there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 12:02am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman
    I have trained with Rommel for about two years, I have known him for about 7 years. We have had our ups and downs, but he is a good guy. The point is his school is one of the best BJJ schools out there. I have trained at many of them.
    Each class is one hour and a half, lots of killer cardio, great technique, great bunch of guys. It is an aggressive school, great place to train to win at a tournament.
    He has had a multiple degree in Japanese Jujitsu for years, he got his BJJ Black Belt about three years ago from Pedro Carvalo in Rancho Cucamonga, another great school.
    His website it www.unitedbjj.com. check out one class for free, or go and watch,you will see what I mean.

Great training.

As far as being a ref and making a bad call, who knows. I have been a ref and it stinks as a job. Nobody is happy, everyone is mad at you, very diffucult job. If you have never been a ref, do it and you will see what I mean. Maybe it was a bad call, so what.

Great training. He is over off of Van Buren in Riverside (951)687-9000 Tell him Martin Walker sent u over there.
    It was a bad call. I was at a tournament last weekend. Ref made a bad call. He admitted. being a ref is one of the most fucked positions possible but he made a bad call and didn't want to admit it. I've got no respect for that. Maybe I'll change my mind later but I've seen it too often. I've even requested different refs because refs weren't keeping the competitors safe. I got slammed on a hard wood floor by a 300lbs guy I had in a cross lapel choke. The ref said it was an accident. **** that, egos and refing don't go together.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 12:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ , Muay Thai, +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Plus, assuming the kick is real, why would anyone want to kick one of their own class patners like that? Why would a tall man kick a much smaller woman (or ghay dude with long hair) in the stomach with such force as to put her into orbit?

Maybe she is an avatar of the inner enemies they refer in the FAQ page.

*** EDIT ***

BTW, I saved the image on my comp, and zoomed the **** out of it - the foot landing on the "red shirt" girl/dude looks weird. It certainly looks photoshopped.
    Watch out there macho, the last guy that underestimated this long haired "ghey dude" got a nice, big taste of concrete while enjoying a generous helping of ground and pound. :XXsmoker:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 1:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ , Muay Thai, +

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin

It almost looks Photoshoped. Think about it, the girl is in the air, but being kicked in the stomach, if she was standing on the ground that kick would have hit her in the face, so how did it end up hitting her stomach, the only way this could happen is if she jumped into the air herself and then took the kick.

Its just weird…
    the kick is retarded, but possible. imagine she is coming at him with a jump kick, or jump spinning back kick and he catches her mid air. it would have to be perfectly timed, and odds are that was choreograped. possible, but very unlikely.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234