Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    148
    Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Riverside Jiu Jitsu; Rommel Dunbar questions concerns

    I have to say that I really love this site, and I think I'm actually addicted. I started checking this site out when a friend told me that I should get involved with is
    ke?po school, and I decided to do some research. While I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his school (that I know of) I've decided that Ke?po is not the way i want to go and would like to explore BJJ and MMA. That being said, I'm moving from San Diego to Riverside this fall for grad school and started looking for a local BJJ school (if possible).

    Doing a cursory search, I found http://www.unitedbjj.com/default.htm Does anyone have an opion about Dunbar? I am a little worried that he offers TKD along side BJJ. Is that a warning sign? Are there any other recommendations for Riverside?



    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,234
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me give you congrats on using capitial letters, a normal font , a brief history and a link to said school. This is rare for n00bs.


    As for TKD along side BJJ. Not a warning sign, dojos got to pay rent too. I would send an email asking for their BJJ qualification, aka instructors,rank etc.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    148
    Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, he is listed on BJJ.org: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/dunbar-rommel.html, and his site says he's certified by the Confederacao Brasileira De Jiu-Jitsu as a black belt. He looks good on paper, but by any chance someone has had a personal encounter or opinion? I would love to hear it. Or, I would certainly like to hear other recomendations for Riverside.

  4. #4
    Tenebrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,415
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrin
    well, he is listed on BJJ.org: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/dunbar-rommel.html, and his site says he's certified by the Confederacao Brasileira De Jiu-Jitsu as a black belt. He looks good on paper, but by any chance someone has had a personal encounter or opinion? I would love to hear it. Or, I would certainly like to hear other recomendations for Riverside.
    Don't mind what else runs out of a given school. Lots of them share space to pay the bills.

    Where in Riverside?

  5. #5
    Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    plasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,234
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrin
    well, he is listed on BJJ.org: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/dunbar-rommel.html, and his site says he's certified by the Confederacao Brasileira De Jiu-Jitsu as a black belt. He looks good on paper, but by any chance someone has had a personal encounter or opinion? I would love to hear it. Or, I would certainly like to hear other recomendations for Riverside.

    BJJ is pretty strict with its grading, a BJJ.org Black Belt, go for it.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,770
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrin
    I have to say that I really love this site, and I think I'm actually addicted. I started checking this site out when a friend told me that I should get involved with is
    ke?po school, and I decided to do some research. While I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his school (that I know of) I've decided that Ke?po is not the way i want to go and would like to explore BJJ and MMA. That being said, I'm moving from San Diego to Riverside this fall for grad school and started looking for a local BJJ school (if possible).

    Doing a cursory search, I found http://www.unitedbjj.com/default.htm Does anyone have an opion about Dunbar? I am a little worried that he offers TKD along side BJJ. Is that a warning sign? Are there any other recommendations for Riverside?



    Thanks
    Yeah, I think he's an asshole, and you can tell him I said that too. I was watching a match where he was the judge. This guy gets neckcranked. The guy getting neck cranked cried out neck crank, then he had to tap. I told Dunbar that was a neck crank and he shook his head. I said I'm not going to argue with you but watch this. I walked on the mat, turned around 'everybody who thought that was a neck crank raise your hand. 85% of the crowd raised their hand. He looked at me for 5 seconds or so and then said 'it was a choke.' The guy doesn't deserve to ref if this is how he's going to be.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,770
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    Don't mind what else runs out of a given school. Lots of them share space to pay the bills.

    Where in Riverside?
    East of San Diego County, South of Orange County.

  8. #8
    Tenebrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,415
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    East of San Diego County, South of Orange County.
    Good thing Riverside is just a couple miles across then, eh?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    148
    Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, do you have suggestions of anyone else I should check out? And to whomever asked, I'll be living near UC Riverside.


    hah... I think i would say it's north of San Diego county and east of Orange county

  10. #10
    Tenebrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,415
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrin
    Omega, do you have suggestions of anyone else I should check out? And to whomever asked, I'll be living near UC Riverside.


    hah... I think i would say it's north of San Diego county and east of Orange county
    Other than Dunbar, there's a Joe Moreira blackbelt in Norco and Dunbar's instructor operates out of Rancho Cucamonga. If you're willing to drive that is.

    I found someone's myspace profile claiming they were part of a BJJ club at UCR, but was unable to find any more information on a bjj club at UCR. Hunt around at the campus for clubs, if they have anything legit it's likely to be the cheapest training you're ever going to get.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO