Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 4:03pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Riverside Jiu Jitsu; Rommel Dunbar questions concerns

I have to say that I really love this site, and I think I'm actually addicted. I started checking this site out when a friend told me that I should get involved with is
    ke?po school, and I decided to do some research. While I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his school (that I know of) I've decided that Ke?po is not the way i want to go and would like to explore BJJ and MMA. That being said, I'm moving from San Diego to Riverside this fall for grad school and started looking for a local BJJ school (if possible).

Doing a cursory search, I found http://www.unitedbjj.com/default.htm Does anyone have an opion about Dunbar? I am a little worried that he offers TKD along side BJJ. Is that a warning sign? Are there any other recommendations for Riverside?

Thanks

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 4:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me give you congrats on using capitial letters, a normal font , a brief history and a link to said school. This is rare for n00bs.

As for TKD along side BJJ. Not a warning sign, dojos got to pay rent too. I would send an email asking for their BJJ qualification, aka instructors,rank etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, he is listed on BJJ.org: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/dunbar-rommel.html, and his site says he's certified by the Confederacao Brasileira De Jiu-Jitsu as a black belt. He looks good on paper, but by any chance someone has had a personal encounter or opinion? I would love to hear it. Or, I would certainly like to hear other recomendations for Riverside.

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 4:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrin
    well, he is listed on BJJ.org: http://www.bjj.org/a/people/dunbar-rommel.html, and his site says he's certified by the Confederacao Brasileira De Jiu-Jitsu as a black belt. He looks good on paper, but by any chance someone has had a personal encounter or opinion? I would love to hear it. Or, I would certainly like to hear other recomendations for Riverside.
    Don't mind what else runs out of a given school. Lots of them share space to pay the bills.

Where in Riverside?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 4:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ is pretty strict with its grading, a BJJ.org Black Belt, go for it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say that I really love this site, and I think I'm actually addicted. I started checking this site out when a friend told me that I should get involved with is
    ke?po school, and I decided to do some research. While I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his school (that I know of) I've decided that Ke?po is not the way i want to go and would like to explore BJJ and MMA. That being said, I'm moving from San Diego to Riverside this fall for grad school and started looking for a local BJJ school (if possible).

Doing a cursory search, I found http://www.unitedbjj.com/default.htm Does anyone have an opion about Dunbar? I am a little worried that he offers TKD along side BJJ. Is that a warning sign? Are there any other recommendations for Riverside?

Thanks
    Yeah, I think he's an asshole, and you can tell him I said that too. I was watching a match where he was the judge. This guy gets neckcranked. The guy getting neck cranked cried out neck crank, then he had to tap. I told Dunbar that was a neck crank and he shook his head. I said I'm not going to argue with you but watch this. I walked on the mat, turned around 'everybody who thought that was a neck crank raise your hand. 85% of the crowd raised their hand. He looked at me for 5 seconds or so and then said 'it was a choke.' The guy doesn't deserve to ref if this is how he's going to be.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    Don't mind what else runs out of a given school. Lots of them share space to pay the bills.

Where in Riverside?
    East of San Diego County, South of Orange County.

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    East of San Diego County, South of Orange County.
    Good thing Riverside is just a couple miles across then, eh?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, do you have suggestions of anyone else I should check out? And to whomever asked, I'll be living near UC Riverside.

hah... I think i would say it's north of San Diego county and east of Orange county

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, do you have suggestions of anyone else I should check out? And to whomever asked, I'll be living near UC Riverside.

hah... I think i would say it's north of San Diego county and east of Orange county
    Other than Dunbar, there's a Joe Moreira blackbelt in Norco and Dunbar's instructor operates out of Rancho Cucamonga. If you're willing to drive that is.

I found someone's myspace profile claiming they were part of a BJJ club at UCR, but was unable to find any more information on a bjj club at UCR. Hunt around at the campus for clubs, if they have anything legit it's likely to be the cheapest training you're ever going to get.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast