The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fisting Kittens -
    Okay, there are a million tips you can use when squatting. However, it is best to start safe and easy.

Phrost is correct that powercleans are good but they are also a VERY advanced exercise in which its VERY easy to injury yourself. Its probably better to start with squats and/or deadlifts first for 6+ months befor thinking about it..

Do not do them on a smith machine. I keep telling Phrost this and he keeps ignoring me. :) The reason for this is the smith machine locks you into a specific plane of movement, which isn't how your body is desgined to move. This puts massive structural pressure on your knees, lower back and shoulders - as they have to compensate.

Follow these tips:

1) Because you've built your leg muscles in other exercises, they can carry more weight in the squats than yous shoulders like to. If you've not used to doing squats, your shoulders won't be used to carrying the bar on them. It will be uncomfortable for a while.

2) While your shoulders should be uncomfortable, your neck should NOT be. This is probably because your carrying the bar too high on your shoulders. Try moving it down a bit. If your shoulders are scrunched back (yeah I know thats not really a word...) and holding the bar they actually help to create a bit of a platform for the bar to sit on. An easier idea then a large pad (which may get in the way) is doing squats in a comfortable jumper (ahhh... in the US are they called pullovers?) to provide a little bit of padding.

Experiment with a light bar to see where best to place the bar. It should be just below the big protruding vertebrae at the base of the neck (I can't be bothered looking up its name...). However, placing the bar too low can cause too much forward lean so be careful.

3) There is debate about how low you should go in squats. Its different for everyone, but damage can be cumulative for people who constantly go below 90 degrees. They may notice pain in their knees after years. At least until you've got the movement down, only go to parallel (but use a mirror if possible, because often guys who think they are going parallel are only moving 5-6 inches!

4) Not sure of your dimensions. The taller and lankier you are, the harder it is to maintain good form while squatting. Tall skinny people are structurally better suited to deadlift.

cheers,
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the tips FoM.

---------
    Shut up and train

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3) There is debate about how low you should go in squats. Its different for everyone, but damage can be cumulative for people who constantly go below 90 degrees. They may notice pain in their knees after years. At least until you've got the movement down, only go to parallel (but use a mirror if possible, because often guys who think they are going parallel are only moving 5-6 inches!
    I was doing deep-knee squats for a while, but I was lucky. I could feel them damaging my legs within a month, and to the point at which I could no longer crouch down. I started going parallel, problem solved.

THIS IS BOYD WHEN HE'S RUNNING FROM THE SCHOOL YARD AFTER GETTING BEAT UP: boydrunner, beep beep, that coyote's after you, beep beep, boydrunner if he catches you, your through. --Jamoke, winning the hearts of children worldwide
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 4:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost-but did you allow adequte time for your knees to grow? maybe you didn't
    *shrugs*

"I hate squats; I have bad knees and I'm paranoid about wrecking my back. I usually do very light ones, then go heavy on the leg press."
    I LOVE SQUATS. I used to have horrid knee problems and injuries from playing soccer, since i started doing squats (and other leg exercises) the daily, sometimes almost crippling pain disappeared and i totally feel my knees stronger.

"Also make sure that when doing squats that you don't bounce at the bottom. Pause for a second."
    what he said

"I was doing deep-knee squats for a while, but I was lucky. I could feel them damaging my legs within a month, and to the point at which I could no longer crouch down. I started going parallel, problem solved."
    what he said, slow and controlled

MrYoya-I remember seeing that in my catalog from ironmind

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    http://www.fightauthority.com/

nedhinkly-"You are little more than a thug, street trash, if you will. I think from now on I will call you street rat, after a character in one of my favorite movies of all time."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12