Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 12:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItOnlyHurtsOnce
    Poop Loops, you can come give me your big cock anyday.... if you want to choke on mine first.

here is another one of their vids showing some of their other training. I'm not defending what they do, just saying your awful fucking whiney when they don't seem to be making any false claims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PJJXq0KDtk

That second video does not look so bad to me. The above clip shows grappling, striking, and mma type sparring. Besides the instuctors demonstrations, the only cartwheel shown in the video was as a guard pass, which you see in BJJ pretty often.

There does appear to be some traditional style stuff mixed in- the bowing, some preplanned self defense techniques- but not to the exlcusion of logical training methods- they even seemed to be hitting a heavy bag.

Have you ever had someone ask to be shown what BJJ is like? As a fun demo, not as a challange? That **** is difficult- come here, now sit down, now I'll wrap my legs around you, and here is my crotch.

I just hip throw people now, because it is fun to be spun around. I think the crazy acrobatic crap is a pretty good way to lure people to come train at what looks like a school that spars in all ranges.

As for complaints about hurt students- who did the complaining? People not used to getting banged around, or are we talking true, unnecessary injuries? People get hurt in Judo all the damn time, and that looked like judo to me in a lot of places.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 12:23pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video clip is awesome.

It's not fighting, but it's awesome.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:04pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
    That was very Tekken. It would make great crowd pleasers if you could train them to work.
    I honestly don't think any of them could be made to work. Every technique shown in the demo was absolutely dependent on the partner's pause after contact. It reminded me of every fight scene involving Wesley Snipes in that respect. In particular, I'd say the throw into armbar shown at 0:21 is as likely to work in an alive scenario as I am to beat Asia.

Beyond the timing aspect, the throw from what I would call an armlock (perhaps a "flying armlock") at 0:45 plainly illustrates the emphasis on flashy movement. There was no practical reason for Corbell to throw himself into a breakfall as part of throwing his partner. In fact, it's quite possbile that his performing the throw in that fashion would make the throw itself less effective (changing his leverage on the arm). Further study of this technique shows that Corbell's application of the throw doesn't matter because his training partner flipped himself, this can be clearly seen at 0:47~0:48. This explains why the throw "worked" despite the fact that Corbell was already airborne when he obtained the proper leverage on his partner's arm. They were actually both airborne at that point, which I would accept if his partner was attempting some kind of escape.

I will admit, as I feel obligated to whenever I critique someone's performance, that I have essentially never trained. However, I have seen this type of throw (the latter of my two examples) properly executed many times and, much more importantly, am intimately knowledgeable with regard to body mechanics due to my decades of physical therapy. I also am interested in their competition record, though it won't affect my opinion of them. They will never get my respect because they posted this garbage, **** 'em.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    I honestly don't think any of them could be made to work. Every technique shown in the demo was absolutely dependent on the partner's pause after contact. It reminded me of every fight scene involving Wesley Snipes in that respect. In particular, I'd say the throw into armbar shown at 0:21 is as likely to work in an alive scenario as I am to beat Asia.

Beyond the timing aspect, the throw from what I would call an armlock (perhaps a "flying armlock") at 0:45 plainly illustrates the emphasis on flashy movement. There was no practical reason for Corbell to throw himself into a breakfall as part of throwing his partner. In fact, it's quite possbile that his performing the throw in that fashion would make the throw itself less effective (changing his leverage on the arm). Further study of this technique shows that Corbell's application of the throw doesn't matter because his training partner flipped himself, this can be clearly seen at 0:47~0:48. This explains why the throw "worked" despite the fact that Corbell was already airborne when he obtained the proper leverage on his partner's arm. They were actually both airborne at that point, which I would accept if his partner was attempting some kind of escape.

I will admit, as I feel obligated to whenever I critique someone's performance, that I have essentially never trained. However, I have seen this type of throw (the latter of my two examples) properly executed many times and, much more importantly, am intimately knowledgeable with regard to body mechanics due to my decades of physical therapy. I also am interested in their competition record, though it won't affect my opinion of them. They will never get my respect because they posted this garbage, **** 'em.
    Ya know it's funny, because the line I've heard to defend techniques that when demonstrated involve the person being attacked to literally throw themselves with it is, "well they only threw themselves with the technique because they were preventing their arm from being broken....had he not jumped like that (and conveniently made it look really flashy) then he would be seriously injured."
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even the regular double leg or hip throw isn't enough for him. He needs to twirl the guy around. I swear, he should just pick up swing dancing.
    Last edited by Poop Loops; 8/04/2006 2:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 2:12pm

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the second video, why is it whenever someone locks in an armbar is the man on bottom always rolling away from the man on top?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    I honestly don't think any of them could be made to work.
    Not the judo throw (tai otoshi) to armbar at 0:56 - that's feasible. The problem is that the dude doesn't provide any resistance, so it looks like ukemi, or a flashy demo (which that's what the clip is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Even the regular double leg or hip throw isn't enough for him. He needs to twirl the guy around. I swear, he should just pick up swing dancing
    See, his body is experiencing vibrations at the quantum level - that makes him twist and twirl as he execute his moves. That's what Quantum Jiu Jitsu is all about!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second video looks a lot better.

What do you mean Hurt? The guys on bottom were trying to face AWAY from the guy on top. Is that what you mean? Yeah, that's stupid. Ummm... I dunno.

The self defense portion was pretty bad, too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhistate
    But this isn't training, specifically, this was a test to see he if was ready to get a BB. If there is no risk of injury, then WTF is he doing? Playing MA?

People can be crippled/killed using all sorts of blunt objects (every seen someone get cracked in the face with nunchucks? Or hit themselves in the back of the head with a staff? Or break their hand/wrist breaking boards?). Yeah, for sure a live blade can cause significant damage, but if your argument is going to be "it's dangerous and he could've gotten seriously hurt" ALL weapons should be banned in MA schools. They all *might* cause serious damage.

Besides, for all we know the person doing the strikes has enough training to stop if the person doesn't move, or to keep from doing serious damage. Unless someone here contacts them and finds out what the deal was (was the blade sharp? what happens if the person doesn't move?), you can't argue that it is any more dangerous than using a shinai.

As for the insurance policy point, most policies include coverage for loss of limb/life. If he's got insurance, and the person signed a waiver, he has a case to defend himself in course should he be sued, and the insurance company will pay out. That's what it's for.
    Honestly, that is one of the dumbest thing I have read on these forums. The head instructor of the school has a duty to provide for the safety of his students. The waivers we all sign, at least all of us who train with full resistance, only provide the school and instructor with protection from accidental injury, i.e., your rolling and you fail to roll with the guy pulling a reverse oma on you and you snap your shoulder, or you loose your balance and twist or break your ankle going down. HOWEVER........if your fucking instructor, of all people, takes out a live katana and swings it at you that is what is known in court as gross negligence, at a minimum, and possibly attempted murder (depending on the circumstasnces). Either way the waiver is useless and the instructor can expect to be sued both in his corpoate and individual capacity for being A MORON!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 5:04pm

Style: WC,JJ,Kenju,C.BoxN,ElboNe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    flashy versions/interpretations of real techniques :(

it could just the difference in the way I learned it

example:

10sec-12secs

that version looks like a tekken/VF move

rolling into an armbar can work, but the way he does it his oppenent would put him on his a$$ or worse, OR his opponent would stand there and laugh

compare 19secs-21secs, wrong!

with 42-45 secs, a little better

bear in mind the correct version of many of these is hard to do
    Last edited by Liger; 8/04/2006 5:11pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast