Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:14pm

Style: Combatives Pankration BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    theardri ,

I can see that , if the disarms are off a scripted attack and the attacker is honor bound not to TRY and cut the **** out of you .

I don't have problem with metal training weapons . Especialy for black belt level testing . I only have an issue if it was a live blade ... and if their insurance company didn't know about .

Ok a couple of things

New Zealand (where I hail from and was trained) has socialized health care that actually works. Almost none of us are insured in NZ, and when we are it would be for MAJOR surgery, not a few stiches. Plus in my re-enactment days (ok so I like sowrds) I got hurt more (several scars) from a "blunt" sword (and some faulty armour) than here. Worst injury in CQB is some idiot Karate black belt visiting snapping a kick on a knee when he was supposed to be padding me down to learn a technique. That resulted in a hyper extended knee (it should have broken but I just went with it)

Our "scipted attacks" were all with the rubber training weapon to get an idea of the mechanics. However we phase tested (graded in any other language) with a real knife. Not razor sharp but a edged knife. In 5 years I have not seen (or heard of) anyone getting cut or hurt.

Yes it could go wrong, but it is well controlled and we don't phase test till WE feel ready. As for vs a sword ... how often is someone gonna come at you with one in real life (ok besides me if you break into my house, it's either a sword or a nerf gun,and nerf guns are oh so deadly ;) )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:17pm

Style: pa-kua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    It's called safety. Hell, the one testing couldn't have accidently farted and because of that, not moved away fast enough and caught a whole lot of sword in the backside. Yeah, I know, it sounds stupid but accidents happen and you don't want to be using real weapons when they do. That's the point of TRAINING weapons, they are used so you can train with them without killing yourself and others.
    But this isn't training, specifically, this was a test to see he if was ready to get a BB. If there is no risk of injury, then WTF is he doing? Playing MA?

People can be crippled/killed using all sorts of blunt objects (every seen someone get cracked in the face with nunchucks? Or hit themselves in the back of the head with a staff? Or break their hand/wrist breaking boards?). Yeah, for sure a live blade can cause significant damage, but if your argument is going to be "it's dangerous and he could've gotten seriously hurt" ALL weapons should be banned in MA schools. They all *might* cause serious damage.

Besides, for all we know the person doing the strikes has enough training to stop if the person doesn't move, or to keep from doing serious damage. Unless someone here contacts them and finds out what the deal was (was the blade sharp? what happens if the person doesn't move?), you can't argue that it is any more dangerous than using a shinai.

As for the insurance policy point, most policies include coverage for loss of limb/life. If he's got insurance, and the person signed a waiver, he has a case to defend himself in course should he be sued, and the insurance company will pay out. That's what it's for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 5:33pm

Style: judo/tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as you can tell from a picture, but those black belts looked built to grapple.
    anybody know about tournement records ?:waijima

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhistate
    But this isn't training, specifically, this was a test to see he if was ready to get a BB. If there is no risk of injury, then WTF is he doing? Playing MA?
    Yes. Even with the live blade, he was playing MA. Out of all of his training and testing, the ability to dodge a sword was deemed the most "extreme" thing he did?

"Don't come any closer, or I'll dodge this sword!!!"

People can be crippled/killed using all sorts of blunt objects (every seen someone get cracked in the face with nunchucks?
    Hahahahaah

Or hit themselves in the back of the head with a staff?
    Wha? My hands don't go that far... how?

Or break their hand/wrist breaking boards?).
    That's what you get for trying to beat up a piece of wood or concrete. Not my fault you're a moron.

Yeah, for sure a live blade can cause significant damage, but if your argument is going to be "it's dangerous and he could've gotten seriously hurt" ALL weapons should be banned in MA schools. They all *might* cause serious damage.
    Are you fucking stupid? Don't answer that, I already know the answer is "yes".

They could have used a bokken or Iaito. Dull. They will hurt like a ************, but they won't cut your stomach open. You need to compare risk vs reward here.

What's the risk of getting sliced with a katana? Fairly big, and for a LOT of damage. Reward for dodging it? Looking cool? Please.

Furthermore, you can't cut somone in half with a staff, spear (you can even make it dull), or any other fancy weapon. There is no reason to use a sharp weapon in the gym unless you actually plan on cutting something.

Besides, for all we know the person doing the strikes has enough training to stop if the person doesn't move, or to keep from doing serious damage.
    Don't be stupid. First he completely commits to the attack, and a split second before it he just stops? Furthermore, if the student knew that, what would be the point of using a live blade? "Oh ****, it's sharp. But it's ok, Sensei can stop it."

Unless someone here contacts them and finds out what the deal was (was the blade sharp? what happens if the person doesn't move?), you can't argue that it is any more dangerous than using a shinai.
    Again, you're a dumbass. If it wasn't sharp, what would be the point of putting that online vs. sparring?

As for the insurance policy point, most policies include coverage for loss of limb/life. If he's got insurance, and the person signed a waiver, he has a case to defend himself in course should he be sued, and the insurance company will pay out. That's what it's for.
    It's really that easy, eh? They can't just oh I don't know... look at the video and say "what kind of moron tries to dodge a live blade on purpose like that? Why not use a dull blade?"

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care what you all say, that video contained some sick shiznit. Grappling XMA ftw!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 8:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carlos Sr. died for your anti-grappling sins and this is how you repay him!?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 9:19pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the vid, it was exciting and had a lot of aerial techniques that led to ground submissions....against a compliant opponent!!

The most important question has still not been answered. Has anyone ever rolled against these guys or knows anything about their tournament records?

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 9:27pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BBBAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 9:29pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay so their demo is flashy and honestly looks badass. The simple fact is most Jujitsu is boring to the normal person until they get into it and are doing it themselves. I can't believe you pansies are bitching cuz he is using a live bladed sword. These are prolly some of the same people that bitch about kids flailing around foam plastic ninja turtle nunchaku and calling it a martial art.

If these guys wanna dodge real swords, more power to them. It has to focus your attention when you know it is gonna hurt like hell if it cuts you. No, you won't find me doing silly **** like this but I don't see why you flame if they agree to do so.

Its really hard to judge a school from a demo video. I read a little bit of the site, I didn't see him claiming to be able to teach you to defend yourself in 6 weeks or promising black belts in a certain amount of time. Absolute worse things worst its XMA with some contact.

I dont' see what the big fuss is about and I thought the demo clip looked cool. You have to give him cool points even if it is unrealistic.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/03/2006 10:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItOnlyHurtsOnce
    Okay so I'm a fucking moron. Getting raped in the ass only hurt once, because his dick was too small. Now I love it because I get huge cocks all the time.
    Fixed.

Their demo consisted entirely of flash. No substance. No sparring, which is the most important thing. Does boxing look pretty? Wrestling? No, but they work.

There is nothing to prove in using a live blade in a grappling art. You don't have to bake a cake to get your English degree, why should you play around with a sword for a grappling belt?

Not to mention THERE WAS NO SPARRING YOU FUCKING **** HEAD!! If they want to be hardcore, why don't they spar? All I saw was flash, followed by "look, I can dodge a sword!"

Awesome.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast