Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:36pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First BJJ Tourney Last Weekend (Story)

So after about 5-6 months of training BJJ I went to a tournament last Saturday. I was the Western Canada Martial Arts Championship ( http://www.challengeproductions.tk ) Anywho I had a blast, but there is a story to go with it. I was supposed to be in the open weight division for 6 months and under white belts. A little side note to mention is not only am I a newb, but I was out of the game for a couple of months (My brother passed away from Lukemia and it really screwed/is still screwing with my head) However, only my friend and I were in that division. But luck would have it that the same thing was happening in the over 6 months white belt category. So I got to fight this huge muscle bound guy and my friend got to fight a guy from a Gracie Barra.

I was pretty sure I was in trouble as soon as I saw the two guys I had the opportunity to fight, they looked bigger, stronger, faster and I was sure they were more technical having more experience in BJJ than I. Nonetheless I was happy to be in there.

My first match I was against a guy who had to have been a wrestler. He put on those ear protectors before the match started and I thought to myself (after seeing him practice fire man carries and HUGE double legs) that I was gunna get thrown on my head. When the match started we both shot at the same time (thats my favorite takedown) and he scored the takedown and fell in my full guard. After a feeble armbar attempt he passed to side control and got me in a scarf hold, then tapped me with a shoulder lock. No worries, I tried as hard as I could.

My friend lost his match fairly decisively as well, he tried and thats all that really matters. So King Kong and Godzilla fought for the first and second place while my friend and I fought for third. I managed to win by points but was disappointed with my terrible armbar from mount attempt. But I did get a cool lookin medal.

So there was my first tourney. Owned. Hard. But I had a great time. Is there anyone in the vancouver / maple ridge area who trains with Don Whitefield? I am gunna check out his school soon, but any insight would be great.

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 7:37pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this might last a few hours if the Government doesn't notice, but you need to realize that this isn't a "general grappling discussion forum." Good job competing and all, but don't put threads like this in here. They go in YMAS or Guantanamo Bay.

DHS is a place for fairly focused discussion.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 7:38pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kk

wont happen again

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 11:57pm

supporting member