Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mentioned some stories from Cebuano FMA people, anyone from Doce Pares or the Canete family among them? Do you have a link to the stories?
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mercurius: Nope, no links. Just stories over coffee the last time I was there (oh and over a few beers but I can't remember the rest of those evenings LOL).

And I won't state what FMA style they're from. Cebu is full of great clubs.

Actually, It's not just the Cebu people but a few other visiting FMA people from the US. Some are old timers, started in the 1970 or 1980s, and they filled me in on the truth behind the hype.

Dan Inosanto was born in the US of Filipino parents. It's widely known here that he's never set foot in the Philippines.

I'm actually a bit surprised that he gave a testimonial for the Sayocs. Inosanto knows tons more about knife fighting than all the Sayocs combined.

I respect Dan Inosanto. The guy knows his stuff. But I think he should think twice before giving testimonials like that. And he should come over here and show us locals what he can do.

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Dan Inosanto testimonial doesn't mean much. He's never been to the Philippines anyway.
    Then you say
    I'm actually a bit surprised that he gave a testimonial for the Sayocs. Inosanto knows tons more about knife fighting than all the Sayocs combined.

I respect Dan Inosanto. The guy knows his stuff.
    Which is it? He knows his stuff or he's full of ****?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To a lot of FMA guys in the Philippines, a testimonial from Dan Inosanto doesn't mean much. A lot of the locals don't think much of him coz he's never been here.

Personally, I have respect for the man. Just surprised that he endorsed the Sayocs.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No wonder he doesn't have an accent. "Okeh, perst you block de punch here, then backfist to the pace-*pak!*--, then knee to de ribs -*pak!*-, and pinish wid elbow to de neck -*bang!*-!"

And yes, a Filipino accent can be that bad. Just try asking some of my relatives for directions once.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 2:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hijikime, you seem to be in a fighting mood of late. First picking on the Dog Brothers, now the poor Sayoc's. One thing thats always bothered me, is why are all the top Sayoc guys so damned fat. Not just a little over-weight, but damn sumo sized mofos. I take it Sayoc Kali doesnt provide much of a physical workout, but it would be nice to see the top guys (especially some of the younger ones) that arent as wide as they are tall. Anyways, if you read thier history thingy on thier site, they do credit Tuhon Gaje with teaching them, and it is fairly common knowledge that they were first a TKD school. So what. Everyone has to learn somewhere. How many FMA clubs in Cebu were/are also karate clubs as well. Not a big deal. Saying they are blending in some family system with what they learned from Tuhon Gaje, what does that really matter. Anyways, its fairly common in FMA groups, that if an eskrimador feels up to it, they prefer to shine under thier own light, rather than stay in the shadows of their teacher. If they have the skill to back it up, so what. One thing that can be said about the Sayoc clan, despite all the hype, they have fought, and have done well. So what if they spout a load of BS, so many groups do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well said Kuya :)

Yup, they are big dudes. And I leave it at that less some people here bash me for being unPC and not respecting the metabolically-challenged.

Before I started hearing the Sayoc Mcdojo stories, I was already hearing about the Sayocs claiming that Pekiti Tirsia's knife techniques are taken from them. I do know that it's the other way around.

If they're copying from Manong Gaje, then it's just right for them to admit to it. They should give credit where credit is due..

peace :)

***ned

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 4:05am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read this regarding Sayoc Kali and PTK.

At the very least it should shed a little light on this subject.

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 4:43am

Style: insane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hiji Kime wrote: "some of the best FMA guys in the world are the ones you don't hear about. They're the ones who keep a low profile, even over here, and are only known to the longtime FMA people. And they prefer it that way"

Grandmaster Johnny Chiuten for example
    http://johnnychiuten.8m.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What people involved in the FMA believe is incredible. Just because someone says he is something, print he something or website he is something, people believe it is true.
    Now does anyone truely believe, especially those "expert FMA knife fighters" that a person like Chris can take your knife away? And are you stupid enough to let him. Ever think of spitting in his face first before you kick him below his belly, then using the knife. And why if you were a logical person, be in a situation where you would be in a knife fight. Most of you live in a fantasy where you think someone gives you a chance to square off with a knife. Asked those of us who have been stabbed, even those with FMA experience.
    A street bum can beat Danny, Chris, or any other grandmaster on the list, on any given day.

Point is: Challenge, question and validate whatever is taught, because it is your life. Don't concern yourself with names, legends, and titles. So don't start with "who is your instructor, what is your rank, where do you train, my instructor can beat yours and how much experience do you have" because it is meaningless.

I await the slamming...............
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast