Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 6:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    {Rant}

I have noticed a few people around the forums who are violently allergic to the word chi. I have not known them to whine about Ki but it is hardly ever brought up.

At the slightest mention of traditional MA, chi, there being something they haven't seen. They start being a jackass.

I think they see themselves as helping delusional fanatics who are trying to master the hadoken.

These people know that there is a whole lot of bullshido happening in places. They want to inform the 10year old BB that a kitten could kick his ass. Most however take this healthy normal desire to an extreme level.

These people believe that unless there a physics book about it the art can't work. They do not want to believe us when we tell them what chi is. Breathing and concentration, that is all the kind of chi we talk about here is. Chi is not he force. There is no Chi lightning, no chi choke, and no flaming chi.

These people usually also think that "NHB" TV is the end all and be all of MA. While it is kind of fun the rules ether hose strikers of grapplers depending on who just revised them. As it stands it hoses strikers. Why does it hose strikers? They are just to lethal. If it were a true NHB grapplers would have to be a lot more careful with what they leave open.

My main annoyance with these people are that they act like a jackass. They state their opinion and give no intelligent comment thereafter, while claiming that you were unable to beat their inane logic.

An example.

Dim Mak : Just squeeze the neck to disrupt their chi flow.
    Star Trek : Squeeze just above the collar bone at the nerve cluster to knock them out by disrupting the nerve impulses and causing the brain to shut down temporarily.

Both describe the vulcan neck pinch, the one on the top gives them a skepticgazim. The one at the bottom makes them go piss of there little sister/brother.

Do me a favor and win a Darwin award.
    {/Rant}
    Now lets see people get pissed at me for directly accusing them of things, even though no one was directly accused. However they won't now that I have stated this.

Edited by - jarmis on July 16 2003 07:01:58

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 8:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that the definition/s of chi change with the times, with the viewpoint / experience of the person, with whatever the argument is about or many other variables. I don't think anyone has a problem with terms like "focus" or "breathing" or "intent" but that doesn't tie in with the trad view of chi running through (presumably) invisible channels in the body or the use of "chi" to explain feats of good body structure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 1:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, however my point on this one was that no one here believes that after taking a five minute class we can hop over a house because of our chi.

----

X

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends what you mean by chi; usually, regardless of whatever it's said to be, gains some unreasonable powers to the user. I quote one post I posted elsewhere on this matter:

"I absolutely do not believe in Chi. It's a kind of pseudoscience thing like ESP/PSI.

I do believe that some things that people credit to chi, however do work. I don't have any problem with pressure point attacks, for example. But I do NOT think that they work because of 'chi flow'; it's nerves...

Of course everyone is free to believe in anything they like, but if you like cash, you of course know that James Randi probably still hands cash to anyone who proves that chi or similar things work.

BUT of course your description above says that chi is just breathing etc, but what does it actually do then?"

Your description seems more sensible, but what does your version, in your opinion, allow you to do?

AND no, I'm not trying to be insulting in any way, just interested.

X

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 1:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap I screwed up the quotation marks & editing... but I hope there's still something readable in that ;)...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    personally i have always thought of "chi" as devloping those "secondary"senses that everyone has, sense of balance, highly devolped kinestic sense(feel), sense of timing, judging of distance,breathing, etc, combined with an amazing amount of experiance
    so nothing supernatural but still damned impressive

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO
    Chi, allows you to do nothing, it aids you in doing things.

I always saw its functions to be a self hypnosis.

You know how when you are mad you put more force into your actions than you would normally. It is just that except the extra release is not from anger it is from concentration and breathing.

Weather it is self-hypnosis, chi, ki, a release of hormones, or autokienitic response it does about the same thing.

Willys explanation is good to.
    ----

Edited by - jarmis on July 16 2003 14:40:37

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well as long as that is how you see it....it is bullshit

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

X

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm from reading those I wouldn't necessarily say it's bullshit, but it seems it's kind of like a religious thing. -> If you really believe in it, it can help you at least mentally. But I can see it's not for me then...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2003 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i mean it is bullshit to take something and say "well that's how i FEEL about it" so that's what it means to me...
    Weather it is self-hypnosis, chi, ki, a release of hormones, or autokienitic response it does about the same thing.
    fire, water, love, garbage...it does the same thing...(etc)

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    i can do anuything as long as i am surrounded by twenty friends and the berimbau is playing my song
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast