Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about sitting out while holding north-south in order to bring my leg up under their arm and catching it but the position and angles never actually materialize.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I was picturing...

damn - all I want to do is get out of the office and try all this out!
    -Jordan

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:17pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about getting it from side control right now. Work on the basic one from sideride versus the turtle.

Print this and use it as a reference:

http://www.tampabjj.com/techniques/reverse-omoplata/

Ignore the crucifix choke and pay attention to how he traps and crosses the arm in this video:

http://www.grappling.us/samples/grap..._sample_08.mov

Ignore the guard pass setup just pay attention to how I roll and finish once I've trapped the arm here:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Reverse-Omo-Plata-v1.html

That should get you started nicely.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I'll take your word for it and try it the technical way.

And thanks again for consolidating all this information.
    I rarely have an instructor, and I do most of my learning from dvd's, books, and the internet. Your making all these tech's conveniently available has really been a big help to me - on this site and on every other bjj technique page I can find on the web.
    -Jordan

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:32pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you train?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:44pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Story time.

Me and another blue belt were sparring one night. He is probably 20-30 lbs. heavier than me and has a wrestling background. I cannot keep him down since he will always just buck me off and go to knees.

I passed his guard and tried to take side control but could not stop him from coming up and trying to single leg me, but he made the mistake of putting his head on the outside, so I go the crucifix and reverse omoplata.

We start again and I get side control. Again, single leg with head outside, crucifix, reverse omoplata.

I stop and tell him what's happening. I show him how he needs to keep his head inside or do a double leg instead to avoid the crucifix. I explain the reverse omoplata. He understand and we keep rolling.

Side control again, he comes up and does a good single leg, head inside. I sprawl, go to his side, harness, drive my knee in, hook his arm, crucifix, reverse omoplata.

I wish I had a real punchline but you'll just to have to imagine the look of confusion and disappointment on his face for yourself.

It helps when you realize this was the second night in a row that I did three consecutive reverse omoplata on him.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 3:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started at a Royce Gracie network school under a purple belt for 2 months.

Then I was injured and left for 2 more months.

Then I started training again at our university club under the leadership of a blue belt from the Royce school.

That brings me to this summer, during which I've trained with another university club headed by a Renzo purple belt. The purple got mat herpes a while ago though, and he hasn't been there to teach in over a month.

Come september I plan on starting up with the first university club again, and I really, really want to start classes at Araujo BJJ (I added Araujo as a Carlson black belt on bjjinfo.org).

The point is, I've never had an instructor long enough to keep an eye on me and really give me any advice regarding specific techniques or building a gameplan. It's been rare that someone has been there to say, "No, you should be doing it more like this."

I've been actively seeking out people to roll with all the time, but I end up teaching myself a lot of my techniques. My most common subs are triangles from rubber guard, reverse triangles, North-South choke, d'arce/brabo/anaconda/brabocondacutioner. I learned the rubber guard from Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed, reverse triangles through creativity, North-South choke comes from watching Monson and reading about it on Sherdog, and the whole mess of arm-triangles came from Subfighter.com.

When I look at my game, the stuff I like to do has been almost entirely self taught, or at least taught without a real, live instructor.

I don't see this as a badge of honor - It mostly just pisses me off that I've been doing BJJ for a year now w/o consistent, quality instruction. Next year I'm hoping to get settled into the new school, and that will hopefully take a lot of pressure off of me to get everything just right without any help.
    -Jordan

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 5:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some exotic stuff you're into for someone who has just been training bjj for one year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 6:34pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    Very interesting. I've been trying to work north-south position into my top game more - trying to flow towards the head to maintain top control. I'll have some opportunity to mess around from there.

There will be even more experimenting tonight.

My training partner is going to hate me, but I'm working with this until I get it, damnit!
    North South is awesome. I actually get into that position alot because I like avoiding guards and move around my opponent.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 7:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :angryfire

I couldn't be more frustrated. My BJJ instructor sends me an email this morning to tell me that he'll be back to train tonight (after having taken most of the summer off), and then he blows me off.

I understand that he was recoving from a mat rash, but don't send me a fucking email with a place and time to meet if you're not going to be there.

Or, if you're not going to be there, send another email and tell me, so I don't walk across town in 100 degree heat just to sit around for an hour waiting for you to NOT SHOW UP.

Anyway, that means that today I accomplished nothing, and I'm going to have to wait a month before I get another chance to roll. So thanks anyway for all your help and advice, but I'm just going to have to put it on the shelf for a while.
    -Jordan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast