Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is a normal omoplata once you are at the point where you are on your back and the guy is rolling forward, no? It is just the omoplata position where you grab the leg to keep him from rolling away?

I see that the initial setup is different. And the finish. Maybe I am missing the connection between them?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:07pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you need to take a closer look at the reverse omoplata on this page:

http://www.tampabjj.com/techniques/reverse-omoplata/

The mid-roll position (on your back, hugging the leg) is similar to a normal omoplata but notice how the arm and legs are entangled.

In a normal omoplata, the back of your knee/calf is applying pressure to the back of their shoulder. Their wrist is trapped by your hips/waist. See the photo above.

In the reverse omoplata, your knee/calf is applying pressure to their wrist/forearm, like this:

As for what the arms can do to help the finish, I like to keep holding the knee with my free hand as the other elbow is on the floor under their armpit to lock down their upper body. Like so:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. Thanks for the clarification. I am going to try this out.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to do this from guard? Say he's passing on your right, you swivel on your butt in the direction he's passing and trap the arm with your leg (same motion as the quarter guard sweep), kindof like crucifix guard but you're all on one side. Then maybe you roll into it?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:32pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No one believes me but these are actually easier to finish that regular omoplatas. You have far more control over the arm and they have very few escapes and cannot just try to posture out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:34pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way I have got it "from guard" is similar to what you propose: bait the passes so they put their arm under my leg (as in a stacking pass), then shove their head down and come to my knees with crucifix. If I do this quickly enough and switch the arm back really fast, you might as well have said I did it from guard, but I am technical taking the crucifix first.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was also wondering why all of Aeso's set-ups require the 'reverse omoplata roll' in them...

Why aren't there setups from side-control or north-south that don't require a roll? It seems to me that if you can do the Americana with your legs from Scarf Hold, then you might be able to do the Kimura with your legs from Reverse Scarf Hold. Or Reverse Omoplata from modified Twister Side Control or something like that.

I want to try this out tonight too... Aeso, is there an obvious reason you don't recommend a non-rolling setup for this technique?
    -Jordan

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:46pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started setting it from butterfly after seeing Nino do it to Margarida for the famous flying reverse omoplata.

1. Let's say I have a loose butterfly guard (hooks just hanging out around their thighs) with a collar grip with my right hand and my left hand posted behind me.
    2. They underhook my left leg like they want to start working some kind of stacking pass.
    3. I take my right hook and kick my leg through to the opposite side of their body. This goes over my left hook.
    4. As I do this, I slide my hips into them, like I want to sit on their thigh.
    5. I snap down their head as I come to my knees for the crucifix.
    6. Cross the arm and reverse omoplata.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:50pm

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're free to try non-rolling setups from side control and north-south. I've often thought of doing it from there but every time I've tried has failed. It is REALLY hard to get the deep enough entanglement of their arm without the rolling setups. Every time I've tried to get it from reverse scarf hold by just pushing their arm under my calf, they either just have too much power to stop me or I can't get it deep enough. It'll feel like I might get a straight elbow lock but they usually just struggle pull their arm out as soon as they get scared.

The closest I've seen to a reverse omplata from side control was a setup in an old Grapple mag. The guy would pass their arm under his calf from reverse scarf hold, then jump over to the other side (forcing them to turtle) where he got their arm trapped deeper, then he rolled back to the finish.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting. I've been trying to work north-south position into my top game more - trying to flow towards the head to maintain top control. I'll have some opportunity to mess around from there.

There will be even more experimenting tonight.

My training partner is going to hate me, but I'm working with this until I get it, damnit!
    -Jordan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast