Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rolling or not

On the current randori thread different definitions of rolling seem to be in use. This makes me curious about a few things, the main one is what people consider rolling to be.

Mainly, which of the following two situations would be considered rolling (my opinions in parentheses)
    -Starting from a set position and altering who is where. Eg. starting with one person having side control. Reset back to in side control when the person on their back reverses or puts the opponent back to guard. Person on top can transition between top positions and submit their opponnent (Not rolling, situational drilling)

-Starting from a set position and altering who is where. Eg. starting with one person having side control. Reset back to in side control only when one person is submitted. (Rolling)

I'm guessing most people will agree with the first but perhaps not the second.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 12:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would call the first "drilling" but then that confuses people think of drilling as putting in static reps. So I call it isolated or positional sparring so they understand that I want there to be resistance.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We call the first one specifics: as in working on a specific position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 12:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I would call the first "drilling" but then that confuses people think of drilling as putting in static reps. So I call it isolated or positional sparring so they understand that I want there to be resistance.
    Yeah, we call it positional drilling.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you intentionally allow someone to start with side control on you, you don't consider that rolling?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 6:53pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    On the current randori thread different definitions of rolling seem to be in use. This makes me curious about a few things, the main one is what people consider rolling to be.

Mainly, which of the following two situations would be considered rolling (my opinions in parentheses)
    -Starting from a set position and altering who is where. Eg. starting with one person having side control. Reset back to in side control when the person on their back reverses or puts the opponent back to guard. Person on top can transition between top positions and submit their opponnent (Not rolling, situational drilling)

-Starting from a set position and altering who is where. Eg. starting with one person having side control. Reset back to in side control only when one person is submitted. (Rolling)

I'm guessing most people will agree with the first but perhaps not the second.
    both a different drills, i consider it to be rolling when both people start from equal positions

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 7:04pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always defined "rolling" as sparring without strikes. You're trying to sub the guy, he's trying to sub you, etc. Where you start isn't that important, but it's usually from standing.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every Weds night at Cobra Kai we do this.

You begin with your partner in a dominant position. He either submits you or you escape. When either happens you switch positions and once both guys have been in both positions you get off the mat for a new pair of guys.

You usually get 2 or 3 rounds in per position with short breaks between partners calling you out on the mat.

At Cobra Kai it goes like this:

1) Back drill. One guy on all fours. Top guy has no hooks, but under one arm gripping his other hand over the opposite shoulder.

2) Side control drill. One guy flat on his back grabbing his own hands. Top guy has a Kimura grip on the far side.

3) Front headlock drill. One guy on all fours. One guy with arms gripped around bottom guy - head and arm inside.

4) Triangle/Omoplata drill. Begin with one guy inside an almost closed triangle but with his arm NOT cross over.

5) Open guard drill. Top guy is standing. Bottom guy is sitting up. If bottom guy can disengage enough to stand up 2x he wins. This forces top guy to instantly engage and try to pass. A pass means bottom guy loses, and a sub from either guy counts as a loss to the victim.

It owns. You get in positions you wouldn't normally let yourself get into and you learn ways out. Or you tap and you try again later. Weds night is one of the most popular nights because people recognize the value of these drills. They aren't exactly 'sparring' but these drills are more like positional sparring that will help your overall sparring game.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too only use "rolling" to describe when you start with no contact at all and each man has to scramble for position.

This is why I say I don't roll yet. I have done both the things Upa describes in most of my classes, but I am not allowed to roll "free" as I put it--all subs allowed, no starting position, etc.

I guess I consider "rolling" to mean you are testing ALL parts of your grappling game.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/02/2006 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rolling is starting neutral to me. Starting from a particular position is situational sparring to me, which I would classify as a drill. Comes down to semantics really though. As long as you actually do all of the above, its all good.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast