Page 9 of 430 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959109 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 6:41pm

Style: jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agentcooper, i was asking b/c i had a friend going to tech a couple years ago and he had gone to train at his school in lubbock and was told he had fought in K-1 and i thought he had to have been misunderstood. my friend then took the bjj course at tech and found out a lot of interesting things in regards to klay/clay/larry but i guess he had a hard time getting out of his contract. interesting. i had always chalked it up to interpretation and second hand sources but my friend alerted me to this thread so i really appreciate your response. nuff said for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 8:31pm

Style: random

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    grandnat - do you know or have heard of the name that he gave you, as a legit BJJ black belt? Let me rattle a few off:

Metroplex: Machado, Lutter, JD Shelley, Allen Mohler, Yousef Alirezaei, Robert DeFranco, Kenny McClure, Tery Corkran, Kirk Gibson, Buddy Clinton

Lubbock: Klay Pittman

Austin: William Vandry, Phil Cardella

San Antonio: Bruno Azevedo

Silsbee: Pat Hardy

Houston:
    Alvis Solis, Eric Williams, Art Alvarado, Siggi Schoen, Robert Soliz, Travis Tooke, Leo Xavier... and occasionally Crazy Dave Phillips for short, random periods of time

Is the black belt he says is coming, in this list?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 8:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight
    and occasionally Crazy Dave Phillips for short, random periods of time
    ROFLMFAO!!!!

Damn it, Paul! I just shot Coca-Cola through my nose and all over my keyboard!

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 8:40pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haganah = Pre-statehood Israeli fighting force.

Also = "Another Israeli combat system that tries to distinguish itself from Krav."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:15pm

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight
    grandnat - do you know or have heard of the name that he gave you, as a legit BJJ black belt? Let me rattle a few off:

Metroplex: Machado, Lutter, JD Shelley, Allen Mohler, Yousef Alirezaei, Robert DeFranco, Kenny McClure, Tery Corkran, Kirk Gibson, Buddy Clinton

Houston:
    Alvis Solis, Eric Williams, Art Alvarado, Siggi Schoen, Robert Soliz, Travis Tooke, Leo Xavier... and occasionally Crazy Dave Phillips for short, random periods of time

I pretty much know everyone on your list personally or at the very least are familiar with them.

He is not on the list, but I know who he is and I have talked to the person that gave him his belt. He is legit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 1:50am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    Ya, that was... [thinking] ... Ah! Kravchick (sp?) [/thinking] (whew, that's better).

She hasn't posted in awhile. Seemed like a nice gal...
    Thanks! I'm not through reading the posts yet, but wanted to wave and say I'm still around! I mainly lurk, since I don't have much to contribute, and don't know enough to ask intelligent questions yet!

Once I read through the rest of the posts, I'll try and respond to what of them I can. :D

:icon_salu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 2:27am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well, now...

I can't speak to any of the stuff you guys are going on about, Sensei Klay's creds & all... I'm a complete n00b, and don't have a clue about all that stuff.

I can tell you that he's all of 6' 7" or 6' 8" (I can't be that precise). I'm 5' 10" and my hubby is 6' 2" and Sensei easily has 5-6" on him. So that's 100% on the up-n-up. As for his weight, it's less than it was when the photo on the Bedford website was taken, he's more toned now. And yes, his girlfriend is hot. (Not that it's relevant, but she is, and a complete sweetheart, too.)

I don't have anything to judge Sensei's skills by, given that I don't have any other first-hand exposure to martial arts. The closest I have is friends who are ex-military (one who was a Marine) and play-sparring with them. I have shown some of the techniques I've been taught to my ex-Marine buddy, and he approves of what we're learning. He even expects me to start contact sparring with him in a few months.

I'll leave the grilling about his resume to you guys and Sensei Klay. He is a good teacher, and has good people working with him, and we enjoy the classes immensely. We still have a lot to learn there, and we'll keep going until we don't have anything to learn anymore. Sensei is great with our girls, both of them are showing so much more confidence and strength in the way they carry themselves. I feel better about myself, and so does my hubby. We're getting in shape, getting stronger, and healthier. I think that's enough for us to focus on right now. :-D

If you get him to host a throwdown, I'd love to come, so long as grappling isn't required! :glasses9:

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 8:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Houston:

The "Black Belt" that he is bringing in on the weekend is indeed NOT on that list. Why? Because he didn't get his Black Belt from Carlos Machado or any of Carlos Machados Black Belts. He is more like a good brown belt. How do I know this? Because I've trained with him and know very well who he is. He wasn't a Black Belt before he left Lubbock so if he got one I'd like to know who gave it to him.

The guy in question is good. No question there and if you do roll with him you better bring your A-game. But has far as his legitimacy being a true BJJ Black Belt......that's not true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 9:08am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps I was mistaken.. either way, a good brown belt, as you said is still very legit.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2006 11:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind this guy was never "officially" given a brown belt by any legit BJJ instructor. He did get a purple from Carlos though.

Just FYI.
Page 9 of 430 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959109 ... LastLast