Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:50am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.unitedprofessionals.com/testimonials.php
    Larry C. L'Onis

the C might stand for Clay as in his web address.
    http://www.tigerclayskravmaga.com/

However, after he left Lubbock it seems he has changed the spelling of his name to Klay.

his webpage now refers to him as "Klay L'Onis" instead of Larry C. L'Onis.

You also see Tiger Klay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saturday, May 12, 2001
    Last modified at 1:26 a.m. on Saturday, May 12, 2001
    2001 - The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-J Photo/Jesus Arenas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Holds Barred
    Battlefield-tested self-defense system makes its way to city

By JESUS ARENAS
    A-J Special Contributor

Krav Maga, the Hebrew self-defense system exclusively developed for the Israeli military, now is available to civilians in West Texas.
    Originally developed in the 1940s, Krav Maga (pronounced krahv ma-GAH) was available only to the Israeli military. In the 1980s it was introduced to law enforcement agencies and later to civilians. It has been available in the United States for about 20 years. However, because of its exclusiveness, only a few cities have training centers.

Krav Maga is an all-out, no-holds-barred, anything goes self-defense system. There are no rituals, no poses and no rules about what's allowable and what's not :hitlerdan whether its gouging an eye or throwing a punch to the throat.

Larry L'Onis, owner of Tiger Martial Arts in Lubbock, is the person responsible for bringing Krav Maga to West Texas. L'Onis, 26, has 16 years of training in martial arts and self-defense and 11 years of teaching experience. In July 2000, L'Onis, who has ranks in seven other systems, became the youngest person to be inducted into the Texas Martial Arts Hall of Fame. His training center is one of six in Texas that teaches Krav Maga.

Teaching Krav Maga requires a license, which is difficult to acquire. Anyone teaching without a license faces legal action. The Krav Maga Association of America prides itself in letting only the best teach the self-defense system.

For $2,500, KMAA offers a 72-hour certification course for prospective trainers. A startup fee and monthly retainer are required if a trainer opens a training center.

Barbi Matthews, 22, a senior occupational therapy major at Texas Tech, said the benefits from Krav Maga are great. Matthews said she believes Krav Maga has given her enough confidence to get out of any physical confrontation.

''I feel more confident. I used to be afraid to go out at night, but now I am not,'' Matthews said. ''On a confidence scale from one to five, I used to be a two, but now I am a four.''

Matthews said that besides the self-confidence she has obtained from training, she said she receives other benefits.

''I think my muscle tone has gotten better, and other things, like my posture, have improved,'' Matthews said.

In Krav Maga, L'Onis said, the only rule is to use every weapon at your disposal. Critics label Krav Maga as too violent because students are taught to gouge an attacker's eyes or kick someone in the groin. But Krav Maga essentially is based on training a person's instincts.

''We take a person's natural instincts and turn them into a defense,'' L'Onis said. ''It's easy to apply under stressful situations. It builds aggression, and it is designed to make a weaker person stronger.''

In 1987 law enforcement agencies began to add Krav Maga into their training curricula. The Lubbock Police Department in 1998 added Krav Maga techniques to its self-defense system.

Lubbock police Detective Doug Sutton said he has been teaching self-defense for 15 years. The best thing about Krav Maga, he said, is that it is easy to learn.

''It's an excellent program. It is easily retainable,'' Sutton said. ''It doesn't require lots of repetitive training, and it's been proven and battlefield tested.''

Sutton said other police departments in Texas are considering adding Krav Maga to their training. Many police departments in the United States, he said, all ready use Krav Maga as a self-defense system.

''It is the dominant self-defense system for police departments in California,'' Sutton said. California is the home of the Krav Maga National Training Center.

Police Capt. Gordon Hoffman of the Texas Tech Police Department said his department does not use Krav Maga as a self-defense system.

''We focus on non-lethal force,'' Hoffman said. ''We use verbal judo to de-escalate a situation, but if it doesn't work, our officers are trained to use their batons.''

Officers can train in Krav Maga on their own if they want to, but the Tech Police Department does not require such training, Hoffman said.

Still, Krav Maga does have its advantages, Hoffman said.

''There are positive aspects about Krav Maga. With it, you could contain a suspect a little quicker,'' he said.

L'Onis said that anyone can learn and utilize Krav Maga and it is great for people who want to learn how to defend themselves properly.

''Krav Maga is a lot more reality based. It is the best and easiest system for people to pick up,'' L'Onis said.

L'Onis added that with Krav Maga, students can immediately apply what they learn.

''I think you can apply it a lot sooner than other forms. You don't have to train for four to six years to be good at it,'' L'Onis said.

It takes two months to learn the basics of Krav Maga and about two years to earn a black belt in the system, he said.

''To have a good understanding to fight and defend, you will know everything you need to know in the first two months,'' L'Onis said.

(Jesus Arenas is a reporting student at Texas Tech.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 11:19am

Style: random

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure his intention was different, but Clay/Klay's use of the word "just" here is funny:

"The biggest advice
    I could use right now, would be what I need to do to have all students recognize that we are not just after them
    for every penny we can drain from them within the first six months"

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good catch there Arclight.......I wonder why his school folded in Lubbock? I wonder why the doors are locked up with all his equipment still inside? Hmmmm, the only time I've seen that happen was when the bank or the landlord came in and locked the doors due to back rent etc.

Maybe it's all some sort of "misunderstanding"....kind of like all the "A.K.A.'s"

Surely this guys knows how confusing all of this looks. From closed down schools, weird long lists of phoney creditentials, and even longer names. Maybe that works on your "average" student that you aren't "JUST" after every penny they make but that crap doesn't fly with other REAL martial artists/students trying to learn who they are dealing with.

I call major B.S. on this character whoever he is. I've never met him in person but I would bet after you talked to him you might walk away cashing out for a years worth of training, all kinds of gear in a bag, and maybe even a used car! By the time you got in your new/used car and drove away you start thinking...."What the hell just happened?"

One more thing:
    • Krav Maga
    • Haganah
    • Kickboxing
    • Judo, Sambo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    • NHB & MMA
    Taken from his website....isn't "Haganah" the word that the principal from the "Breakfast Club" uses when he is standing in front of the mirror in the restroom?

"Haganah"...or is it "Hagadagda"........:)
    Last edited by AgentCooper; 8/04/2006 4:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:25pm

Style: jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    had a friend go by his school in lubbock today and it does seem to have been closed hastily and their is some type of collection notice posted on the door. agent cooper, perhaps you have some more insights here. you seemed to have a good idea of the bjj level he posseses, or perhaps doesn't possess. share some more. although, i surely couldn't blame the school from not being financially viable with Klay Pittman's bjj school there. i'm sure it would be tough to compete strictly based on bjj with a legit top notch bjj blackbelt teaching in a town that small. my biggest question is that he seemed to change the clay to klay, seems a bit odd.

i sure hope for his sake it doesn't come that he just took a couple months of bjj from pittman's and now claims to be able to teach legit bjj or that he just certified in krav maga over a weekend.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i sure hope for his sake it doesn't come that he just took a couple months of bjj from pittman's and now claims to be able to teach legit bjj or that he just certified in krav maga over a weekend.
    As far as I know he has NEVER taken legit BJJ classes from Pittman's. However, a few of Pittman's drop-outs went over to Tiger CLAY's school to teach BJJ over there. A couple of them claimed to be black belts from Pittman's. This of course was far from the truth. At most they were mid-level blues with the exception of one.

He did eventually hook up with another one of Pittman's drop-outs who is actually pretty good on the mat. Possibly decent brown belt level....so at that point they probably had decent BJJ instruction but Sensei "Larry" or whatever is NOT that skilled on the mat at least not enough to claim to teach it well.

For example....the guy that posted here that is a purple. He went to the school to train and low and behold Sensei didn't want to train with him. He taught stand-up and then mentioned to come in on the weekend to roll. I'll tell you what.....if I owned my own school and claimed to teach BJJ and a visiting purple belt came in he would be the FIRST person I rolled with....no question. What instructor would put a visiting purple with a bunch of newbie whites?????? That has got to tell you something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From his claimed background it seems like he learned his BJJ from other TMA guys who learned some BJJ. Probably from seminars or from tapes themselves. Mike Kanarek has some BJJ in his program if Clay/Klay's claim to be under Kanarek is even legit.

Regardless, his BJJ is highly suspect just from the looks of things already.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arclight....can you receive privat messages here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AgentCooper - yes.

Thinkchair - what about his resume implies that it is good enough when it comes to BJJ and NHB? Especially when you have highly specious things going on like misrepresenting a small MA convention/HOF event as the World Games (which is not a minor event), and putting on there that he received "NHB Fighter of the Year" honors when he has no verifiable NHB experience, AND is using someone else's fight photo misleadingly to validate that he fights.

Moreover I think the other thing that the "NHB Fighter of the Year" award brings up is the subject of "pay-to-play" hall of fames, a rampant virus in the martial arts world. Basically you can get any honor you want as long as you pony up some cash. Now I bring this up because, honestly, what kind of organization would give that title to someone with no real NHB experience? Either he completely misrepresented himself or that hall of fame is suspect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record I expected to roll with him but did not directly ask when I got there. Maybe I was nieve in assuming that since he knew about this thread (and posted on it BEFORE I visited) that he knew what I was there for. That could have been my fault, but I thought it was obvious.

Here is my quote from my last post a few hours before I went to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandnat
    I think rolling with you will put to bed any questions about your abilities.
    He was busy teaching while I was rolling, (the schedule said 8- 8:30 "BJJ sparring")and I did not want to interrupt kickboxing class. I probably rolled for about 30 after class closed. ( rolled for an hour total)

The school is only a little over 4 months old, so I didn't expect there to be anything but whitebelts, but I was happy to roll with them anyways.

He did mention that a black belt was comming to the school on saturday (tomorrow) and that I should come and "check it out". He gave me the guys name but I don't think it is relevant since this guy seems like a legit BJJ player and knows his stuff.

I also cannot find fault in him bringing in a brown belt or higher to teach, that seems like a good thing to me.

I just wanted to go there and give my honest opinion on his BJJ instruction since it looks to be a major part of the school's curriculum.

As far as i am concerned I can neither confirm nor deny his instructing ability with regard to BJJ.

However, the evidence that is stacking against his claims is building.
    Last edited by Grandnat; 8/04/2006 6:12pm at .
Page 8 of 430 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858108 ... LastLast