Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 12:59am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they have any dedicated standup trainers? An MMA class as well? I personally wouldn't be spending just shy of 200$ on training just one range of combat unless I was a professional fighter/had the money to seek outside training as well.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 6:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    Hannibal, it's not enough to find a Judo or wrestling club. You actually have to train there.
    Oh lord. Hannibal again takes the facial and keeps coming back for more.

('._.)

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 8:36am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyartist101
    ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Phalange
    It depends. How much do you make and how much can you spare?

I pay $100/mo for 3-6 classes a week.

I wouldn't pay that much, but that's because I can't afford it.
    I can afford it but I don't wanna feel like I'm throwing my money away.

Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    I know the instructor - Mike Casey. I have trained and rolled with the guy. He is very very good and has trained with Relson himself. Those sound like unlimited training. It is cheaper of you go only for X amount of days. At least at my Relson school it is. I suggest you talk to Mike yourself. At my school I can pay $130 for unlimited. Mike Casey as been running a school for a very long time and he helped my instructor to start his own school. Also your in NY.... NY cheaper than other places... I think... *shrugs*
    This just occured to me just now and the edit button was still avail.... Relson's own school has rates for 3 or so days a week. So that is usally the generic rate plan for other Relson schools...
    Hmmm... I'm gonna call him and see if I could go for like 3 days a week. Thanks a bunch guys and gal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 3:34pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When considering whether or not a price seems fair you also have to factor in the location. Itís easy for people to come on here and post ďItís too expensive I only pay $80 where I train.Ē Thatís all fine and good but where do you live? Some parts of the country everything is way more expensive and New York is near the top of the list (unless youíre living out in the middle of nowhere). If this same guy opened up a school in Maine he wouldnít be able to even think about charging $180 a month to train since the average yearly income there is something like $28,000. Obviously due to the higher population density and higher income in New York you will have to pay more for training than if you lived somewhere else. You will have to compare his rates to other comparable schools in the area to determine as to whether his rates are reasonable or not.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/04/2006 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Do they have any dedicated standup trainers? An MMA class as well? I personally wouldn't be spending just shy of 200$ on training just one range of combat unless I was a professional fighter/had the money to seek outside training as well.
    My feelings exactly. A lot of pure BJJ schools down here in SoFla go around $100+ to $150 a month unlimited (except the Gracie academy in North Miami, $160+ for 3 times a week, or with the Popovitchs at $200 for unlimited). By pure BJJ, I mean only BJJ and at most 1 or 2 Vale Tudo classes.

If you were going to a gym with multiple disciplines, at least here in South Florida, it's between $160 to $250. But then, you are training grappling and Muay Thai (or something like that.)

Qixote, I would not call this school a rip-off. There is a name behind it, and names are everything. Demand determines how much people are willing to pay. Furthermore, the more pristine and nice the gym is, the more expensive it may be. Location determine how much the gym owner has to pay monthly.

I would certainly not call this school a rip-off since AT LEAST it gives you choices of enrollment (12 months, 6 months, no contract). Maybe, if you really, really like it, talk to the head instructor. Maybe he can cut you a deal where you pay less for say, 2 classes a week.

If you are lucky he may let you pay for 3 only, I doubt it, though, for I bet a lot of those who pay for unlimited access train 3 times a week on average (just my out-of-the-ass wild guess.)

Expensive, yes; rip-off, no.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2006 10:02pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike Casey's school is far from a rip off. Austin sends our guys up there every so often... we just sent Kamal Shalorus - Wrestling Olympic Team Member - to do a takedown clinic. He has done some cage fights in the UK and such. Very good stuff happening at that school. Very very much worth the money. Thats where I would be going if I lived in NYC. I would go there once or twice a month if I lived a train's ride away in another state too.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train for 100 a month, which gets me 2 classes a week. Open mat included if I feel up to it on Saturdays.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2006 2:18pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I planned to start BJJ in October and I thought our school here was expensive at $75 per month (5 classes available per week); but I guess it's not that bad after all

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/08/2006 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything more than $50/month is greedy, or they're paying too much for lease/rent on their facility, so ****'em anyway.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast