Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None ATM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this BJJ school too expensive?

They just opened a Relson Gracie JJ right in town. My brother and I went to a free introductory class and we both really liked it. The teacher was insightful and generally a cool guy. It has two locations, one in the Bronx and one in Tuckahoe (right next to me). At the end of the class we ask about the fees and I was surprised it was so expensive. The membership fee for the Tuckahoe location (Bronx classes included):

$179 per mo. for 12 months + 4% tax
    $189 per mo. for 6 months + 4% tax
    $199 per mo. for Open Ending Membership + 4% tax

I was pretty dissappointed because I really want to learn BJJ and theres no other school around.

I just read this thread and compared to the other school's prices I think this place is a rip-off.

What do you guys think? Too expensive? The schools website is here - Gracieny.com and their schedule

- Thanks
    Last edited by quixote; 12/21/2006 5:26pm at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 9:22pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends. How much do you make and how much can you spare?

I pay $100/mo for 3-6 classes a week.

I wouldn't pay that much, but that's because I can't afford it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 9:24pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quixote
    They just opened a Relson Gracie JJ right in town. My brother and I went to a free introductory class and we both really liked it. The teacher was insightful and generally a cool guy. It has two locations, one in the Bronx and one in Tuckahoe (right next to me). At the end of the class we ask about the fees and I was surprised it was so expensive. The membership fee for the Tuckahoe location (Bronx classes included):

I was pretty dissappointed because I really want to learn BJJ and theres no other school around.

I just read this thread and compared to the other school's prices I think this place is a rip-off.

What do you guys think? Too expensive? The schools website is here - Gracieny.com and their schedule

- Thanks
    I know the instructor - Mike Casey. I have trained and rolled with the guy. He is very very good and has trained with Relson himself. Those sound like unlimited training. It is cheaper of you go only for X amount of days. At least at my Relson school it is. I suggest you talk to Mike yourself. At my school I can pay $130 for unlimited. Mike Casey as been running a school for a very long time and he helped my instructor to start his own school. Also your in NY.... NY cheaper than other places... I think... *shrugs*
    This just occured to me just now and the edit button was still avail.... Relson's own school has rates for 3 or so days a week. So that is usally the generic rate plan for other Relson schools...
    Last edited by eviechu; 7/30/2006 10:07pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/enshin karate/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyartist101
    ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.
    Everyone knows Aikido has the best groundwork anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's only too expensive if the school goes under for lack of students.

Posted On:
    7/30/2006 11:49pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Renzo has a school in Manhattan and I think it's 180 for unlimited.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuckin right it's too expensive. The last BJJ school I went to wanted $67- per fortnight which is $134- per month. No way.

If it's grappling you want, go find a wrestling or Judo club. Thats what I did.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal, it's not enough to find a Judo or wrestling club. You actually have to train there.

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 12:53am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by quixote

- Thanks
    Unfortunately that price does seem very expensive, most likely playing off of the Gracie link.

Most fight gyms and jujitsu schools in my area run around 70-100 dollars a month for unlimited classes. Some go up to around 120, but I haven't seen many gyms as expensive as 179 a month plus tax... and that's for a 12 month plan, which I wouldn't recommend.

In the end it's still your call.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast